Newbie Help needed

Greeny1210
Greeny1210 Posts: 17
edited January 2013 in MTB beginners
Hi guys

hoping for some good info regarding starting out (not rode a bike since I was 15 which is over 15 years ago, I just want to use it to help lose some of weight I have put on over last few years really more than anything, I live in sheffield so loads of hills however I have come up with a quick route which is mostly flat that I can do around 3/4 miles mainly path/road and parks, this will be what I plan to do to start out as my fitness levels would mean almost certain death if I attempt any hills :oops: slightly over top but doubt I could manage any, also on beta blockers so have to be careful how much I push myself.

anyway I was looking at the bottom end b'twin rockrider range and wondered if they were any good, budget is low roughly £100 at a big push more if its realy worth it so looking at 5-0 5.1 and perhaps but unlikely 5.2

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-50-men-id_8202062.html

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-51-id_8167116.html

I was told 2nd hand is good but no car so chances of finding anything decent close enough is slim , what you think guys any better ways to spend my limited budget (I thought it was a decent amount till I looked at what people are paying for bikes these days, :shock:

Comments

• querhoch
    querhoch Posts: 111
    youre not going to get anything close to decent for £100. I should save up at least £300 and buy 2nd hand, but of those 2 bikes, get the rigid. the 2nd one looks like such a massive piece of crap that you'll end up worse off than if you had no bike at all.
  • DanDax1990
    DanDax1990 Posts: 1,201
    If you've got the motivation to stick it... Save more...

If you could about £500 would give you loads of choice.
  • Out of work at moment guys so that kind of money is way off what I can stretch to, £150/200 ish is pushing it tbh, wish benefits were as nice as the media seems to make out but they aint, not for a single bloke at least :wink:

so the 2nd one is worse than the 1st one queroch ? this hurts my head all this, I was looking at argos and sports direct but they are even cheaper yet look like fancy bikes to me that means they must be made of pi$$ poor parts etc and probably fall too bits

was hoping people to say they are both great bikes the b'twin ones
  • DanDax1990
    Don't get a suspension bike at that price, That's all I'll say. It will be horrible!
  • DanDax1990
    If you know what you're looking for... Get on eBay and gumtree etc.
  • No idea what i am looking for really, 2nd hand is difficult with no way of picking up unless very local

think it will have to be new
  • I'm in exactly the same position as the OP. just bought myself this http://www.amazon.co.uk/HSB-Cross-Halo- ... B009UC2GBU

Except I only paid £80. Also what makes this a females bike? The cross bar appears to be in the place I would expect to find on a mans bike. Just waiting for delivery.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The advertised price is a joke. 16kg? Ouch.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • agreed, a bit on the heavy side. But glass houses and all that... I do have a plan though, if I do really get the bike bug then I'm going to upgrade the parts slowly, hopefully reduce the bike weight in doing so, and teach myself the required maintenance skills. Then when it gets to a certain point buy a new frame and do a self build. This is many miles off of course.
  • DanDax1990
    I'm not keen on that plan, The bike will be good for getting you fit due to the weight haha.

Use it as much as possible and save money to buy something better. No point in upgrading it at all.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Sold.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165499

we've got 35 of these at school for the kids to do P.E. on. they are basic and cheap and easy to maintain.
    Is there no one you can borrow a cheapo bike off and save you're cash, failing that local small ads you can often pick up a second hand fully rigid raleigh for 30 0r 40 quid thats where i'd be looking.
    pity those who don't drink, the way they feel when they wake is the best they will feel all day

voodoo hoodoo
  • Why not stick a wanted ad on one of the well known mountain bike forums, like this one or singletrack?

I am sure there will be someone out there with a half decent older bike in the shed that they would shift?

Just put your height and location on there and see what happens, nothing to lose!
  • well i took delivery of my new ride yesterday, assembled it without issue and took it out for it's 1st ride which turned out to be interesting. The bike was fine for the riding i'll do, the interesting part was a cyclist on the other side of the road who came off thanks to a pot-hole. my 1st reaction was to laugh but the poor guy was clearly hurt, stopped and went over to see if he was ok and quickly called an ambulance. A paramedic soon arrived and patched him up and sent him off to A&E with a broken nose, concussion and wounded pride. The pot-hole was full of rain water & hard to see in dark, poor fella.
  • The Rookie
    Hope you gave details as a witness.......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • does that mean you got an upgrade already?
    pity those who don't drink, the way they feel when they wake is the best they will feel all day

voodoo hoodoo
  • herb71
    herb71 Posts: 253
    Why not stick a wanted ad on one of the well known mountain bike forums, like this one or singletrack?

I am sure there will be someone out there with a half decent older bike in the shed that they would shift?

Just put your height and location on there and see what happens, nothing to lose!

I have an entry level giant in my shed I need to shift so the wife does not find out I bought a new one.

I bought new, my lad now has my old Scott, so the giant is surplus. It's a medium I think, lightly used, but being as it was my sons it as had the odd bash, so won't be asking for much. How tall / heavy are you greeny?
  • Hope you gave details as a witness.......

Police never bothered turning up. I guess cyclists fall outside the RTA criteria!

But yes, gave him my details.
  • The Rookie
    No real need for the Poluice to attend, so why waste tax payers money, but yes thinking he will need you asa witness if he seeks compensation from the council....