the theif has been arrested, how to get my bike back?

teawoo
teawoo Posts: 25
edited January 2013 in MTB stolen
I've got a burglary 3 months ago and lost my rocky mountain altitude(frame and wheels are old 2001) with reba dual air, xtr 970 cranks, fsa carbon handlebars, nukeproof ti pedals and old xt rear mech. In addition, 2 computers, cameras, portable hdd and ipod touch have been taken, at least 1500 pounds. and ive got no insurance

However, two weeks ago I received a mail from the police said the guy has been arrested. I went to the police station but they said nothing has been found and asked me to wait. They said there aren't much hope for getting money or things back.

I really hope to get my beloved bike back, or maybe some compensations, what can I do?

cheers

Comments

• teawoo
    by the way, im in preston and this is the place the crime happened
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Visit the thief in jail, take him cream cakes and digestive biscuits. Befriend him over the course of his time inside, then persuade him to show you where he's hidden your bike when he's released?
  • rrsodl
    rrsodl Posts: 486
    styxd wrote:
    Visit the thief in jail, take him cream cakes and digestive biscuits. Befriend him over the course of his time inside, then persuade him to show you where he's hidden your bike when he's released?

I'd say the OP should visit the thief and take with him a big ax and chop the thief's hands and feet so he can never steal nor ride a bike again.
  • teawoo
    styxd wrote:

thank u, but ive asked the police if it would be possible for me to contact him, they said no.. and asked me to wait. maybe they are waiting for the court

i just remeber that the id has also been stolen, i putted in a wallet and the wallet has been taken. :?
  • teawoo
    RRSODL wrote:
    styxd wrote:

I'd say the OP should visit the thief and take with him a big ax and chop the thief's hands and feet so he can never steal nor ride a bike again.

haha, i really want to do so, maybe cut his fingers at least :o but it wont help, neither wont i get anything back nor would other theives stop stealing :(
  • As far as the criminal case goes (theft,burglary, whatever) the Police will continue to the conclusion of that case. YOu are an "aggrieved" person, so they should keep you informed of court times, dates and locations.
    I would turn up with a paper and pen and record the miscreants details.
    I would also ensure that the Officer In The Case (OIC) has appended a "Compensation Application" form (MG19) to the file.
    Upon case completion, assuming a finding of guilt (Admission, Plea of Guilty, Caution, etc) it will then be down to the Court as to wether they will enforce the compensation claims (really depends on the number of complainants, the convicted person's ability to pay, etc, etc).
    If they award compensation (in full) to you, then that is basically it - you will get cash in dribs and drabs (unless you are really lucky and the miscreant is loaded!!) and there is little more you can do.
    If the Court decides against offering you/others compensation, then you have the option of launching a Civil Case against the man (thats why you need his details) to recoup all or the top-up (if the Court only gave you partial recompense).
    Go to your local civil court and ask for details of the Small Claims Court - its fairly straightforward, and you can do it yourself. If you are unsure, then SOME solicitors will represent you, tacking their costs onto the end of the recompense order.
    In a civil case, the burden of proof is a LOT LESS than the criminal side, so a finding/admission of guilt in a criminal case, in 99/100 cases, in an automatic finding against in a civil case.

JUST BE AWARE, THOUGH, YOU CANT GET BLOOD OUT OF A STONE - IF HE AINT GOT IT TO GIVE, YOU AINT GONNA GET IT!!!!!
    Regards from The Slapster, Cornwall, UK

Chronologically inept since 2026

Who Rides Cubes:
    On the road - 2011 Cube Streamer
    On the trail - 2012 Cube Elite Super HPC Pro
  • teawoo
    As far as the criminal case goes (theft,burglary, whatever) the Police will continue to the conclusion of that case. YOu are an "aggrieved" person, so they should keep you informed of court times, dates and locations.
    I would turn up with a paper and pen and record the miscreants details.
    I would also ensure that the Officer In The Case (OIC) has appended a "Compensation Application" form (MG19) to the file.
    Upon case completion, assuming a finding of guilt (Admission, Plea of Guilty, Caution, etc) it will then be down to the Court as to wether they will enforce the compensation claims (really depends on the number of complainants, the convicted person's ability to pay, etc, etc).
    If they award compensation (in full) to you, then that is basically it - you will get cash in dribs and drabs (unless you are really lucky and the miscreant is loaded!!) and there is little more you can do.
    If the Court decides against offering you/others compensation, then you have the option of launching a Civil Case against the man (thats why you need his details) to recoup all or the top-up (if the Court only gave you partial recompense).
    Go to your local civil court and ask for details of the Small Claims Court - its fairly straightforward, and you can do it yourself. If you are unsure, then SOME solicitors will represent you, tacking their costs onto the end of the recompense order.
    In a civil case, the burden of proof is a LOT LESS than the criminal side, so a finding/admission of guilt in a criminal case, in 99/100 cases, in an automatic finding against in a civil case.

JUST BE AWARE, THOUGH, YOU CANT GET BLOOD OUT OF A STONE - IF HE AINT GOT IT TO GIVE, YOU AINT GONNA GET IT!!!!!

hi, thank u so much! the police phoned me today and said though the guy admitted that, they got no evidence to prove. they added that the guy would be in the prison for 5 years and he hasn't got a job so he could not pay me.

i asked the victim support and they said maybe a lawyer would only be helpful..
  • Sad to say - if he's in prison, the normal excuse is, "I don't earn, so I cant pay".
    Sad but it means that you will lose out.
    Most lewyers will give a "Free 15 minutes", so it might be worth a try.

Good luck :-)
    Regards from The Slapster, Cornwall, UK

Chronologically inept since 2026

Who Rides Cubes:
    On the road - 2011 Cube Streamer
    On the trail - 2012 Cube Elite Super HPC Pro