Chain Tensioner on a hardtail MTB?

iRaves
iRaves Posts: 50
edited January 2013 in MTB beginners
Hi,

i have a 2011 GT Avalanche (upgraded components)

i ride all the local trails, and i regularly go to One Planet Adventure, but i see these guys out there constantly with these chain tensioning devices that sit near the chainstay and pull the chain up...

can any bike use one of these or does it have to be a certain speed?

like this one

75660.jpg

LAlso what are the advantages of running this set up?

thanks in advance for looking at this thread.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    tension is applied by a spring. and that is done by the rear derailer.

what you see is a chain retaintion device. which may also include some form of protection such as a bash ring or something similar.

there are a number of diferent devices available which can work with a number of different ring configurations on the front.
    some frames have fittings for such devices. some do not but can use an adaptor and some are not compatible.

advantages they can stop your chain from coming off. but some will reduce the gears you have.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • iRaves
    Thanks for the reply

like this device i was looking at...

http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDeta ... ctID=22836

i have the issue where when i land a jump sometimes my chain comes off... i have got a new chainset, cassette and chain and its still happens, but its not every time but it is annoying

That device attaches to the chainstay, will this solve my problem??
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Do you need one? Do you have issues with the chain coming off?
    Just because people have them doesn't mean you need one.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • iRaves
    yeah when i land a jump the chain slips off

sometimes

i have replaced my whole drive system to solve this and had them professionally fitted but still get it, not as much admittedly
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    You can fit a blackspire stinger chain device but it sounds like you have the wrong bike for what you are riding. The GT Avalanche is a cross country bike and not designed for jumping, it will handle it for a while but you're going to break it.
    You would have to use a BB fitting chain device, I don't like them because they can slip around on the BB and they can be arkward to set up with a double chainset (it won't work with a tripple).
    I'm not sure how effective it would be with a long cage rear mech (which I guess the Avalanche has).
  • iRaves
    i dont regularly do jumps but when your heading down the trail and theres a jump coming up i'm not going to avoid it i am gonna hit that!! XD

thanks for the help

so the thing i linked isnt the right thing?
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    I'd just deal with it then.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    iRaves wrote:
    Sorry
    The product or category you have selected has either been moved or deleted
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • rockmonkeysc
    iRaves wrote:
    i dont regularly do jumps but when your heading down the trail and theres a jump coming up i'm not going to avoid it i am gonna hit that!! XD

thanks for the help

The link is dead. Your bike won't hold up to that sort of riding. You need a different bike not upgrade this one.
  • iRaves
    Sorry god knows what happened there

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... tedKingdom

and i cannot afford a new bike :(

Balling on a budget ;)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    What gearing are you currently running and how many of those gears do you need, how does your chain come off? top or bottom, inside or outside, have you checked the chain length is OK?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • iRaves
    i am running 27 at the moment.

shimano XT shadow full system.

kinda need all of them though, well i use them all any ways.

granny and lows for climbing (which we do alot of) and high end for flying down...

what goes up must go down right?

chain length is all fine its all just been re-done. havent been out on it since the new chain was fitted.

but when it comes off it either gets stuck inbetween chain rings or off the granny

i will just deal with it if they arent compatible with a triple chainset.

when i see the guys with them on, have they only got a double then?
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Sounds like poor setup really. My xt/r setup works very well with the front mech doing an excellent job of holding and putting it back on on the odd occasion it's come off.
  • rockmonkeysc
    iRaves wrote:
    Sorry god knows what happened there

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... tedKingdom

and i cannot afford a new bike :(

Balling on a budget ;)

The Blackspire Stinger is much better and only about £20. Chain devices don't really work with triples. You need to get the roller nice and close to the middle ring as thats the one you will be using most of the time. A big ring is pointless offroad, it's too big. I can get 40mph on my DH bike with a 38t ring so a 42t is no use at all. If your chain is dropping between rings then something is wrong with your set up or you have got some crap cranks.
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    If you really want one, just cut about 50mm of old garden hose, attach it with cable ties or something and run the chain through it. Works fine