Any tips for riding in the current conditions?

DanDax1990
DanDax1990 Posts: 1,201
edited January 2013 in MTB general
Any tips for riding in the current weather conditions without using spiked tyres?

I use Maxxis High rollers, Front and rear. Should I drop Tyre pressure more than normal?

Comments

• DanDax1990
    Also any tips for keeping legs warm?

I normally wear some Muddyfox baggy lined shorts and some BBB leg warmers, Rode like that for a couple of hours last Thursday night and didn't feel the cold but the temperature has dropped a bit since then.

Depending on the conditions tomorrow I wanna go for a ride after work. May borrow some of my Mums tights haha.
  • Stu Coops
    Stu Coops Posts: 426
    "Ya mum's tights" are you sick it has to be her stockings there warmer :lol::lol::lol:
    Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Dropping tyre pressures can help. Otherwise its about staying loose on the bike and shifting your weight about. You want to allow the bike to move around under you to allow it to find grip. Otherwise its lots of practice. Taking a normal racing line trough corners may not work either try taking a wider line. Also usually fresh snow has enough grip its just like riding on mud really. If you have a line choice, one with fresh snow and one with compacted snow i usually go for fresh snow as the compacted snow will be like ice.

In terms of staying warm I think you're on the right track. maybe carry a spare layer in your bag to put on incase it gets cold. For very cold / snow rides I usually wear full length bib tights, baggy shorts, thermal layer, normal t-shirt and a windproof jacket. For hand a feet I like to spend a bit more and have some waterproof gloves and socks, both by Sealskins. As long as they stay dry they seem to be OK.
  • jairaj
    oh and pads! I wear knee and elbow pads. helps keep warm and helps fend of the odd bump if i take a fall.
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    I rarely have a problem with cold legs when in shorts and leggings. The key for comfort is keeping your toes warm, so even in dry but cold weather, I'll be wearing my army waterproof socks. They are a massive motivator for getting out as I know my feet will be fine in any condition.
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    Layer up, merino base, waterproof outer with whatever in between, I run 2.5 tyres at approx 28-30 psi and this is also fine on ice/snow.

Stay low, stable and make no sharp moves, trails I find generally ok except for frozen rutts, roads just stay straight and low, try and mederate speed anywhere except on the slick stuff.
  • Just been to work this morning and finished ;-)

Cycled in using road bike as I hoped snow wouldn't be too bad.
    Was lucky and only a bit of snow :-D

Tips though, wear a balaclava you feel warmer and feeling warm is 90% of the battle
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Mud spikes work really well in the snow unless it is very compact. Studded tyres are only really helpful on ice, ideally you want a fatbike with studded mud tyres on, then a fat bike, then something like a 2.1" ice spiker (pro), then a mud spike.

If you're just on snow then studs really aren't necessary, treat it like deep mud essentially.
  • anj132
    anj132 Posts: 299
    put a coat on, it's only rain :(
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Sorry to jump the thread but would anyone recommend flats over spds in these conditions? Head says flats but heart says "your nice waterproof Spesh defroster boots are spd shoes". Flats and wear sealskins socks? Looking forward to a blast tomorrow morning :)
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    Luv2ride wrote:
    Sorry to jump the thread but would anyone recommend flats over spds in these conditions? Head says flats but heart says "your nice waterproof Spesh defroster boots are spd shoes". Flats and wear sealskins socks? Looking forward to a blast tomorrow morning :)

I would recomend flats of spds in any candition :p

Just put my spikes on, will be heading out sooon :D
  • jairaj
    if its icy then yes changing to flats might be a good idea. but if you're riding off road and the snow hasn't been compacted down then ride what you normally do.
  • luv2ride
    in the absence of spikes, would you suggest mud tyres front and back? I have a set of Spesh Storm control tyres, although only fitted the rear up to know as I found the front a little skittish in anything but real squelchy stuff!
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • DanDax1990
    Just got back from my first winter/snow ride, apart from having two flats it was good.

Legs and upper body were fine, I wore a balaclava which made a massive difference as well as my glasses which stopped my eyes from streaming.

Looking at some Sealskinz socks and winter gloves, Maybe Fox Anti-freeze, Any other ideas?

Also gonna try get some full length bib tights and baggy shorts seems as my Muddyfox shorts have a sewn in liner.

I'm thinking my Bontrager SSR multisport shoes are too ventilated for winter riding? Would over shoes help out here? I use flat pedals...
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    Overshoes will definitely keep your feet warmer and prevent the unwanted ventilation. Not sure how they will work with flats though. Alternatively you can get some "toes" which just cover the vents on the front half of your shoes, less faff to put on/take off, again really designed for clipless pedals though.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • Carl170
    Carl170 Posts: 99
    jairaj wrote:
    oh and pads! I wear knee and elbow pads. helps keep warm and helps fend of the odd bump if i take a fall.

I rode through the snow today, feelong quite smug with pads on.

Rear wheel slid out from underneath me and I landed on my a*se! Weird thing was, it happened so quickly that for a split second, I didn't know what had happened. The bike and I slid around on the ice, which caused little damage as there was no friction to catch clothes or damage the bike.

I will avoid riding in this weather, until the mud ( and traction) is back.

Regards

Carl
  • luv2ride
    Just got back for my first ride in snow (this year). Didn't get around to changing pedals so used spds (doh!). 1 hour of fun on soft pack, but 45 mins of abject fear riding on rutted ice, with no pads. Disc brakes froze into the bargain. All in all not sure i'll attempt again without flats, but then I'd get wet cold feet as I can't get a pair of sealskins and merino socks into my flat shoes. used some BBB Hardwear neoprene overshoes over my Spesh defrosters which kept my feet warm, but noticed that the front of the overshoes kept lifting up over the front of the shoes after walking through snow (many sections had to be walked unfortunately due to serious lack of traction). My defrosters are a 43 and the overshoes are size 43-44 but they don't seem tight enough - could I get away with the 41-42?
  • As noted above Mud Tyres work very well, if slowly unless gravity assisted.

Took the old rather worn MTB to BoxHill, it has some big mud spikes and we got up every climb (slowly!) and enough grip to wizz on the downs, inspite of slowing for some walkers and further on a lad on a sledge managed to average 17mph coming down the BoxHill bridleway, grip was plenty, a braver man/woman could of gone faster.
  • Carl170
    Carl170 Posts: 99
    Luv2ride wrote:
    1 hour of fun on soft pack, but 45 mins of abject fear riding on rutted ice, with no pads.

I can totally relate to that!. It does make you a bit nervous after your tyres have gone into a rut and the whole front end starts steering itself.

I am sore when I sit down now after my fall yesterday. I don't really see the point of trying to ride on the ice, and will defintely not be riding solo in the dark!

As for clothing, it was my neck and throat are that seemed to suffer yesterday, so I wore a fleece neck thing (it is like a fleece tube that goes over your head, and has a drawstring on one side that turns it into a hat. I mainly find the first 10 minutes riding in the cold a bit miserable, but everything after that was OK. I also had a tiny flask (ted baker xmas pressie!) that holds 1 cup of coffee. Perfect for a mid ride stop!

Cheers

Carl
  • schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    DSCF2590_zps43943d49.jpg

Today was fun, lots of stopping and starting due to farm track ruts, ice breaking under the snow and even on slight inclines struggling to get traction.

My tips would be: don't turn too sharply, don't put the power down too quickly on the pedals, easy on the front brake and lean back when going down!

I rode/pushed up to the top of the peak in the background and rode down, no crashes thankfully.

Good times!