Team Kit for BC Cat 4 Races

liamcorrigan
liamcorrigan Posts: 49
edited January 2013 in Amateur race
Hi all,

Just had a quick search online for help with this query and couldn't turn anything up so thought I'd ask here! I'm just after some clarification on the rules for team clothing in BC events.

I'm part of a newly set up team of novice riders who are having their first foray into racing this year. We have team kit on order, however, due to delays caused by Chinese New Year, it looks as though we won't have it in time for our planned first event - the Castle Coombe Easter Classic on Good Friday.

I'm curious about what our options are as my vague understanding is that to enter as a team we all need to be wearing matching kit. Presumably at Cat 4 level there are no restrictions on 'unattached' riders wearing plain cycling gear but does this mean we can technically race as a team? Of course, for a group of virgin Cat 4s 'racing as a team' could be an oxymoron...

Alternatively, by a quirk with lead times, it looks like we will have our team gilets in time. As it's unlikely to be so ridiculously hot at the end of March that wearing a gilet would be unthinkable, does anyone know whether this and say plain black jerseys and shorts would be acceptable?

I'm grateful for any wisdom anyone can impart!

Cheers,

Liam

Comments

• DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Yes its fine. You can race without a kit in a team.
  • Thanks DavidJB.

Having re-read its actually a bit of a silly question - there's nothing to stop a group of riders working together in a race!

Would be interesting to hear thoughts from anyone on the gilet/plain jersey option as we'd like to look as much like a team as possible.
  • If it's a 4th Cat race, the best way to show you're in the same team is for one person to get off the front, then the rest of you chase him down.
  • saprkzz
    saprkzz Posts: 592
    I think i read on BC website, (i have only just registered) regarding team kit, you have to send the design to them for approval before having the kit made incase it clashes.
  • The guidelines for getting team kit made are here:

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/clubs/article/20120607-club-static-Guidelines-on-club-kit-0
    It is essential that clubs have their kit approved by British Cycling before having it manufactured, as frequently there is a requirement for the kit design to be amended to avoid clashes with other team kits and to comply with other regulations relating to team clothing
  • greeny12
    greeny12 Posts: 759
    If it's a 4th Cat race, the best way to show you're in the same team is for one person to get off the front, then the rest of you chase him down.

Ha ha!
    My cycle racing blog: http://cyclingapprentice.wordpress.com/

If you live in or near Sussex, check this out:
    http://ontherivet.ning.com/
  • If it's a 4th Cat race, the best way to show you're in the same team is for one person to get off the front, then the rest of you chase him down.

Have you been spying on our strategy meetings?!

Yes, came across the requirement to get the design approved by BC earlier. Fortunately it isn't me who's organising and I THINK the guy that is has done this... If he hasn't I might actually kill him!
  • giropaul
    giropaul Posts: 414
    My understanding is that 4th Cats can ride in pretty well what they like as long as it isn't political or offensive. £rd Cats and over have to ride in current club registered kit (if they are in a club).

Am I the only one who sees a tiny flaw in your plans - if you have a 4th Cat team and any of them are any good you will have a rapidly shrinking team. :-)
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Yes you can wear what you like as 4th cats. As far as getting your kit approved I doubt it'll be a problem if you haven't done it - pretty sure it's the regional competition secretary that does it - it's just to avoid you choosing the same kit as anther local club or for a team wearing Team Sky kit and calling themselves Team Skye - nothing to worry about (unless you are wearing a black kit with a blue stripe down the back).

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.