3x10 converting to 2x10 Question!

TheGava
TheGava Posts: 220
edited January 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys girls, I'm sure this question has been asked a 100 times but after searching the net I couldnt find a definitive answer, and I'm just confusing myself now as my knowledge of gears etc isnt great

I currently have 3x10 gears slx 10s rear mech, deore triple chainset, deore front mech and deore 3/triple shifter!! So my question is I want to get a doulble slx chainset but will I have to get a new front mech? New front shifter with 2 clicks?...

And secondly could I use a 9speed chainset with my 10speed setup?? Chain etc..,

Thanks in advance of any answer I get

Gareth

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Just repleace the middle and small rings at the front (or just remove the largest if you want 22/32), the crankset will be fine, the front shifter is fine, the front mech is fine (may not like some possible ring combo's if you change them) just needs re-indexing, the rear is all fine. Chain length will need correcting for the new largest chainwheel, if you don't run a bash you'll need single ring specific bolts for the outer.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Plyphon
    Plyphon Posts: 433
    Shouldn't need reindexing, just the H screw wound in so it wont shift further off the middle ring.
  • TheGava
    Hi and thanks for the answers. The reason I'm changing is I just like the bling of the slx chainset instead of the black look of the deore!!

So it seems running a double will be fine??? Then would a 9 speed chainset work aswell with a 10 speed chain??

Thanks again
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    The answers you've got are not for changing cranks, they are working with what youve got. Slx is not bling.
  • TheGava
    The answers you've got are not for changing cranks, they are working with what youve got. Slx is not bling.

May not be "bling" in your eyes but I like it and it looks better than the deore and that's what I want!!

Has anybody changed there cranks over from triple to double??
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Yes. Took the big ring off and adjusted the H stop.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The SLX Double is heavier duty so weighs more and the Bash is impressively heavy as well.

I'd run a triple as a double if I were you, either with a lighter bash or single ring bolts, either using 22/32 or with a more double friendly such as 26/38.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    SLX will go straight on and will be fine with a 10 speed chain.