When did Britain stop being Great?

Bwgan
Bwgan Posts: 389
edited January 2013 in The bottom bracket
Not really noticed that the name Great Briatin seems to have ceased to be used until tonight. Searching a snowboard manufacturer and had to select my country from the scroll down list. Wizzed down to the 'U' section for United Kingdom and it wasn't there, it was under Great Briatin. As a kid (I'm 34) I always remember everyone calling it Great Britain, i had Corgi toys made in Great Britain, but it seems no more apart from the Olympics.

Comments

• Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    Maybe it was a statement the manufacturer was making. Was it a French company by any chance? :D
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Britain.

Its not that great ..........
  • Anywhere that gives refuge to Stoke, Crewe and Oldham would hard pushed to describe itself even as "Impoverished" never mind Great. :lol:
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Oh and to answer your question it was 20th April 1992. :lol:
  • Bwgan
    Bwgan Posts: 389
    Oh and to answer your question it was 20th April 1992. :lol:

Cheers for the answer, must be Einsteins grey matter in that pipe of ours
  • Yossie
    Anywhere that gives refuge to Stoke, Crewe and Oldham would hard pushed to describe itself even as "Impoverished" never mind Great. :lol:

And Alsager - don't forget the inbred mutant hordes of Alsager.
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Great Britain, was never originally a deisgnation to confirm superioty of any kind.

It stems from Breton and the simple fact that geographically the area of the Angles/ Anglais was North of that region and larger therefore Greater.

In the same way that areas of your body are Superior, they are not really there just higher up the body in an actual sense.
  • We were never "great" it is just a con. & it worked for quite a long time, mind you we have produced some clever things . Speaking english now is no longer the ticket to misplaced superiority.
  • But Great Britain isn't a country, its an island...
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Great was destroyed by fire sometime between Sunday 2 September and Wednesday 5 September 1666.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    The United Kingdom comprises the main island made up of England, Scotland & the Welshies plus Northern Ireland and 'other smaller islands'. So UK technically is correct, encompassing as it does the sum of all the parts.

I'd still prefer GB though, tbh. Minus the welsh. They spoil the view over the sea, mainly. :wink:
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386

That's when England won something without the rest of us and declared themselves as too good for the rest of us.
    The rest of us then went - Fine. Be like that. And it has been downhill ever since.

/trolling/
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    When the rest of the world noticed we elected Boris Johnson to a role with more responsibility than just being able to tie his shoelaces
  • Yossie
    JackPozzi wrote:
    When the rest of the world noticed we elected Tony Blair to a role with more responsibility than just being able to pick his nose. And Cherie's. When she instructed him to.

Typo adjusted - hope you don't mind.

Y
  • When women got the vote, all downhill since then.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • The Mechanic
    The Mechanic Posts: 1,277
    CiB wrote:
    The United Kingdom comprises the main island made up of England, Scotland & the Welshies plus Northern Ireland and 'other smaller islands'. So UK technically is correct, encompassing as it does the sum of all the parts.

I'd still prefer GB though, tbh. Minus the welsh. They spoil the view over the sea, mainly. :wink:

I think Great Britain does include all the outlying islands around the coast but not Northern Island. Hence the full title of the UK being The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
    I have only two things to say to that; Bo***cks
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    Well its 2-1 up against the Germans for 2013 so I think thats Great.

(OK Wales and IOM but heck, anyway)
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    The minute we started owing more than we could produce in revenue and started borrowing :evil:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,452
    CiB wrote:

Problem is, you take out Wales and the rest stops being great. Maybe that's why the OP only gets Britain, perhaps Wales is listed seperately?
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    tim wand wrote:
    Great Britain, was never originally a deisgnation to confirm superioty of any kind.

It stems from Breton and the simple fact that geographically the area of the Angles/ Anglais was North of that region and larger therefore Greater.

In the same way that areas of your body are Superior, they are not really there just higher up the body in an actual sense.

+1

The Romans thought Northern France and Britain were the same country. When looking across the channel, they thought all you had to do was walk up the coast a bit and take a left turn and you could walk into Britain. Took them a while to realize they were wrong. Consequently, they they gave both countries the same name and then had to amend it later.

The name "Great" Britain simply comes from a need to make a distinction between "Britannia Major" (Greater Britain) and "Britannia Minor" (Smaller Britain, now northern France or "Brittany").
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    Ouija wrote:

The name "Great" Britain simply comes from a need to make a distinction between "Britannia Major" (Greater Britain) and "Britannia Minor" (Smaller Britain, now northern France or "Brittany").

is that the same with Great Yarmouth?
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • when we joined the EU - the beginning of the end as we could no longer control our own boarders
  • mudcow007 wrote:
    Ouija wrote:

Even more worrying The Great Soprendo.....theres 2 of the smeggers. :lol:
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    mudcow007 wrote:
    Ouija wrote:

Even more worrying The Great Soprendo.....theres 2 of the smeggers. :lol:

Now in two separate and very different packages, mind you they both used to make my ears sore :roll:
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    when we joined the EU - the beginning of the end as we could no longer control our own boarders

or write in English properly...