Brake and Fork Upgrade for Hardrock Disc 2012

gloriousd
gloriousd Posts: 3
edited March 2013 in MTB beginners
Hi All

I've a hardrock disc which i'm very happy with for my use other than the brakes. What are peoples thoughts on my plans, I've done a little research but am open to suggestions. I'm 6ft and 12 stone, I like to ride through the woods as quick as I can but nothing lunatic. As stated I've got a 2012 hardrock disc.

My planned upgrade path is below:

1. Change front caliper (lever and cable) to shimano M595 (can I keep my stock rotor?)
2. Change the rear to match if i'm happy with the front
3. Upgrade the font fork to Rock Shox or similar mild upgrade part suitable to accept a 180mm rotor - Looking for advise please budget is sub £100 if possible, happy to search ebay for a bargain!
4. Upgrade front rotor to 180mm - again advise on suitable part would be good.

Hope this is enough info and not been covered too many times before.

Cheers
Chris

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Stick new Deore brakes on and I doubt you'll need new rotors. Add the money saved on rotors and adapters to the fork budget.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    As stated above, keep the original rotors. I swapped to M596 Deores on my 2011 Hardrock and kept the same rotors as the original Avid BB5s had been gripping - you'll notice the improvement. Look for bargains on the Rockshox Recon range, they're pretty much the go-to choice for upgrading the Hardrock
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • cooldad
    Yup, get 596's.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Or go used....My XT's cost less than new M596's and I recently got some air Recons for £72 off ebay......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks chaps, am I right in thinking you can swap rotor size and keep the same calliper if I do decide I need to go bigger?

And is there a specific fork you'd recommend or will any of the rock shock range be a good upgrade?

Thanks
  • cooldad
    Bottom end RS are rubbish, like all bottom end forks.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Plyphon
    Plyphon Posts: 433
    While what cooldad says above may or may not be true, what is true is that any fork you do choose will be fantastic over the stock SunTour fork.

I would stay away from the very very bottom end Rock Shox for - the XC something or other I think it's called.

I had a 2012 Hardrock Sport Disc up until very recently and I had stuck a Rock Shox Recon Silver TK for on it for £100 - completely transformed the bike (For the better).
  • I went from Avid Juicy 3's to M666 SLX brakes. Rotor wise i have an original Avid cleansweep and a Hope Sawblade, so rotors are very much interchangeable. The Shimano brakes are way way better than the Avids as well.

I second what people are saying about bottom end forks. I had a set of Dart 3's and they seized after about 4 month of gentle riding. If you can, see if you can get some Reba's on Ebay, might struggle to get them for the 100 quid mark though. There is a set on ebay right now with an hour left and the current price is 87 quid plus p&p. Who knows you might get lucky.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    XC32 and Recon Silver are great for the money.
  • cooldad
    Just avoid anything undamped with the skinny 28mm stanchions.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    Suntour Epicon and Raidon are OK, as are RS Tora (not really much of an upgrade, but a bit) and Recon Silver, Recon Gold saves a bit more weight by having less steel and more aluminium., RS Dart are no better (or maybe even worse) than your current Suntour XCT/M/R (whichever is fitted!).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • worb68
    worb68 Posts: 75
    OK, im new to all this. I have a Hardrock disk 2011 and have been debating upgrades or buying a new bike as the brakes and forks are not up to trail riding. IN fact there appalling!

Can you put all of the above into english for me so I can follow this thread as it makes for an intersting read but doesnt mean much to me the newbie.

Thank you very much.
  • cooldad
    Which bits don't make sense?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    My 15 year old daughter did Cannock FtD on some steel lowered elastomered RST's and Promax discs - MTFU!
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    worb68 wrote:
    OK, im new to all this. I have a Hardrock disk 2011 . . . Can you put all of the above into english for me

1. Congratulations on your purchase, it marks you out as a gentleman of exquisite taste (see below)
    2. Swap your heavy forks for a lighter Rockshox Recon
    3. Swap your brakes for Shimano Deore
    4. Enjoy your much lighter bike that doesn't need its brake pads adjusted after every ride
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • worb68
    how much are these bits likely to cost? Where are the best places to get them from?

Whats the Stock rotor & front rotor?
    Air Recon?
  • The Rookie
    Cost? Look and find out like everyone else does.....

Stock rotor is what you bike has as stock/standard/original part Front rotor is the rotor on the front!

Air Recon, arecon fork that uses air as the spring medium, not a steel coil spring.
  • snoopsmydogg
    snoopsmydogg Posts: 1,110
    Cost? Look and find out like everyone else does.....

Stock rotor is what you bike has as stock/standard/original part Front rotor is the BRAKE DISC on the front wheel!

Air Recon, a fork made by ROCK SHOX to which the model is RECON that uses air as the spring medium, not a steel coil spring.

Edited just in case worb68 still struggled :wink:
  • Here you go £99.99 I don't think you will find a set of forks any cheaper
    http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FORSRES80/r ... ut_poplock

Some good discounts on there at the minute, can get some fox forks for 300 or some Reba's for 250 which is good price - personally I would save the pennies wait 6 months and get a really decent set of forks

Keep on upgrading mate - my "project Hardrock 2010" became a SantaCruz Superlight last month - granted nothing left of the original bike but over time if you keep an eye out you can get some good deals online.
  • worb68
    Thank you very much everyone. It's a tough one, upgrade or buy new.

Out of interest you project hard rock what have you put on it?
  • In this order...
    Nukeproof Electron pedals
    Fox RL100 forks - ex display so only payed 180 for them
    Avid Juicy something or other brakes
    Easton Haven bar
    Fat silicon chunky grips
    Raceface evolve 70mm stem
    Fulrum Red Power XL wheel set
    Shwalbe Rocket Rons
    easton ea30 seat post
    sella italia something or other seat
    Shimano SLX groupset - cranks, derailers ect
    Then saw a really good price on a superlight frame for 650 got that last month and moved the bits over

Oddly after saying nothing of original bike left - i was wrong, seat post collar - which promptly fell apart before I went riding this morning so treated myself to a hope seat post collar

Put it all together over the last 2 years really enjoyed it - nice to know no one will have a bike quite like mine
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    Drzoidberg wrote:
    Put it all together over the last 2 years really enjoyed it - nice to know no one will have a bike quite like mine
    anyone who upgrades parts on there hardrock can say exactly the same, their have been quite a few posted on the forum that have been heavily upgraded, there's been fox,reba's, full xt groupsets, you name it, but at the end of the day its still a hardrock :wink:
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • Well it was till I bolted the bits onto the Superlight frame, but even when it was a nicely pimped hardrock it was a really nice bike to ride
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    Drzoidberg wrote:
    but even when it was a nicely pimped hardrock it was a really nice bike to ride
    not disagreeing with you there, i have one myself, well the frame and brakes of the original bike that is :wink::lol:
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • Hi all, newly venturing into the MTB section. New to cycling in general and even newer to MTB.

Just came across this thread. I have just got the 2013 model which has Tektro Novela brakes. I assume these are a bit better than the Avids you mentioned as being on the earlier model? Or could they still do with being upgraded to Deores etc?

I take it the same recommendation goes for the fork upgrade to Rock Shox Recons?
    2015 Specialized Tarmac Expert Ultegra
    2016 Focus Mares CX Ultegra
    2016 Specialized Stumpjumper HT Comp Carbon 29
    2012 Boardman Road Race 105
    2013 Specialized Hardrock Disc
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Recons are a good buy. If the discs work for you, then leave them on.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    worb68 wrote:
    how much are these bits likely to cost? Where are the best places to get them from?

Whats the Stock rotor & front rotor?
    Air Recon?

Don't forget your please & thank you Timothy.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500