Bike Storage

marcel147
marcel147 Posts: 62
edited January 2013 in Commuting general
Hi Guys, A little help if I may.

I am a landlord and my student tenants requested somewhere to store bikes. I am willing to install something but I would like to know what is the most practical option that keeps expensive bikes safe that you would be prepared to use yourselves.
You see, I ride myself & would not leave my mountain bike outside and so I don't think I should install something sub standard security wise for my tenants.

A) Firstly, if the facility provided was 100% secure, would you guys be prepared to house your bikes outside & in the elements?
B) Location.
The front yard to my house is flagged & has a 12" tall x 18" deep wall which has huge topping stones on which are a further 8" tall x 18" deep. The topping stones must be 250kg each.
C) I would prefer not to install a shelter/locker as the location is outside a bay window & would be an eyesore.

My plan would be to attach the bike rack to the very heavy topping stones.

1) I worry that if I screw in to the topping stones (which thieves could not move), that the bolts may me unscrewed for easy theft
2) Would a bike weather badly outside or can users buy their selves a cover
3) I presume I would need a rack that would support the rear wheel enabling the bike to stand up
4) I guess a simple eye hole/loop for the chain to go through would be inadequate as bike would not stand upright

Please can anybody with bike storage experience help me out with any solutions or links as I don't want to make the mistake of providing something that is not going to be used once installed.

ps If you have links, they would be really appreciated.

Regards
Marcel.

2009 Boardman Pro FS

Comments

• On the problem of thieves unscrewing the bolts you could always put a little epoxy in with them or hammer a ball bearing into the top or both.
  • So would people be prepared to store bikes outside if there was a secure rack but no shelter?

2009 Boardman Pro FS
  • aleslie22 wrote:
    On the problem of thieves unscrewing the bolts you could always put a little epoxy in with them or hammer a ball bearing into the top or both.
    Thanks alesli, epoxy & security bolts would secure the frame well.

2009 Boardman Pro FS