Winter Tyres

hopesprings
hopesprings Posts: 41
edited March 2013 in MTB beginners
Hi Guys

Just wondering if anyone can recommend any tyres for the winter conditions.
I have some Kenda nevegals on at the moment which I've found pretty good but are now nackered so need to replace them. I ride mostly on south downs which is mostly greasy mud over hard ground, wet rocks/leaves/roots and the odd bit of deep mud. So just about everything wet i suppose.
Also ideas for a drier weather tyre too would be appreciated, and lastly what are the benefits of going tubeless?

Cheers

Comments

• oxocube1
    oxocube1 Posts: 651
    I went out in the snow today on my Maxxis Minion DHFs and they were awesome even on the hardpack snow that had become icy. Not the fastest tyres for climbing but stick like glue to the ground on descents. I use the 60a compound DHF front and back and they have been superb since I bought them 3 months ago.
  • Thanks for that, will be my first time buying decent tyres. I don't know anything about compounds except that I suppose you want a soft one for wet??? Is there anywhere that explains which is which?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The tyre companies websites. Schwalbe has loads of info.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Surly Nate's every time, just fitted mine now the snow have come down.

http://surlybikes.com/parts/nate_tire
  • cooldad wrote:

Duh! Now there's an idea, just done what seems like 100's of retailers so far. Been looking through loads of threads and seems compound is just as/more important than the tyre. Is this right?
    cheers btw.

From today 100% grip all ride
    8394222567_84258d278a_c.jpg
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    cooldad wrote:

Duh! Now there's an idea, just done what seems like 100's of retailers so far. Been looking through loads of threads and seems compound is just as/more important than the tyre. Is this right?
    cheers btw.
    Pretty much, but the better tyre companies tend to have the better compounds available, and to a degree, better tread patterns.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools

From today 100% grip all ride
    8394222567_84258d278a_c.jpg

Goodness me, I'm not surprised, and if you do slide into the river you can use them as a life raft.
  • I use Continental Barons and they've been brillaint. Extremely puncture resistant, dead grippy and cheap to boot (got a pair for £35!). Some of my friends use Specialized StormControls, which they swear by, and of course there are Maxxis Highrolers which seem to work well in all conditions.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Cough Panaracer XC Pro cough.......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • snoopsmydogg
    snoopsmydogg Posts: 1,110
    Took my front panaracer off the other day as I couldnt be bothered to swap tyres for a ride out. The wheel I used had a Kenda Nevegal and first impression is much more front end confidence in the snow/ice.
  • Cough Panaracer XC Pro cough.......

Hmmmm, you wouldn't know where I could get some of these do you, by some slim chance? :?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Almost anywhere, just serach online, around £10 for wired, from about £20 for folders, CRC do them but aren't always the cheapest....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    I ride on the South Downs and it's MudX or Trailrakers at this time of year. Hook up well through the mud and over the roots and are the only tyres that seems to be able to generate any grip through the top surface of chalk slurry that prevails in certain parts of the SD.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • concorde
    concorde Posts: 1,008
    Maxxis Swampthings
  • worb68
    worb68 Posts: 75
    I've been looking at tyres today and went into local bike shop to discuss as like to support them. Ideally want a tyre I can use all year for trail riding but also for road and park riding. They advised maxxis or Schwalbe but which make and tyre would be best suited for my type of riding? Moneys tight so can't really afford a set for winter and summer.
    Thanks.
  • Almost anywhere, just serach online, around £10 for wired, from about £20 for folders, CRC do them but aren't always the cheapest....

Ok Ta, I kind of thought you might be selling some, what with all the coughing and spluttering, :wink:
  • I ride on the South Downs and it's MudX or Trailrakers at this time of year. Hook up well through the mud and over the roots and are the only tyres that seems to be able to generate any grip through the top surface of chalk slurry that prevails in certain parts of the SD.

Sounds good thanks, It is that runny chalk stuff that is giving me the nightmares. It ruins the descents when you have to go really slow or keep sliding off. I'm too old to break myself too much.
    Currently leaning towards schwalbe stuff in some posh compounds, mostly because they have the silliest names! Will check those two out now too.
    Thanks for all the replies chaps, given me food for thought.
  • plugp7
    plugp7 Posts: 298

Hmmmm, you wouldn't know where I could get some of these do you, by some slim chance? :?

Got a pair late last year from Merlin with couple of tubes for less than £40.
    Cotic Soul 26 inch. Whyte T130
  • plugp7
    plugp7 Posts: 298
    plugp7 wrote:

Got a pair late last year from Merlin with couple of tubes for less than £40.

Just looked and the deal is still on. £43.96 less 10%.
    Cotic Soul 26 inch. Whyte T130
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Concorde wrote:
    Maxxis Swampthings

Mmm. I didn't find them that good at firmer snow, they seemed to lack penetration- pretty big knobs. (what?)

Mud tyres are the right idea though- skinny XC muds can get fantastic grip on deep snow but then sometimes will struggle more on rutted snow and ice.

Love my Ice Spikers :mrgreen:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Northwind wrote:
    Love my Ice Spikers :mrgreen:
    Ye ruddy notherners and your snow.
  • Fearn0
    Fearn0 Posts: 12
    Ran some maxxis ardent from spring to autumn now running schwable nobby nic both excellent tyres.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    I've been getting away with a xr4 on the front and ground control s-works rear, has worked well for me so far but does clog up a bit.

In the winter a mud tyre would be better and next winter going to try some 2inch mud x tyres i think.

a mate swears by the maxxis high rollers but the sizes are too big for my frame.
  • concorde
    Who cares?! Spring is on it's way!!!! it'll be semi-slick weather in no time :-) Oh hang on, I live in Wales!
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Where it's pretty rocky and you rarely need a mud tyre!?
  • concorde
    njee20 wrote:
    Where it's pretty rocky and you rarely need a mud tyre!?

Trail centres maybe, not local trails.