Anyone done the Wiggle Mendip ride?

iPip
iPip Posts: 90
Having recently moved to Bristol, I'm thinking of giving this a go this year. Has anyone done it previously? Got any good/bad feedback.

I haven't ridden any Wiggle sportives, so any general comments on their organisation and standard of route would be much appreciated. General internet feedback seems largely positive.
Regards
Pip

Cube Agree GTC Pro
Boardman Hybrid Comp
Voodoo Bantu

Comments

• I've not done the Wiggle Mendip ride but i've just signed up for the Somerset Hills Gran Fondo which takes in Cheddar, the Mendips and the Quantocks, i've got a feeling its going to be a killer!

http://www.somersetgranfondo.co.uk/index.html
  • I did the longer route in 2011. It was a good but very challenging route. Cheddar Gorge was the highlight climb but I found it relatively easy once the very steepest part was done at the bottom and the description in the 100 Greatest Climbs book was accurate. After Cheddar Gorge there was a long stretch on a large flat area (don't know the name as I did it whilst on holiday in the area) which I fair sped along with some help from another rider but after that there was a monster 18%+ climb that almost finished me at about 55-60 miles. Although the route flattened off to the finish there was a tiny little ascent about 5 miles from the end that snuck up to about 16% and for the first time ever I had to stop and walk about 100yds from the summit (the shame!)

The route was well signed, good feedstops and up to the normal Wiggle Sportive standard. Assuming its not changed I'd do it again if I was in the area
  • I rode it in 2011 also - long route. It was a fairly tough ride. My abiding memory was wheezing and gasping up one of the climbs and arriving at the top to find a girl on horseback in a bikini. I thought I'd died and gone to heaven!
  • iPip
    iPip Posts: 90
    Looks like I might need to knuckle down to some more training! I'm glad to hear it's well run though, if I'm going to pay to ride in public roads I need some perks for the cash ;)
    Regards
    Pip

Cube Agree GTC Pro
    Boardman Hybrid Comp
    Voodoo Bantu