Best Full Sus 29er All Mountain?

2»

Comments

• lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Transition Covert if you want a proper all mountain 29er.

Transition Bandit if you want an allround full sus 29er.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Transition Covert if you want a proper all mountain 29er.

Transition Bandit if you want an allround full sus 29er.

+1. I Tired the Bandit 26 and totally loved it. Hoping to buy a frame a and build it up in a few months. The 29er version is supposed to be the same thing but with bigger wheels. Transition have a demo fleet which they send round to dealers so get in touch with your nearest dealer for a demo.
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    Nearly bought the Trance X 29 but got put off it because of the 1/14inch steerer tube and the OD2 headtube.

The Cube stereo 140 29er is a cracking bike and spec for the money at £2900, had a spin on one the other day and its mint.

I ended up with the Whyte 129s 29er insted, I couldnt justify the cost of the SC tallboy LT build.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • b_real
    b_real Posts: 157
    What's your verdict on the Whyte 129s? Great spec..
    Norco Sight Killer B

Giant Trance X3 - stolen.
  • scale20
    Spec is ok to be honest, I think it was the reverb that sold it for me :D

I have done some reading up and everyone I know who has ridden it said it rode reall well, I've not ridden mine yet it's still on the bike stand getting some stuff changed from standard, brakes, shifters, bars and a few other small bits. bars had quite a sweep back and that made the cockpit just a little short for me.

I was going to swap the wheels but to be honest they aint too heavy, bit lighter when I go tubeless on them.

£2000 for the bike but got it for £1760 cash, a good deal too 8)
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • b_real
    b_real Posts: 157
    £2000 for the bike but got it for £1760 cash

Tremendous news, and that is the figure I shall aim for as well. A Canyon Nerve AL 8.9 is £1,800 has a very similar spec, its got better brakes (elixir 7 v elixir 5's) but no reverb dropper, and it runs fox performance instead of rockshox.

Like yourself, have only heard good things about the Whyte.
    Norco Sight Killer B

Giant Trance X3 - stolen.
  • scale20
    This is the first bike I have had with Rock Shox, Im interested to see how they are. Given the choice i would go DT Swiss all round!

I swapped the shifters for XO Gripshift and the brakes for HOPE X2. I was after a slightly longer travel FS but this has a nice head angle and is edging on all mountain. I had a Niner RIP 9 FS with 120mm travel but it was a bit to XC for me.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/whyte-t1 ... 74243.html
    looks just like a Spesh?
    not that thats a bad thing, but i liked Whytes when they were a bit different?
    whyte-t129-full-suspension-bike-74243.jpg
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... gn=froogle
    specialized-camber-fsr-comp-29er-2012-mountain-bike.jpg
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • scale20
    I never really took much notice of whytes because I didnt like the mahoosive rear sus set up and I always thought they were expensive. Seems now that they have got some well specced bikes at nice prices.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • andy_welch
    andy_welch Posts: 1,101
    Based on reviews from people who've actually ridden one, the Gyro does seem to tick most of the OP's boxes. It should be pretty easy to arrange a demo as Orange are usually pretty good at supplying demo bikes through their dealers. So, take one for a spin and let us know what you think.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Erm, having ridden them, I'd still have this one.

http://www.transitionbikes.com/PDF/TRANSITION_switchback08.pdf
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    I agree a lovely bike, but try and get a complete build at sensible money!
    I did consider the Covert 29, but at over £4k for the spec that i would want, its just not a sensible purchase.
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The Orange is only cheaper because of the cheap components it comes with.
  • I can talk about the Santa Cruz TB LTc.

After having a Nomad and a Blur LT, I can give a 5/5 to my TB. I have tried this bike in technical courses with roots, rocks, slippery tracks, drops and jumps. It is true that a 29er could be less maneuverable in close turns at the beginning. But is just getting used to the bike.

I can say that the TB is a nice bike for riders that have to pedal a lot. I only have seen the difference with my Nomad when it comes to big jumps and drops. I feel more comfortable jumping in my Nomad, but I think that is a fact of getting used to the bike. I feel safer in my 29er when it comes to rock gardens because of the wheel diameter, also, It feels nice when turning at high speed, the bike has an amazing grip compared to my Nomad, I feel that I can lean my bike more to the ground.