Where are the Women?

DevonClimber
DevonClimber Posts: 90
edited January 2013 in Road general
How many Sisters of the Cog do we have venturing onto the road threads?

Not a dig really, just curious to see how many ladies venture onto the general, cake stop and BB(gulp) sections. I am not sure that I have seen many posts from female cyclists in these parts, and wander why? MTB has a Women bit, why not Road?

Just asking and not seeking any particular debate.

Cheers, D C (a bloke in-case you wondered)
“If you do what always do, you'll get what you always get.”

Comments

• NewTTer
    NewTTer Posts: 463

Not a dig really, just curious to see how many ladies venture onto the general, cake stop and BB(gulp) sections. I am not sure that I have seen many posts from female cyclists in these parts, and wander why? MTB has a Women bit, why not Road?

Cheers, D C (a bloke in-case you wandered)
    In case we wandered where?
  • Joeblack
    Joeblack Posts: 829
    NewTTer wrote:

In case we wandered into the unisex toilets I presume :lol:
    One plays football, tennis or golf, one does not play at cycling
  • NewTTer
    NewTTer Posts: 463
    Joeblack wrote:
    NewTTer wrote:

Of course many thanks
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    Probably put off by the likes of this
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • Joeblack wrote:
    NewTTer wrote:

:D Aha! An edit needed, well done :D
  • Joeblack
    Herbsman wrote:
    Probably put off by the likes of this

Every forum iv ever been on have women in the minority, I just think they have better things to do, washing, ironing ect :lol:
  • lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    Joeblack wrote:
    Every forum iv ever been on have women in the minority, I just think they have better things to do, washing, ironing ect :lol:

...and spelling.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,207
    There are several women who are quite regular posters (Tusher, Ands, Diesel Dog spring to mind). Quite a few in commuting as well I believe but as a whole there aren't many from the total of users. On the plus side I definitely see more women out cycling on the road (in total and as a percentage or all the cyclists I see) which can only be a good thing.
  • I suppose it's similar to how many girls/women do you see out cycling on their own. Not many. Compare this with the continent. I spend my summer holidays in the Alps, usually Austria or Switzerland. I see many women cycling on their own whether it be road or mountain bike. Where I used to work on average there were about 20 cycles in the cycle shed each day. None of these were female workers. Cycling in this country compared to the continent is still male oriented despite our success in womens cycle sport. Hopefully it will change but I have doubts.
    I'm not getting old... I'm just using lower gears......
    Sirius - Steel Reynolds 631
    Cove Handjob - Steel Columbus Nivacrom
    Trek Madone - Carbon
  • I'm here!

Always feel like women are in a minority in road cycling (not that I really care).
  • sassse
    sassse Posts: 64
    I have been a member for a while. Occasional poster.
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    Kathryn - do threads where men letch over women put you off the forum at all?

I've always assumed that if men letch over women and women letch over men then we're all happy. As long as no one is rude or disrespectful to anyone personally.

For me, I don't bother with those threads. This is the internet - if you cant find better than that stuff you're a pretty unresourceful specimen...
  • Gweny
    Gweny Posts: 38
    *raises hand* :D

Can't think why more women don't cycle.
    Maybe it's the perception of being in the same category as "Mamils" (or whatever you call them!)??

On one hand it would be nice to have a womens section.

However, on the other i can't think there would be much to talk about on there, and it could mean women felt "excluded" on the general section.
  • TakeTurns
    TakeTurns Posts: 1,075
    Women....? Do they ride bikes too :shock:
  • Youre kidding right, we all just saw the olympics, seems the girls showed us fellas the way for the most part (ofc there were a few exceptions)

happen across a lady rider in a sportive, if you can keep her pace then you'll do fine I say !
  • pinarellokid
    pinarellokid Posts: 1,208
    i did the Mcr 100 this year and a group of 4 ladies ridden through the pelleton of men and i was so pleased for them.
    they certainly showed the group how its done as a couple tried to chase but soon gave up and slipped back in.

one young lad actually ridden off the side of the road having a sneaky look for too long.. made me laugh!!!
    Specialized S Works SL2 . Campagnolo Record 11spd. rolling on Campag Zonda wheels

http://app.strava.com/athletes/881211
  • TakeTurns wrote:
    Women....? Do they ride bikes too :shock:
    They certainly do. They're all in Richmond Park, overtaking me. :oops:

I'm getting better though. Now I don't wobble so much as they go past.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • Glad to see a few replies.

If it is just a case of statistics playing out on the forum, and naturally reflecting the amount of female cyclists then that makes sense. However, I had some 'concern' that it may be a somewhat intimidating for some to post on here due to the, at times, male dominated feel of the place(don't worry, I know you girls can stand up for yourselves).

Balance restored I think, now back to my Guardian.
  • juankerr
    juankerr Posts: 1,099
    Is it because women are too sensible to spend their time hanging out on forums asking stupid questions? Or maybe thinking about shoes etc...

Re: The amount of women cycling - I've seen a big rise in the last 5 years, the shop ride I go on is now about a 50/50 split between the sexes.
  • A woman burns past me every night going home from work on a cat 4 climb. She is very fast, I dont mind, she has a spectacular derriere. Although, it's only in view for a few seconds.
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • I'm here! I'm a reader more than a poster usually.

I'm not easily offended - if I don't like the subject of a topic, then I don't read it, simple as. I expect men to letch over women (eg: girls in lycra) as generally, it's what they do, but it doesn't bother me. Always thought that the hoo ha about such threads was a bit OTT, as was the subsequent splitting of Cake Stop (just my opinion).

And yes, I do read Bottom Bracket!
    Not lost, just exploring...
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    juankerr wrote:
    Re: The amount of women cycling - I've seen a big rise in the last 5 years, the shop ride I go on is now about a 50/50 split between the sexes.

That's very good! I very rarely see women out either on their own or with clubs. I used to ride with a Dutch club which would have an average of 70 riders each Sunday, I think there were 2 women who regularly turned up, 2 others who came occasionally. I very rarely see another Woman at a trail centre (my riding buddy excepted). I have to say I can't really work out why.

It's a shame.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rodgers73 wrote:

I've always assumed that if men letch over women and women letch over men then we're all happy. As long as no one is rude or disrespectful to anyone personally.

For me, I don't bother with those threads. This is the internet - if you cant find better than that stuff you're a pretty unresourceful specimen...

I don't read threads if they annoy me, so I don't really care if there are some men letching over women.

It's not like it doesn't happen the other way around. One of the attractions of watching pro-cycling is the hot men in lycra.

I'll just go back to looking at my wallpaper of Bernie Eisel ....
  • i see many women out here cycling although they seem proper miserable, always blank you but then 95% of them are german. Judging by how vague most peoples names are on here you would not if they were male or female half the time.
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    rodgers73 wrote:

I don't read threads if they annoy me, so I don't really care if there are some men letching over women.

It's not like it doesn't happen the other way around. One of the attractions of watching pro-cycling is the hot men in lycra.

I'm here! I'm a reader more than a poster usually.

I'm not easily offended - if I don't like the subject of a topic, then I don't read it, simple as. I expect men to letch over women (eg: girls in lycra) as generally, it's what they do, but it doesn't bother me. Always thought that the hoo ha about such threads was a bit OTT, as was the subsequent splitting of Cake Stop (just my opinion).

And yes, I do read Bottom Bracket!

Nice to hear some well balanced replies on the internet :D
  • stannie
    stannie Posts: 167
    rodgers73 wrote:

Another woman here! Just getting back into cycling after a long break.
    I totally agree. There is nothing wrong with oggling at a fit man in a bit of Lycra. If you men ( or other women?) want to oggle women, that is fine too.
    This forum has Plenty of humour and useful information for people of both sexes. The trick is avoiding or ignoring the stuff that you are not interested in.
    ....................................................................................................
    Waterford RS-14
    Trek Domane SL6
    Ridley Noah SL

A woman can never have too many bikes!
  • sassse
    sassse Posts: 64
    I thought that was one of the main benefits of cycling in agroup... ensuring you are following a nice backside......
    makes the miles go quicker.
  • Joeblack
    seanorawe wrote:
    A woman burns past me every night going home from work on a cat 4 climb. She is very fast, I dont mind, she has a spectacular derriere. Although, it's only in view for a few seconds.

"Spectacular"

That's is quite a statement!!!!
  • btiratsoo
    btiratsoo Posts: 204
    There are some splendid answers on here. Glad we all agree that its great to perve on each other in lycra though! I have noticed an increase in women on bikes. Not so much out in the countryside where I live but certainly in Southampton. Its encouraging to see.
  • btiratsoo
    btiratsoo Posts: 204
    sassse wrote:
    I thought that was one of the main benefits of cycling in agroup... ensuring you are following a nice backside......
    makes the miles go quicker.

Made me chuckle.