Swinley Forest - If the trails closed, don't ride it eh??

brindlescoops
brindlescoops Posts: 464
edited January 2013 in MTB general
Had a very chilly ride out over Swinley this morning, really exciting to see some of the new trails coming on and looking forward to it opening properly soon, though I was opposed to the the idea originally, I'm real excited having seen it progress over the weeks.

Its a real shame however that some people don't think the closed trails netting / tape / men at work signs apply to them. I saw some groups riding virgin laid trails that were clearly closed off, its a real shame for everyone else that's waiting for the them to open and the guys putting the work in, if the proper opening will be delayed because trails will have to be repaired because people have ridden them in sodden conditions before they have been allowed to bed in.

As I was riding on the Fire roads getting to the bits that are open, barring chasing them on those very trails, there wasn't much I could do bar shouting, but if you have ridden them, please be patient and wait like every one else.
My biggest fear is that should I crash, burn and die, my Wife would sell my stuff based upon what I told her I paid for it.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Yeah, bloody annoying. We've tried asking people nicely who were riding over the barriers not to, replies range from everyone else is doing it to p1ss off. One mong even told me he was a professional trail builder and it makes no difference. This on a trail that hadn't even been surfaced, just graded.
    Spent quite a lot of time putting the barriers back up, and trying to block routes to the sides, but people just pull them down again.
    D1ckheads.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Very much this although it isn't just Swinley.

When Berm Baby Berm was built at Glentress and was left to bed in which it needed to, loads of people were riding it. Eventually the Forestry had to put up the orange netting every 10 metres or so all the way down the trail, probably took quite a while to do and that time could have been spent doing much better things. And people still decided to ride it :roll: Same thing happened in the freeride park, the wooden features on the Essentials trail were long overdue some grip paint, it was tried 2 or 3 years ago but people kept riding them even though there were signs and orange tape, they just kept tearing it down and the grip paint was getting worn off before the next coat could be applied so it was pointless trying to do it. It finally got done late last year with grip plates instead of grip paint, more expensive than normal grip paint but it was much quicker, the majority of it was done with a session with the Trailfairies and then the Forestry had to come back at a later date to finish the job off. Not to mention all the trouble with the wallride, even if you believe it to be closed for no good reason, it's still closed so don't keep opening it. The Forestry had to waste a lot of time having to keep re-closing it, again, time that could have been spent doing better things.
  • This is annoying! I ride at Swinley and let just let the guys get the trails finished.

The more time they spend fixing barriers etc the longer it will take.

Out of interest what is open there at the mo not been for a week or so

How long until its all open!!
  • dmorton
    dmorton Posts: 244
    cooldad wrote:
    he was a professional trail builder

Nice work if you can get it..............

The same happens everywhere, happened at Cannock Chase with the new trails there.

How much new stuff has been added at Swinley? I'm overdue a visit, obviously when it's ready though...
  • cooldad
    Lots of info here, maps etc.
    viewtopic.php?f=20007&t=12890859
    And to save retyping.
    cooldad wrote:
    Almost everything is closed - Satans Grotto, Seagull, Stickler, Tank Traps, bits of Watsons Wander and Whole Nine Yards.
    The bottom section - around Crowthorne, Corkscrew etc is all fine - it's not part of the plans, and the Clubhouse area, Deerstalker, Babymaker and Labyrinth are all fine. Work hasn't started there yet.
    No need for a permit, but make sure you pay for parking - meter maids all over the place.
    Haven't been out since last weekend, but heading out tomorrow. Don't think there's been much change since then.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    I think he was lying about the professional bit.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    Lots of info here, maps etc.
    viewtopic.php?f=20007&t=12890859
    And to save retyping.
    cooldad wrote:
    Almost everything is closed - Satans Grotto, Seagull, Stickler, Tank Traps, bits of Watsons Wander and Whole Nine Yards.
    The bottom section - around Crowthorne, Corkscrew etc is all fine - it's not part of the plans, and the Clubhouse area, Deerstalker, Babymaker and Labyrinth are all fine. Work hasn't started there yet.
    No need for a permit, but make sure you pay for parking - meter maids all over the place.
    Haven't been out since last weekend, but heading out tomorrow. Don't think there's been much change since then.

Yep, and by golly its blimmin wet, all the riders are using these few bits as well, so they are pretty churned up too.
    My biggest fear is that should I crash, burn and die, my Wife would sell my stuff based upon what I told her I paid for it.
  • cooldad
    Been riding more at Caesars Camp and Minley. Slightly less boggy, and much quieter.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • dmorton
    Thanks for the link cooldad, I'm caught up on developments now. Looks good..

Caesar's Camp as in Long Valley, Beacon Hill etc by Church Crookham and Fleet? Have you been to Tunnel Hill recently?
  • Tunnel hill is in good nick as is porridge pots. Caesars camp ok but a bit boggy in places but isnt everywhere!
  • Where is the best place to park to ride at tunnel hill.
  • cooldad
    We normally park at the Canal Centre Mytchett Place Road, Mytchett Surrey GU16 6DD
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Lars1974
    Lars1974 Posts: 105
    I was at Swinley today, and it was great to be back after a two month break. I notice some of the old trails closed and also spotted some new ones.
    We did adhere to all the closures...there is still plenty to ride without ruining the hard work that goes on.

Also notice how many trees are down...especially round the jump gully etc.

Anyway, lots of ridersmout today and although i did spot riders looking at the new trail or the stickler, but all the guys i saw did not ride the closed trails :D

Anyway, will be interesting to seemhow it all turns out.
    Thx Lars
  • cooldad
    The chopped down trees are normal forestry operations - it is a working forest as well. The equipment is making a bit of a mess of places though - bloody great big digger trails.

All work on the trails needs to be completed by March, or work will re-commence in September. (Due to the nesting birds)

They have re-surfaced W9Y, due to people riding before its ready.

If you are having a cheeky ride on them, please keep off or come March, none of the trails will be open.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • CFS
    CFS Posts: 124
    Rode up at Ceasars today and singletrack that normally holds up well is a mess. Backed up after a couple of hundred yards and re-routed on fire roads. Not as much fun but neither is riding on wrecked singletrack.

Not sure why people insist on wrecking trails.
    Shot by both sides...
  • dmorton
    cooldad wrote:
    All work on the trails needs to be completed by March, or work will re-commence in September

Would more hands help? Is it volunteer work or have they got contractors in? I could be free this weekend...
  • cooldad
    dmorton wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    All work on the trails needs to be completed by March, or work will re-commence in September

Would more hands help? Is it volunteer work or have they got contractors in? I could be free this weekend...
    Nope, using a contractor. Just kill people riding on unfinished trails.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools