Mr Beefy, Yakuza Ojiki: update 12/5

mrmonkfinger
mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
edited May 2014 in Your mountain bikes
Afternoon all!

This is Mr Beefy. He's a big lad.

8395c0d2.jpg

I picked up the frame from the bay not long ago. I'm living the freeride dream this summer.

Yeah, well, at the very least, I'm going to be seriously over-biked.

The story so far:

Frame: Iron Horse Ojiki 2007
Shock: Manitou Evolver ISX6 Intrinsic
Fork: Marzocchi 66 ATA 1.5
Headset: FSA Big Fat Pig 1.5
Stem: Gap Lite OS 1.5
Spacers: FSA 1.5 x3
Seatclamp: Hope
Seatpost: Funn V3

More to come...

Comments

• mrmonkfinger
    6bd5dc4f.jpg
    f0ce3bda.jpg
    d6de0684.jpg

almost finished now, just waiting on:

cranks: FSA gravity light double + bash
    guide: MRP LRP
    pedals: not sure yet
    gear cables
    20mm hub adaptors

spec:

Frame: Iron Horse Ojiki 2007 7"
    Shock: Manitou Evolver ISX6 Intrinsic
    Fork: Marzocchi 66 ATA 1.5 7"
    Headset: FSA Big Fat Pig 1.5
    Spacers: FSA 1.5 x3
    Stem: FSA Gap Lite OS 1.5
    Bars: FSA Gravity Riser 710mm
    Seatpost: Funn V3
    Seatclamp: Hope
    Seat: Funn
    Grips: bikehut lock ons
    BB: Hope
    Shifters: XT 9spd
    Mech F: XT 9spd
    Mech R: XT 9spd
    Cassette: SRAM 990
    Chain: KMC X9
    Brakes: Avid Elixir 5
    Rotors: Avid 6" rear, EBC 8" front
    Hubs: Hope pro evos
    Spokes: ACI Alpina DB
    Rims: Fun Xlrater (Sun SOS)
    Tyres: Panaracer CG AM 4X tubeless
  • specialeyes
    specialeyes Posts: 542
    That looks mint mate! I love the colour too, kinda reminds me of mixing a dash of chocolate ice cream in vanilla. 8)

Bet you can't wait to give it a run out!
  • mrmonkfinger
    Cheers dude, I think the colour is a bit marmite - not many coffee colour bikes around.
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    so what does it weight?

Nice looking bike, looks like it can take a pasting or too!
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • mrmonkfinger
    I'm afraid to put it on the scales!

Apparently these things were about 40lbs+ in original spec (marz coil 55 & fox van r coil). It might be a pound or two less with the air shock/fork - when I've got the cranks & guide fitted I'll see what it comes in at.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Personally I'd go back to coild and take the wieght hit on this bike, be wicked plush for hammering down :P

Like it though.
  • mrmonkfinger
    Cheers :)

The frame had a Fox Van R fitted - so if I don't get on with the Manitou I can always switch back. There's not a huge amount about the Manitou on the net but what I read suggests it rides very smoothly with more mid stroke support than most air shocks... I guess I'll see soon enough.

Got the Hope adaptors & cables now, so enough to get out riding very soon :D Cranks are in the post but don't need them right away, just want to get out and start getting the fork & shock set up right.
  • mrmonkfinger
    Update, finished the build now and been out for a couple of fairly unexciting flat test rides. Pedals surprisingly well for a 180mm bike. With the current spec list it weighs 16kg (35lbs) which is pretty good, I think.

Going to get down to FoD or CwmCarn soon and give it a proper run!

bae72cff.jpg
    b03e6d4e.jpg
    4105a6dc.jpg
    14bd4fdd.jpg
    f3b36918.jpg
    87c88e45.jpg
    2f4d1aa6.jpg
    4b3b5c22.jpg
    8fc833fb.jpg
    2fb0fbd5.jpg
    d9a821f5.jpg
    dddf178e.jpg
    c3e0059b.jpg
    ba55c050.jpg
    d7801af6.jpg
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Liking it mate.

Let us know what you think of the bombers! i think those guys are really coming back on form this last year or so!
  • mrmonkfinger
    Thanks fella :)

After giving it a shake down at FoD yesterday I'm chuffed, it rides great. It's far more capable than I am. Need to get the shock & fork tweaked a bit, and add some frame protection sorted, but that's about it.

The bombers are mega-plush so far. Mine are 2009 (the danger year) but I did get them very cheap (£200, new).

On the downside - the cranks pinch bolts came loose, despite being torqued to spec :( Let's hope they stay done up now, losing a crank arm is really not cool.
  • fyldesmurf
    fyldesmurf Posts: 412
    How are you finding it? You're the only other person i've seen with a Yakuza, had mine about a year now as well, mine's orange though. I see yours is called Mr Beefy, clearly we were thinking on the same lines, i like to call mine Daisy the cow :D

If you upgraded the shock yourself would you happen to know the stroke length?
  • mrmonkfinger
    fyldesmurf wrote:
    How are you finding it? You're the only other person i've seen with a Yakuza, had mine about a year now as well, mine's orange though. I see yours is called Mr Beefy, clearly we were thinking on the same lines, i like to call mine Daisy the cow :D

If you upgraded the shock yourself would you happen to know the stroke length?

Hello mate

Yeah you don't see a lot of Iron Horses around! As for the name its about as chubby as its owner :D

Its spot on for what I wanted - a solid burly AM/FR. The only thing I'd think about changing is to try and find a 1 1/8" fork to give the option of sticking an angleset in there and slacking the headangle for DH duties.

Shock is a 220x70. IIRC the earlier frames were a slightly different size though so worth getting the tape measure out...
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Thanks fella :)

After giving it a shake down at FoD yesterday I'm chuffed, it rides great. It's far more capable than I am. Need to get the shock & fork tweaked a bit, and add some frame protection sorted, but that's about it.

The bombers are mega-plush so far. Mine are 2009 (the danger year) but I did get them very cheap (£200, new).

On the downside - the cranks pinch bolts came loose, despite being torqued to spec :( Let's hope they stay done up now, losing a crank arm is really not cool.

We had those cranks on our rental fleet of a-lines last summer and they did have a tendency to come loose - had a couple of punters lose crank arms mid run but generally they just worked a little loose and caused the chain to drop.

If I recall they dont have the plastic screw in plug for extra security like shimano ht2 crank arms which I think causes some fo the issue - too relient on the pinch bolts.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • mrmonkfinger
    We had those cranks on our rental fleet of a-lines last summer and they did have a tendency to come loose - had a couple of punters lose crank arms mid run but generally they just worked a little loose and caused the chain to drop.

If I recall they dont have the plastic screw in plug for extra security like shimano ht2 crank arms which I think causes some fo the issue - too relient on the pinch bolts.

plastic plug? do you mean the preload bolt?

not sure I follow - on shimano the pinch bolts also do all the work of holding the crank on. am I missing something?
  • mrmonkfinger
    I should get some new photos up soon - not a lot of cosmetic differences but some spec changes, mainly to get bigger/better brakes on there:

Avid code 5 callipers plugged onto the Elixir levers + 8" discs at both ends.
    FSA Orbit Xtreme headset
    Gravity Light bars
    Some (white) CRC lock on grips
    New seatpost cause I bent the Funn one

Love the ride on anything pointing downwards - definitely a keeper.
  • mrmonkfinger
    Avid Code callipers all fitted, work a treat with the Elixir levers. Could use a single adaptor for the rear brake.

Also fitted some Gravity Light bars. Really comfy and not bad weight, about 290g. "Only" 710mm - but I really like the feel of these, the sweep/rise seems to keep my wrists happy. They're the same shape as my older bars, but they were heavier and are now on my commuter as I hated the flattish XC bars on there.

IMG_20121201_112429_zpsc8feed3d.jpg
    IMG_20121201_112410_zps4fae222b.jpg
    IMG_20121201_112635_zpsa14c7a82.jpg
  • mrmonkfinger
    Man down.

My 66's have succumbed to the Marzocchi "stuckdown" curse :(

Either I got to fix them, or its new fork time. Shi-ite.
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    Such a nice bike - sorry to here that you have the curse.
  • Paulfocus
    Paulfocus Posts: 70
    Very nice bike!!!!!!!!!!! I like them wheels, I'm looking at some sort of white rims for mine just not decided on which ones yet?
  • mrmonkfinger
    Cheers fellas

Well, I pulled the ATA cart over the weekend (easier job than I expected) and it looks like the o ring on the main air piston has a couple of score marks in it. They look like manufacturing defects - not something that has been picked up inside the fork. Anyway, just got to find a new O ring and pop it back together and it should be back in action :)
  • mrmonkfinger
    Back in the game :D
    • O ring, £3 for 10 of them (so I guess I can fix 9 more stuck down 66's).
    • Bottle of fork oil, £7
    TBH I wasn't looking forward to the job but it was actually quite easy and could have been done in the space of an hour, tops.
  • mrmonkfinger
    Swapped the rubber on my spare rims for some Intense 909s.

Coincidentally, they're what the bike was originally sold with in the shops.

IMG_20130317_155039_zps0a543b80.jpg
  • Zaarg
    Zaarg Posts: 29
    Don't know if anyone is still reading this thread, but I've also just got an old Yakuza frame from eBay and was hoping I might be able to pick some brains about parts... Anyone still out there?