It's only another bloomin' On One C456 build thingy

paulneenan76
paulneenan76 Posts: 777
edited January 2013 in Your mountain bikes
On One Carbon 456 – matte black with some gold trinkets
• Frame: On One Carbon 456 18" matte black decaled
• Headset: Hope (bottom) & Ritchey WCS (top)
• Forks: RockShox Revs RLT 150mm Dual Air’s
• Brakes: Deore M596 6bolt 180mm rotors F&R
• Seat post: On One Twelfty 400mm/31.6mm
• Saddle: On One Big Nose
• Clamp: 34.9mm Superstar CNC job in Gold
• Bars: On One risers 685mm Gold
• Grips: Superstar in black with gold lock-on
• Stem: On One CNC Ultralight 60mm
• On One headset spacers with Splat star cap
• Crankset: Truvativ
• Pedals: DMR V8’s
• Shifters: SRAM X7
• Rear mech: SRAM X7
• Front mech: Deore SLX top clamp 34.9mm
• Cassette: SRAM PG997
• Chain: SRAM PH971
• Bionicon chain guide v2
• Wheel set: Superstar Superleggera's in Gold with XC430 rims in black and Gold skewers (now with all new bearings as the superstar one’s died after no time at all - have been sent back)
• Tyres: Panaracer xc fire pro 2.1's (red stripe - The marmite tyre)
• One One carbon bottle cage with gold bolts
• Full Deore XT PTFE (or whatever it is they call them) cable and outers (and red cable guides)
• Lots of matte tape on the frame and normal heli tape on the forks (from Paragon tapes)
• Ghetto chainstay protector - what else!
A good percentage of this bike was donated from the Carrera Kraken (components I upgraded as the old stuff wore out – anything left I’ll sell on Fleabay). Frame and Forks I got very lucky with and managed to pick them up used (wanted the matte frame but On One said it’s no more and the forks were a fluke really), some of the other parts I got because I really wanted them, like new lock-on grips and bottle cage. But they were all great value for money - £9.99 for a carbon bottle cage – that V2 Bionicon I got as a new item from the bay for £12! I had a goal in mind for budget, and whilst I’ve gone over by a few quid, it’s definitely a budget build. If this was a 2nd bike, I could have scrimped this. But it’s my only bike, (unless like The Beginner suggested and I coerce the missus into letting me build the Carrera back up), I wanted it right, as close to a new bike as I could manage, and working properly – which is why I utilised the skills of my LBS (Alex, Rich & James at Roy Pinks newport pagnell) and didn’t attempt what would've been the inevitable balls up! It’s still a work in progress of sorts, but then, aren’t they always?

Frame arrived frame2b.jpg

Old frame stripping build10.jpgbuild1f.jpg

Build up the new frame build14.jpgbuild12.jpgbuild9.jpgbuild13.jpgbuild8.jpgbuild11.jpg

And here she is all done (just need to get my arse on it and hit the trails) full5r.jpgfull4i.jpg

full2s.jpg
Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Nice bike need better pics though. Want to see the detail
  • Ill give it a go but can't promise they'll be much cop :)

• Those tyres. Oh god those tyres. Hehe sorry i have a bad allergy to them. Bout bleedin time this was built!
    Good on ya', hope she rides well!
  • Lovely job Paul, look forward to hitting the trails with you some time soon!
  • Those tyres. Oh god those tyres. Hehe sorry i have a bad allergy to them. Bout bleedin time this was built!
    Good on ya', hope she rides well!

I know, I know, they really are marmite. I'm sure the Beginner will back me up though :D
    Yes it's felt like a long time coming but the biggest delay was the festive period - work manic, time off, delivery delays etc. still, sorted now. Much to my utter dismay and frustration, I've not ridden her more than 200m, although I did do the tiniest off-road section behind a church last night after the lBS did my bearings, but that dont count :)
    it's been sat begging to be ridden but has remained untested for nearly 2 weeks :0. What i have done has felt pretty good so far and Saturday, once I've sorted the fork settings, its Go Time on my favourite trails!! Lets hope it smashes it up!!

Paul

• I like it, looks really nice. Yes need some good close ups and otehr pics though. Look forward to hearing how the first proper ride is.
    I now need to finish mine - I'm a busy (or is it that lazy) sod.
    I'll start a thread this weekend as I have all the parts now so no excuse.
  • Ok so to appease those that wanted more detailed pics - here are some close up pics (iphone so not so great).

Saturday is the first trail outing - hoping for snow!

photo3lvn.jpg
    photo4wv.jpg
    photo5glt.jpg
    photo2hx.jpg
    photo3fw.jpg
    photo4ags.jpg
    photo5kn.jpg

There you have it.

• You got enough spacers there?

;)

I assume you'll be chopping the steerer down once you've got it dialed how you want it?
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Looks great Paul! Glad to see its all turned out well! :)
  • I like it, looks really nice. Yes need some good close ups and otehr pics though. Look forward to hearing how the first proper ride is.
    I now need to finish mine - I'm a busy (or is it that lazy) sod.
    I'll start a thread this weekend as I have all the parts now so no excuse.

Get the thread going and get your arse in gear with the build, jeez your taking so long, come on (says the man who took a bloomin eternity to get his done :D).

I'm riding Saturday so hoping for fair weather and that I've set the forks up ok. Hopefully won't have to do much to he geo but you never know.

Paul

• lawman wrote:
    Looks great Paul! Glad to see its all turned out well! :)
    Thanks Lawman, appreciate it. Got a few little bits in mind but will wait till spring for non essentials.

Paul

• You got enough spacers there?

;)

I assume you'll be chopping the steerer down once you've got it dialed how you want it?

The picture gives it a slightly skewed perspective I think - I've not ridden it in anger, it feels comfortable, but only a long ride and a saw back/neck will let me know.

I set the Revs up today, only to a certain point as I just set pressure and sag, not dialled it in so to speak. I'll get a better idea of what's needed after the first ride. To be honest I'm not sure how to judge what's needed - first time with an air fork!

Could need less spacers and have to cut it down of course.

Paul

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Looking good, glad to see a set of good tyres on there........

I'd be inclined to move the stem down the steerer before you ride it, maybe half the spacers above and half below as a starting point.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Looking good, glad to see a set of good tyres on there........

I'd be inclined to move the stem down the steerer before you ride it, maybe half the spacers above and half below as a starting point.....

Can I ask why? Would this just move my positioning/lower the controls?

• BRM_
    BRM_ Posts: 52
    Very nice bike. Got any bigger pics?
  • BRM_ wrote:

Yeah I think I can do it when I get on a PC - cant do the resizing thing on the iPhone with image shack.

Did you want to see anything specific?

Paul

• BRM_
    BRM_ Posts: 52
    BRM_ wrote:

Yeah I think I can do it when I get on a PC - cant do the resizing thing on the iPhone with image shack.

Did you want to see anything specific?

Paul
    Cool. No, nothing in particular, just looks like a nice build. Can you run a 180mm rear disc on these do you know?
  • MrPhil
    MrPhil Posts: 57
    Yes, I run a 183mm V2 Hope floating.

Common these bikes now, saw 3 today @ Degla lol
  • Mine has 180mm front and rear - straight swop off my last frame.

1st ride on the trails this morning and it was awesome (not gonna say it was horrible and I want the old one back though am I ;D). Will need to dial it in a bit, fiddle with the geo and get used to the differences; like how the front tracks with 150mm at the front - washed the front out twice - and climbing more efficiently on the long steep sections.

Did a couple of the DH tracks at Woburn - recently did 1 run at FoD but this was an absolute first! This frame has given me the confidence to attempt it - and I didn't wipe out which was nice.

• BRM_ wrote:
    BRM_ wrote:
    CoNo, nothing in particular, just looks like a nice build.

Here we go BRM - cant get my head around Imageshack so hoping this works. If not, I could always email you.
    photo12wk.jpgphoto1vrb.jpgphoto22k.jpgphoto2ern.jpgphoto32ji.jpgphoto3ciy.jpgphoto42sk.jpgphoto4jkp.jpgphoto5bt.jpgphoto2ri.jpgphoto4ags.jpgphoto3lvn.jpgphoto4wv.jpg

• Bah, and there was me thinking this was the petrol version. Still, hard to tell with carbon frames :)
  • frazered
    frazered Posts: 333
    Lovely steed and workshop. I am finding my c456 pretty bombproof, only a little cable rub here and there so am glad of the heli tape.

Liking the gold touches.
  • frazered wrote:
    Lovely steed and workshop. I am finding my c456 pretty bombproof, only a little cable rub here and there so am glad of the heli tape.

Liking the gold touches.

Cheers Frazered. I took your advice on the chainguide - seems to be working well. I've helitaped and electrical taped all potential cable rub areas so hopefully the frame will stay mint as far as thats concerned.

I'm looking forward to spending more time on it.

Paul.

• warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Looks nice. If someone told me their bike had gold bars I'd probably think it'd look rubbish, but it looks good though I've always liked more subtle black and gold bikes.
    Will need to dial it in a bit, fiddle with the geo and get used to the differences; like how the front tracks with 150mm at the front - washed the front out twice - and climbing more efficiently on the long steep sections.

Both those issues would likely be helped by getting more weight over the front, i.e. lowering the stem (especially with what seems to be a relatively high-rise bar). It's a while since I used Fire XCs too, but theone thing I remember is that they'd wash out easily on loose surfaces.
  • warpcow wrote:
    Looks nice. If someone told me their bike had gold bars I'd probably think it'd look rubbish, but it looks good though I've always liked more subtle black and gold bikes.
    Will need to dial it in a bit, fiddle with the geo and get used to the differences; like how the front tracks with 150mm at the front - washed the front out twice - and climbing more efficiently on the long steep sections.

Both those issues would likely be helped by getting more weight over the front, i.e. lowering the stem (especially with what seems to be a relatively high-rise bar). It's a while since I used Fire XCs too, but theone thing I remember is that they'd wash out easily on loose surfaces.

Thanks for the comments.

Yeah I had a fair idea of how the scheme would look(and its on-going - few bits I'd like to add) so the decision to have gold Handelbars i was fairly confident would work, in fact I was going for a gold stem as well but felt it would be OTT, and prefer the contrast with the black - too much gold and it'd look a bit too bling - in a bad way :)

I've found the Panaracers to be good all-rounders and not had problems before. It could be the height of the controls, though the bars are mid and not high risers, with the spacers maybe its too high. It feels really comfy though, so I'm inclined to think its my poor body positioning + long travel and slack angles. I'm sure ill get it right soon though. Other than that it's bloody great and even though it was the first ride and unfamiliar, I was quicker according to my timing app. Proper chuffed with it.

• Same colour scheme as my old 456, i think the black and gold looks ace

dscf1037e.jpg
  • toastedone wrote:
    Same colour scheme as my old 456, i think the black and gold looks ace

dscf1037e.jpg

One of the reasons I new the gold bars would work ;D. Gold nano tech or carbon cycles pedals are next on the wish list.

• Your also from my old neck of the woods, must explain your impeccable taste, I hale from Leighton buzzard
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Lowering the bars will definitely help, you only have move the spacers round and experiment til you find the sweetspot. I have 20mm bars on mine and only a few spacers and it feels spot on. The luxury is its easy to change around and if you don't like it you can always put it back to how it was, but I'd say lowering the bars would make a big difference to how it handled
  • toastedone wrote:
    Your also from my old neck of the woods, must explain your impeccable taste, I hale from Leighton buzzard

Blimey, my office is in Church Square in LB. Ive been over this way for years now, being a Bucks boy it was an obvious choice after I moved out of London, and its a good area for riding with Ashridge, The Downs, Rushmere, Woburn etc. The missus grew up in Linslade. I ride with a group that's part of Leighton Buzzard Bike Club.

Small world.

Paul