Apparently these busted forks aren't busted?

delete_my_account
delete_my_account Posts: 192
edited January 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello people.
The girlfriend bought these forks for her hardtail. They were described as "working perfectly" and "having only 10 months use."

The left stanchion is seriously worn. See pics below.

I messaged the seller on eBay and he says he doesn't want to refund her. I replied saying they were falsely advertised. He then said that we must have changed our mind about the forks and damaged them to justify returning them. The lockout also doesn't work and apparently we also broke this. Apparently he's going to seek legal advice.

He doesn't believe me that this is wear to the stanchion. The wear is such that the scratches/chunks missing can be felt with the finger, without even using your nail.

I would just like to get people's opinions on the fact that the stanchion wear is irreparable. New steerer and stanchion unit needed. Also about the fact that damage like this couldn't have been done intentionally and only over a elongated time period.

Cheers, Mike.
p4pb9129644.jpg
p4pb9129640.jpg
Delete my fucking account.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    There is definitely a score, though it may not affect the function of the fork, and can be filled to an extent. See the FAQs.

What fork and model is it? how did you pay? Do you have a copy of the advert?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Does not look like a score to me. Looks like wear say about 2 years worth.

The lockout may not work due to being transported. And the oil being in the wrong place.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ThanksBye
    ThanksBye Posts: 519
    Correct with both points.

To properly repair the damage a new CSU is needed.

This damage occurs when the fork is not regularly serviced
    Cotic Soul
    Pearson Hanzo
    Airborne Zeppelin
  • Fox F80 with rebound which works and lockout which doesn't but according to him, does.

He sent an invoice on PayPal, she paid. I've checked and a case can be opened against him. Just don't want to have to.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271137894351? ... 1438.l2649
    Dunno if you'll be able to see that given the listing has ended.

There's only one picture that lets you see that part of the left stanchion and it's out of focus. The scratches are really deep. I assume this happened because they're dried out and need a service which is what i told him. I also said that forks shouldn't get like this after only 10 months use.

He's now saying that we vandalised them to justify a return.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Don't argue with the seller. Open a case with Ebay and they'll sort you out.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    But why did he end the auction? Did you do a deal outside of Ebay?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse, I thought that may be the case with the lockout which Is why they've been stood up straight for the last few hours. Still no lockout. Oh, and there is air in them so it's not that.
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    yep their worn....I had a set of Fox that went the same after a lot of use....there was even worse wear inside the stanctions were you cant see.
    If its eBay and paypal start a case...its very easy and paypal / ebay will back you ....I had an issue with a rear shock which was damaged....seller didn't want to refund but I took up with ebay and they even paid for me to send the thing back and then did me a full refund. The seller is talking rubbish to try to put you off !
  • supersonic
    He said they were scuffed and had wear - I would have questioned this further.

But as above, how come the auction was ended?
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    oh and the oil damping could pee out all over the place !.....mine did after a while as the wear opens up and nice channel to the oil,,,if its running open bath !
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    cooldad wrote:
    But why did he end the auction? Did you do a deal outside of Ebay?
    This, but open the Paypal case.
  • I advised she asked if the stanchions had wear and if they'd been serviced.

He said that they work perfectly and had only been used for 10 months.

I said that they look like they're overdue a service by 10 months, let alone only used for that long.
  • supersonic
    Why was the sale ended early? Did you do a deal outside Ebay?
  • Yes, unfortunately she did. They looked good at the time and so it was worth making an offer.
  • supersonic
    Then I am afraid you don't have a leg to stand on with ebay. You have forgone your Ebay protection by doing this, there is no contract.

You may have rights via paypal, but I doubt it. The advert says ended early. Did you pay via gift or goods?

As for the lockout, pump the fork through the travel 20 times then try again./

How much do you pay for them?
  • Paid by goods. You don't get any protection if you pay by gift. I had already tried pumping it to fix it and it wasn't having it. Fixed now but it must have been more like 100 cycles.
  • supersonic
    This is what happens when they have been upside down. I don't think you'll have protection anyway going on the way you have done this.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If you paid by paypal goods you can open a query but the protection isn't as good as ebays.

Or for £30 you could start a money claim online (you add that to your claim), as I assume we are talking a purchase price of circa £150-200 it's worth considering although if he contests it it would be heard at a court of his choosing....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Yes, unfortunately she did. They looked good at the time and so it was worth making an offer.
    If you decide to make an offer again it's a good idea to get them to put a 'buy it now' price on for you to click. That way you still get the ebay protection.
    Statistically, Six Out Of Seven Dwarves Aren't Happy