Postage Costs

Greer_
Greer_ Posts: 1,716
edited January 2013 in MTB general
I was on the phone to Superstar the other day about returning my wheels as the spokes are loosening up all over. The guy on the phone told me to use Royal Mail and send it first class, recorded, which would be about £6/7 as they wouldn't refund the money for more expensive couriers. When I got to the postoffice, I was told it was too big to be sent first class, so I was told to send it via Parcelforce, 48hr, tracked, insured to £200, for £13.80.

Were there any other options for me to take? I'm feeling a bit ripped off, and I need to see what SS are gonna do about it now!

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Unfortunately that's the perils of distance buying. Thankfully it wasn't from the Germans.
  • Greer_
    Unfortunately that's the perils of distance buying. Thankfully it wasn't from the Germans.

Yeah i'll give them a call once the wheels are sorted. I just had a look on the RM postage finder, and the only thing they offer for packages that size is parcelforce so it should be okay :)
  • oxocube1
    oxocube1 Posts: 651
    Ye I had this issue with trying to send a couple of tyres to a friend. I originally trie to send them in a wheel box which ended up being to big to send by Royal Mail Standard Parcel as it had a too big total Volume. In the end I just wrapped them up in a couple of black bags, much lighter and easier to handle.

I do know however that if something is over 2KG it will cost an extra £3.50 to send. Standard Parcel 750g-2000g is £5.30, and 2Kg-4Kg is £8.80. A standard parcel has to be less than a certain volume otherwise they have to send it by ParcelForce.
  • Greer_
  • _jon_
    _jon_ Posts: 366
    According to the distant selling regulations, if the goods are either faulty or do not comply with the contract then the seller needs to cover the cost of returning them. I'd send them a copy of the postage receipt and ask for it to be refunded.
  • Greer_
    Yep I understand that! I'd rather they fix the wheels first, then i'll worry about getting the postage back. Its still cheaper than it would be for my LBS to true/fix both of them!
  • milko9000
    milko9000 Posts: 533
    If you can get it boxed up ok, something like parcels2go.com is often a lot cheaper and they'll come and pick the thing up from you too. Dunno how you'd get on with recouping the cost but worth checking.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Greer_ wrote:
    IWhen I got to the postoffice, I was told it was too big to be sent first class, so I was told to send it via Parcelforce, 48hr, tracked, insured to £200, for £13.80.
    Yes they always say that.

I insist they send it regular first class & just get a proof of posting receipt. Have sent loads of stuff back this way the PO always try it on.
  • Greer_
    Oh, never knew that :/ all I know is it had to be recorded and that ticked the boxes. I don't want it to get damaged in transit, and have an even bigger problem.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I recently sent 2 wheels by standard parcels, used the box my daughters wheels came in (hint - worth keeping), never managed to go over volume before having sent about 4 or 5 sets.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Greer_
    I guess I just didn't really know how to send them! I'll know better next time!

Yeah wheel boxes, and fork boxes are things i've always held onto!
  • LJ.
    LJ. Posts: 149
    I don't think they would have been insured properly if you had used standard parcels
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    I sent a wheel through royal mail recently, I was told they could send a parcel up to 3 metres combined height, width, depth
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • Greer_
    Insured to £46 though and also not recorded/tracked