Anyone applying for the Fred Whitton this year?

rob13
rob13 Posts: 430
4 times harder than any sportive i've done (double distance, double climbing), its gonna be a hell of a ride if I get a place.

Anyone else entered/done it before?

Comments

• Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Yes and yes. A group of 5 of us (well 4+1) have entered so hopefully we'll get in - have done it a couple of times before but years ago now - so long ago you didn't have to wear a helmet in fact ! Target is to break 7 hours or die (hopefully not literally) trying.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • pitchshifter
    pitchshifter Posts: 1,476
    Tempted to sign up.

Has anyone done it with a double chainset? I'd consider a 28-12 cassette but i can't be bothered to change my chainset...
  • Tom Butcher
    Yes did it on 39*27 - had to walk a bit of Hardknott but that was it. A mate did it in 39*25 and got round in about 6.30 so it's possible - fit the lowest gearing you have but not worth changing the chainset.

• Did it last year for first time & it was hard....but bloomin awesome. Loved every minutes, especially the steep bits, which there are lots. Thats that masochist in me coming out. Applied again this year & am hoping so much i get a place. I had a compact with a 28/11 casette. Got me up & over everything.

You will need to put in the miles for training tho if this is a big step up for you & invlove some serious climbing!

Anyone can do it though if they prepare well. It's a truly brilliant event.
  • rob13
    Yeah, I dont think i've quite prepared myself for the hills! I'll have to get some serious hill reps in to get anywhere near 12000ft of climbing in one ride! The most I've done to date is about 6000ft over 65 miles hence it being 4 times as hard.
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    Taking a break this year as I have done it the last 6 years in a row and feel like a veteran now. Great event and atmposphere is electric pre start off - no other UK feels like it. Crowds fantastic and give real support.

Rock hard though and unforgiving and have seen a fair amount of spills and falls and more so on this event than any other.

Hardknott at 100miles - well I have managed it every time but it's always hard(very very hard) :twisted:

Good luck for your entries and if you get in then even more good luck
    Brian B.
  • 4th time I have entered, wonder if I'll get in this time?
    My Marmotte 2012 Blog:
    http://steve-lamarmotte2012.blogspot.com/
    cervelo R5 VWD
    Spesh Roubaix
    Genesis Equilibrium
    Spesh FSR Stumpy Expert
    Spesh M4 Stumpy
    Brompton SL2
    Giant TCX
    Canyon Grandcanyon 29er
  • pitchshifter
    pitchshifter Posts: 1,476
    speshsteve wrote:
    4th time I have entered, wonder if I'll get in this time?

3 times without getting in?

Thats good to know, i'll have no chance! :lol:
  • Decided to give it a miss this year after doing it around 6 times, like Brian.

Did it once on a double with 39*27 lowest gear and I didn't walk. I don't think I could do that again!

Big group of boys from Thames Velo will be there again this year.

Must do sportive - the hardest I've ever done in the UK.
    founder of cyclosport.org
  • speshsteve wrote:
    4th time I have entered, wonder if I'll get in this time?

3 times without getting in?

Thats good to know, i'll have no chance! :lol:

I have friends who have got in every time they entered....I'm starting to take it personally now!
    My Marmotte 2012 Blog:
    cervelo R5 VWD
    Spesh Roubaix
    Genesis Equilibrium
    Spesh FSR Stumpy Expert
    Spesh M4 Stumpy
    Brompton SL2
    Giant TCX
    Canyon Grandcanyon 29er
  • gcs
    gcs Posts: 8
    I've done the Fred a couple of times now and have to say it is the hardest of all the Sportives I've done, but the most rewarding.

Both times the weather has been fantastic, making the scenery stunning. Thoroughly enjoyed the whole
    event, really well organised, and everyone very friendly

Yes, Hardknott coming up at 100 miles certainly is a daunting prospect, found myself trying anything to distract from the pain, last time I studied the cassette of the guy in front of me who looked like he wasn't going to stop, so stayed with him and made it up.

Had a deferred entry from last year, but decided to do a local event instead. Now wishing I was making the trip up in May!

Good luck to all those that get a place
  • essjaydee
    essjaydee Posts: 917
    I've not done it before, but have sent my entry form in.

Fingers crossed.
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    After bottling it the last two years I have applied as a first timer. Fingers crossed for Friday.
  • JamesB
    JamesB Posts: 1,184
    Looks like my entry accepted, cheque cashed (carry over entry from 2012 , withdrew due to illness :( ) so hopefully this year will not get continaul chest infection, severe cough again....
  • Rider list is up. Who's got a place? I'm not on it & am gutted. Oh well, anyone done the Etape du Dales? Might look into doing this instead.
  • Unlucky Nuno, Etape DD is a fantastic ride though and entries open on 21st and you'll definately get in if you're quick. The Keswick sportive is on that weekend too which is my favourite. Managed to get in the Fred with a first time entry...well happy!
  • Yeah, I managed to get a place on my first time entry too; although if it is a bad as everything I am reading - it may well be the last!!!

:oops:
  • Tom Butcher
    In, 8 from our club got in one missed out.

• thats the 4th time I haven't got in!

Etape DD looks like the bet option for me

Steve
    My Marmotte 2012 Blog:
    cervelo R5 VWD
    Spesh Roubaix
    Genesis Equilibrium
    Spesh FSR Stumpy Expert
    Spesh M4 Stumpy
    Brompton SL2
    Giant TCX
    Canyon Grandcanyon 29er
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    I am in, first time - feeling happy but also a little apprehensive. Unlucky @speshsteve
  • essjaydee
    essjaydee Posts: 917
    No luck for me :(

Might arrange to do the challenge ride in the summer, assuming we get one :|

Think I'll punish myself by entering the Bowland Badass instead :twisted:
  • backo
    backo Posts: 167
    speshsteve..you sending your app form to the right address??

only joking...but did you write on the envelope "first time rider"?
  • yep and yep I had my entry sent back to me each time in the SAE so its definitely getting there!
    My Marmotte 2012 Blog:
    cervelo R5 VWD
    Spesh Roubaix
    Genesis Equilibrium
    Spesh FSR Stumpy Expert
    Spesh M4 Stumpy
    Brompton SL2
    Giant TCX
    Canyon Grandcanyon 29er
  • rob13
    No entry for me or a mate who entered separately. Both first time applicants.
  • neil.s
    neil.s Posts: 123
    Fred Whitton virgin here :D

I'll be riding in my club kit (M Steel Cycles), I'm the only one in the club to get a spot on the start line - although if I don't start and do some serious training they may not let me ride in the team clothing and thus embarrass the club and the shop :oops:

I'll be the typical MAMIL on a bike that is way too good for the rider.

Also, if number '13' isn't unlucky enough I've gone and got number '1313' - so bad they numbered it twice. I think I'm going to suffer.

Oh dear :(

Please say hello and offer me some encouragement when your passing me, going backwards on the uphill sections. Thank you.
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    speshsteve wrote:
    yep and yep I had my entry sent back to me each time in the SAE so its definitely getting there!

Hi Speshsteve - I have sent you a private message.
    Brian B.
  • fearby
    fearby Posts: 245
    I think it is quite likely a lot of people will reply to the original post as this tends to be the forum that most people doing things like sportives like the Fred Whitton would look at.

That is all.
  • shazzz
    shazzz Posts: 1,077
    Time to resurrect this thread!
    Less than two weeks to go now. How are people feeling?
    Started checking the long range weather forecast yet?
    I've got a few longer rides under my belt recently so am at least feeling confident that I can get round. How long it will take me is anyone's guess though.
    There's a great picture series (not mine) at the link below if you need some help to get the nerves going....
    http://www.bikeit.eclipse.co.uk/localrides/ride2/1.htm

And here are the words:
    http://www.bikeit.eclipse.co.uk/localrides/ride2/
  • markynulty
    markynulty Posts: 409
    I have done quite a lot of long hard rides up to now with as much climbing as possible. Did the Lakeland loop last week and the descent from hardknott was messy. Lots of grit and gravel with huge potholes. Had a tyre blow out on the rear. I hope the Fred is a dry ride, as went through 2/3 of a set of dt swiss black pads on the Lakeland loop. Can't wait now though!
  • shazzz
    shazzz Posts: 1,077
    markynulty wrote:
    I have done quite a lot of long hard rides up to now with as much climbing as possible. Did the Lakeland loop last week and the descent from hardknott was messy. Lots of grit and gravel with huge potholes. Had a tyre blow out on the rear. I hope the Fred is a dry ride, as went through 2/3 of a set of dt swiss black pads on the Lakeland loop. Can't wait now though!

Thanks for the heads up on the conditions. I thought the roads around me were bad, but that sounds atrocious! Luckily I ordered new tyres and brake blocks at the weekend....