Bottom bracket problem

Rothsay
Rothsay Posts: 64
edited February 2013 in The workshop
Hi. I am getting a definite 'clunk' when applying pressure on the left hand pedal which I can feel through the frame. I have checked the pedals and they seem to be ok. There doesn't seem to be any play in the bottom bracket either so I am puzzled as to what it could be. If anyone has experience of this and can shed light I would be grateful!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what cranks BB?

lose arm?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Rothsay
    The cranks are SR Suntour. It all seems pretty tight. Could it be bearings?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The crank retaining bolt needs to be FT not pretty tight.....if they have been ridden loose and worn then however much you tighten it you'll get play, hold one crank arm and see if the other can be moved relative to it.

It could be BB but doesn't really sound like it.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Take the cranks off and turn the BB with your fingers, you'll know then if there's an issue with it. I had the same noise on my bike, took the cranks off and could barely turn the spindle.
  • Rothsay
    Thanks for the advice. Will have a closer look this weekend.
  • Thanks for the help. It was a dry bottom bracket now replaced by the LBS. Back on the road!