Current State of Bristol > Bath Cycle Path

SamBerg
SamBerg Posts: 6
edited January 2013 in Commuting chat
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone's cycling the Bristol > Bath cycle path at the moment? I've only started this route since July and hence haven't ridden it in the snow. Is it safe at the moment or an ice rink? Anyone gritting / salting it?

I'm more worried about the cycle back, particularly the Bath end where it's predominately unlit and it'll be near impossible to spot icy patches.

What are people' experiences in the current conditions?

Cheers,

Sam

Comments

• SamBerg wrote:

Just wondering if anyone's cycling the Bristol > Bath cycle path at the moment? I've only started this route since July and hence haven't ridden it in the snow. Is it safe at the moment or an ice rink? Anyone gritting / salting it?

What are people' experiences in the current conditions?
    Well if past years are anything to go by it won't have been gritted so it will have semi-compacted snow mostly from people walking on it which will make conditions very unpredictable. Probably passable on an MTB with a lot of care but not so good on a road bike.

Was going to go ride it on the weekend on snow tyres but got an attack of laziness so watched TV instead. :(

Mike
  • Thanks Mike - that's what I suspected. Don't think it's worth risking on my hybrid.
    ...got an attack of laziness so watched TV instead. :(

I feel you brother! :D

Sam
  • SamBerg wrote:
    Thanks Mike - that's what I suspected. Don't think it's worth risking on my hybrid.

Probably not.

Rode today along the towpath today quite successfully on snow tyres. Was also passable on an MTB but I think I had more grip based on the relative speed of myself and the MTB rider who I passed. :). If I remember before it all melts I'll go and take a look at the cycle path and report back.

Mike
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    I don't use the 'full' cyclepath, but I use the ringroad cycletrack some days. Luckily, I can work from home, so I have not bothered going in - mugs game!

However, I may have a little jaunt tomorrow on the MTB and see what it is like. I suspect it will be un-gritted and Icy as hell...

2.3 knobblies, rigid forks and single speed is going to be interesting.....I could do without binning it as I have job interviews in London on Thursday and Friday....

My 3 year old daughter has started with Bristol colloquialisms and I need to halt that now - She is a 'meader'....
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,624
    gtvlusso wrote:
    I don't use the 'full' cyclepath, but I use the ringroad cycletrack some days. Luckily, I can work from home, so I have not bothered going in - mugs game!

However, I may have a little jaunt tomorrow on the MTB and see what it is like. I suspect it will be un-gritted and Icy as hell...

2.3 knobblies, rigid forks and single speed is going to be interesting.....I could do without binning it as I have job interviews in London on Thursday and Friday....

My 3 year old daughter has started with Bristol colloquialisms and I need to halt that now - She is a 'meader'....

Well it is the Krek Waiter's Peak. I'm still slightly miffed that the littl'un is picking up the South London accent.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • gtvlusso
    Arrrrr...tis dat.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,624
    Meader is a new one on me - I don't remember it when I was at school.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • gtvlusso
    My daughter was born in Southmead hospital...right next to the burnt out car lot.

:-)
  • Widgey
    Widgey Posts: 157
    I would doubt that its clear of ice.. judging by most of the other paths I expect it to be compacted and an ice rink.. I could be wrong though..
  • wordnumb
    wordnumb Posts: 847
    Apparently it is gritted in severe weather. Would be nice to hear from anyone who has survived riding it since the freeze.
  • godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    Still icy at the Bath end although only had a peek at the start section on Sunday afternoon. Sightly ashamed to say I got a lift today and drove past the ring road section (the bits you can see between Pucklechurch and Filton).

Glad I did as looked very icy in places and when I got in I heard a colleague who cycles in from Yate was at A+E with a buggered shoulder!
  • wordnumb wrote:
    Would be nice to hear from anyone who has survived riding it since the freeze.

Their silence speaks volumes!
  • gtvlusso
    Did some bit of the ring road cyclepath this morning - passable on MTB, but not a slim tyre bike.

Had a dusting of snow in west Bristol which knackered the roads again....
  • tm75
    tm75 Posts: 1
    Bristol end was not too bad heading out of town last night. Got as far as Whitehall with minimal ice but from there it got quite thick for long stretches. Was decidedly hazardous on non-winter hybrid tyres so diverted off to the main Fishponds Road.

Coming in this morning the stretch between Emersons Green and Mangotsfield looked similar to Whitehall last night so another adventurous trip down through Staple Hill, Fishponds and Eastville to get into town. Mind you the state of the road in places is making me think attempting the Cresta Run might be a better option!!