Fred Whitton, 7hr group?

guyw1lson
guyw1lson Posts: 76
Hi,

I did the Fred Whitton last year (I got a place through raising £1,000, which also gives me entry this year) and, considering it was my first ever Sportive and the first time I had ridden further than 50miles, I was pleased to complete the ride in 8hrs 46mins.

This year I have radically improved my training, FT P/W up 20% since September to 3.2W/kg with the hope of a similar gain in the next 15 weeks. I'll be spending as little time as possible at the stops - just to top up my bottles and grab a flapjack. I am aiming to do it in 7 - 7:30 hrs.

I was hoping to find/join/bring together a group who are also aiming for a similar time. Is anyone up for it?

If so, it would be great to see you at the start line...

Guy

Comments

• neil.s
    neil.s Posts: 123
    1st Sportive? 1st time ridden over 50 miles ???? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Chapeau indeed fella :wink:

Good luck this year. I'll be glad just to get in under 11 hours (or just to finish would be great)

Say hello if you pass me (i'll be wearing ultra-unlucky for some number 1313 - so unlucky they named it twice)
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    Aim to leave the HQ between 7:00-7:30 and you will find yourself with people going for a similar time - the really fast guys go later and the slower at 06:00. You wont really get a group going until after the descent of Kirkstone and heading along the lakeside towards Matterdale. From here to the 1st feed(or honister) its important to get a group going along the A66 and more so if the wind is in your face.

After the first feed I have found that the hills smash groups apart and you'll find yourself with a few individuals at most.

I have done the Fred 6 times now(taking a break this year as it felt old last year!) and in my experience I find myself with a couple of lads or ladies with similar abilities and but some go quicker on hills or descents but generally stay together and help out at times.

The last four times for me have been around 7hrs30 but the fastest time at 7hrs25 was when I did it completely solo but weather conditions were ideal. I ride mostly solo anyway but dont mind if other tag on but I find the Fred different from other sportives as groups really dont last.

Good luck and hope you get a group going.
    Brian B.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Might be interested in a sub 7 group - more likely just ride round with a few of the lads I'm going up with though as I reckon some of them will be around that kind of standard. Do they still do the 8 o clock mass start ?

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Thanks for your valuable contribution Brian. Your tip on start time is most insightful.

Guy