Avid elixir cr pistons sticking?

BigStu2
BigStu2 Posts: 794
edited January 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, just replaced the pads on my brakes, they were working fine up untill 2 hrs ago now the front lever pulls all the way to the bar, all I did was insert the plastic avid wedge to open up the pistons with the new pads in place while the bike was upside down, if a piston is stuck how do I free it up again, needs to be workng as I'm sellng them :oops:
.........all
...at........work
fun..................&
..no.............no
.....is......play

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Remove pads and slowly press the lever. Are the pistons moving? Never opush them too far though! Clean with plain water and try again. Dry, add a small drop of DOT 4 (or 5.1) to the seal/piston, press lever, wipe, push piston back. Keep doing this and they will move eventually!
  • BigStu2
    Thanks super, what happens if they were pushed too far???
    .........all
    ...at........work
    fun..................&
    ..no.............no
    .....is......play
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    They fall out....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • supersonic
    They might fall out lol.
  • BigStu2
    :lol Nope, their still in there.
    Spinning the wheel and applying the brake stops the wheel but the lever is on the grip, must be an air problem, been like it for the past 18 months whenever the bike is upsidedown the lever hits the grip but a few pumps it normally fixes itself, not this time however....
    .........all
    ...at........work
    fun..................&
    ..no.............no
    .....is......play
  • supersonic
    Never apply the brakes when the bike is upside down! This may be the problem.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Agreed, upside down any air rises in the resevoir to the pickup point, right way up the pickup point is safely under fluid.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.