Fred on a fixie.

young dog
young dog Posts: 64
Hi.
I am thinking of doing The Fred on my fixie. Can anyone give me some gearing/riding advice? :D

Comments

• rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    Daft idea
  • Sorry, but I don't think it's a daft idea. It's been done before I believe. Obviously the gearing would have to be right.
  • maringirl
    maringirl Posts: 195
    Biggest sprocket you can find!
  • I have done the etape dd on fixed. It's not as daft as you seem to imply. :D
  • Have you tried getting up 33% climbs with one tho?

Buy some decent shoes, you'll need em the amount of walking you'd have to do...
  • Yes and done it. Back sprocket drives front sprocket drives back sprocket drives front sprocket. It's surprising what you can do with the correct gearing. :D
  • Kudos to you then, Young Dog.

However, i'm not sure (i'm no fixie expert), but don't fixies only have one brake? If so, i would give this some heavy thought. The descents on the Fred are pretty hairy & i would say front & rear brakes are a must! Worth a thought anyway.
  • ThanksBye
    ThanksBye Posts: 519
    Fixies dont have to just have one brake, alot of people only run one due to being able to brake with your legs.
    Cotic Soul
    Pearson Hanzo
    Airborne Zeppelin
  • Thanks thanksbye.
  • JamesB
    JamesB Posts: 1,184
    If it helps here`s a pic of rider on a 63" fixed On Devils Staircase , 25% +

http://kidderminsterctc.smugmug.com/Aud ... &k=qN9FKC4

respect :)
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    So what gear would you go for on Hardknott given it's a fair bit harder than the Devil's Staircase ? You almost need different sprockets on each side and flip the wheel for the big hills.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Firstly, grunting your way up a short thirty-percenter isn't quite the same as Hardknott and a wholly different proposition to L'Etape where gradients rarely exceed 10%.
    Are you talking fixed gear or singlespeed (freewheel)?
    The downhills aren't smooth, it's very difficult to just let the bike run on some descents and you'll certainly want front and rear brakes.
    Frankly, you only know what gear is suitable as it depends on the rider, but low-60s would be a good start.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Haha, get on!

You'll definitely need some brakes though, hopefully they'll stop you riding it if you don't have any.
  • Strith
    Strith Posts: 541
    Sounds awesome. I'd be inclined to go singlespeed, but if you're up to it go for it. Let us know how it goes
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    JamesB wrote:
    If it helps here`s a pic of rider on a 63" fixed On Devils Staircase , 25% +

http://kidderminsterctc.smugmug.com/Aud ... &k=qN9FKC4

respect :)
    Yeah, and take a look at him. Looks like he has escaped from somewhere secure, which says it all really.
  • Life is a challenge.. Make your own eh.. Sometimes the outlandish becomes more normal.
    C2C2C (C3) - could that become C2C2C2C (C4) - single day rides, done the C3 already, looking for the next challenge! :D