A bit confused about Garmins - 2/305/500 Mapping

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,572
edited January 2013 in Commuting chat
Hello there all,

our household currently has two garmin Edge 205's, and two Forerunner 305's.

The 205's are fab for cycling, plenty of data fields, and if we go out for a new ride at the weekends I always plot the route on mapmyride or similar, download it, and either sit with it on the map view or toggle between that and data - I know it is not a 'navigational' tool as such, but I ove the fact you can zoom in or out to X degree, and at least see where the turns are meant to be etc etc

I bought the 305 as i also do a fair bit of running, and wanted the HR feature, as well as being able to use Cadence - I have bought a couple of GSC10's to use on my bikes - that is all good, but the QR mount I am not overly happy with, and more frustrating, due to the smaller screen of course, is that you can only have 4 dats fields on one screen - yes I know you can scroll to other screens, but it would be nice to have all the main fields you want on one screen, and it's a little tricky when you begin to bring HR and cadence into things - or I find it is anyway.

It's such a shame that the 205's will not pick up cadence or HR meters, as if they did I would stick with that - it seems the 500 is only available in one version as it were, and you basically use it as is, or you buy HR and Cadence seperately or in a budle, and it will work with them.

So I was set to buy a 500, but then read a bikeradar review that seemed to suggest it did not have any kind of map function - is this correct?

if so, I guess I need to sell one or both 205's and get hold of either a 305 or a 500 IF it has the mapping facility.

And am I correct in assuming that a 500 will still be compatible with my GSC10 and HR monitor that I use with my FR305?

Can anyone enlighten me please?

Many thanks

Dan
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    500 has no mapping but does allow you to follow courses that have been downloaded to the device. It's pretty basic follow the wiggly line on the screen stuff, though.

The GSC10 and HR monitor will work so long as they're both ANT+. Just need to pair them to the device.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,572
    JonGinge wrote:
    500 has no mapping but does allow you follow courses that have been downloaded to the device.

The GSC10 and HR monitor will work so long as they're both ANT+. Just need to pair them to the device.

Thanks Jon - perhaps I used the word 'mapping' incorrectly - it's just a line on the screen, with no roads or any sort of landmarks mapped, and on the 205 it simply shows an arrow of whereabouts you are on that course, and you can zoom in to see the turns etc etc.

That is possible on the 500 then?
    perhaps they have updated the software since the BR review.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Pretty much that. Take a look at the courses section on this page:
    http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2009/12/garm ... eview.html
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    You can follow a downloaded 'breadcrumb' route, exactly the same as the 205/305.
    It's a much smaller device, but the screen is about the same. Battery and general usage is much better.

For proper maps you need the 605/705 or 800. I tried the 605, but hated the mapping and prefer the breadcrumb routes on the 205/305/500.

Edit: originally the 500 didn't have a zoom function on the breadcrumb route (it auto zoomed depending on where the virtual partner was). That's now added.
    exercise.png