Washed MT500 shorts....

DCR00
DCR00 Posts: 2,160
edited January 2013 in MTB general
Evening all

Like a donut i have washed my MT500 shorts in the machine with detergent, rendering them about as waterproof as tissue paper

Is this reversible by using something like Nikwax ? or are they shagged ?

DCR

Comments

• compo
    compo Posts: 1,370
    May as well try it if you have some nickwax. What's the worse that can happen?

I once did it with a coat and renickwaxed - it was fine
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    I've got a pair that are a few years old now and spray them occasionally with Nikwax reproofer. Only ever wash them with pure soap or nikwax techwash type stuff.
  • MarkLG
    MarkLG Posts: 189
    They should still be waterproof (only the backside is waterproof on these anyway), but you have ruined the water repellent coating (DWR) by using normal detergent. Get some nikwax techwash and wash them again, then tumble try them on low heat (if the label allows) and they should be back to normal. You may need to spray them with proofer if the outer fabric is still absorbing water after that.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    make sure you rinse the washing machine out first. Just run it on a hot cycle with no clothes to remove any detergent lying about.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,401
    Yep - proper wash and reproof they ll be fine!

Too much is made of this, yeah, you need to be careful but they re not ming vases. Same with contamination of disk brake pads...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • DCR00
    10 min soak in Nikwax seems to have sorted it
  • DCR00
    Response from Endura (for anyone interested)

"All of the Endura waterproof garments should be washed at 40 degrees with non bio products and no fabric softener. We advise against tumble drying. You can rejuvenate the waterproofing with products such as Grangers and Nickwax. We find the Nickwax TX Direct works well and is easy to apply."