Will i damage my frame?

sdalby
sdalby Posts: 139
edited January 2013 in MTB general
I have put bike a wall rack in my garage to keep my bikes off the floor, but my wall anchor is towards the bottom of the wall about 2 feet below the bike. Will the weight of the chain lock put too much stress on the bike frame as the lock is effectively hanging on the frame?
Never put off until tomorrow something that you can do today. 'Cause if you do it today, and like it, the you can do it again tomorrow!!

Comments

• No if it is only the weight of the lock. If it is pulling down hard because it is too short then possibly yes.
    2011 Giant Trance Ltd, 2016 Revs, XT bits etc.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    No but if your worried screw a hook into wall at frame level and loop the chain over the hook so it takes the weight.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • sdalby wrote:
    I have put bike a wall rack in my garage to keep my bikes off the floor, but my wall anchor is towards the bottom of the wall about 2 feet below the bike. Will the weight of the chain lock put too much stress on the bike frame as the lock is effectively hanging on the frame?

how much do you weigh, more than the lock I guess? The bike takes your weight without any problem?
  • sdalby
    sdalby Posts: 139
    My weight is compressing the bike down into the floor through all the parts that are strengthened and designed to take that weight. My lock is effectively pulling the bike apart putting all the stress on the top tube.

The idea with the hook sounds good, i'll give that a try, to stop me worrying anyway.
    Never put off until tomorrow something that you can do today. 'Cause if you do it today, and like it, the you can do it again tomorrow!!
  • stubs wrote:
    No but if your worried screw a hook into wall at frame level and loop the chain over the hook so it takes the weight.

Or just put your chain over the rack first with a small loop therefore the rack will take most of the weight not the frame of your bike.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.