MTB Maintenance

worb68
worb68 Posts: 75
edited January 2013 in MTB beginners
Hello,

I'd be interested to hear what you do for regular maintenance on your bikes?
How do you clean your bike after a ride? What tools do you use, do you use a hose etc?
What to lubricate regularly and what with?
Any good weather protectors especially in the weather we are having at the moment?

Thanks.

W.

Comments

• Rambo_123
    Rambo_123 Posts: 183
    When i get home i give the bike a hose down to get rid of any clumps of mud, spray all over with muc off bike cleaner (the pink stuff). Whilst waiting 5 mins for the cleaner to do its stuff i go make a cup of tea, then hose down the bike. Then clean the chain with the pink stuff and brushes (old toothbrush would be fine.) and then spray the bike with muc off bike spray (cover the disc brakes though) to leave a shine and then the chain to drive out moisture i then lub using muc off wet lube.
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Wait for mud to dry (usually 5mins before next ride) and brush off worst of it. Lube and wipe off chain regularly/as necessary. If all else fails, go ride and cover it in more dirt so you forget about the first lot.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • if you treasure you bike or if it was a lot of money spend the time after each ride and bring it back to life

unless that is you have a lot of spare cash and dont mind buying a new bike every 12-18 months :P

my bike wasent the most expensive bike at £1000 but for me its a lot of cash, so i go that little bit extra to look after it because its got to last me years

after every ride the first thing i do it fill my water water spray bottle, its a large 15ltr fence sprayer kind. i use this because its not as powerfull as a garden hose. i wash off all the main mud then spray it down using fenwicks Fs1
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/fen ... gn=froogle
    this is much better than muc-off and because its concentrate you can mix it to a ratio of 10-1 so this bottle will make 10ltr, i always keep about 1/3 concentrate as its a amazing degreaser too
    il leave the fenwicks on for about 3 mins while i make a cup of coffee :)

than spray the bike down making sure i dont leave any fenwicks on the bike.
    so the bike is now all clean but it now needs some TLC from some GT85 & Muc-off Wet Lube
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/gt8 ... r-ec005522
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/muc ... e-ec028546

il spray the cassett,front & rear mech,crankset with GT85. this helps with water displacer, then just wipe up any oil drips so things like breaks dont get infected. ive mode a plastick guard that slides behind the cassett so when i do spray it, it dosent go onto my back disk break.

then il use my wet lube on my chain, i normally degrease my chaine about every 2 weeks just depends on how many rides ive done and were. were i ride at sherwood pines its been very muddy for many months now. (bloody rain :evil: )

so all thats left is to spray some GT85 onto a clean microfiber cloth and il wipe my frame all over to bring it back to showroom condition, also doing this leaves a barrier that helps stop mud and other crap stick to your bike for next time.

my forks get a tiny squirt of GT85, and thats about it ( I Think) :lol:

i take just over 1 hour doing all this, but to me its not so much a chore as i enjoy it, i look after my bike now and when im out it will look after me. :)
  • Hi all

complete newbie alert here......

I've just go into mtb-ing

due to the nasty weather we've been having what should i do after a wet ride?? at the mo i'm just wiping down with a dry towel and a quick spray of wd,

cheers

m.
  • Hi all

due to the nasty weather we've been having what should i do after a wet ride?? at the mo i'm just wiping down with a dry towel and a quick spray of wd,

cheers

m.
  • Newfish
    Newfish Posts: 121
    edited January 2013
    Hi all

cheers

m.

Don't us WD40!! It attracts dust and dirt (not sure why/how I'm sure someone can explain) get a Teflon based lube, GT85 or similar.
    Cheers,
    Simon.
    WD is OK if you clean up after and then add some actual lubriucant, GT85 is better.

I use water to give the bike the first wash, soap (not washing up liquid) to give it a second wash then a quick spray with a light spray on grease on the cassette and relube the chain.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • DONT USE WD40 FOR GOD

go to your local bike shop or asda/tesco they sell gt85, asda is the cheapest by far

also DONT USE car shampoo or washing up liquid no matter what anybody tells you, washing up liquid has salts and most car shampoos have a mix of salt and or wax. even the quality car shampoo like "mer" that says its ok for mountain bikes is no good because it has a high level of wax. i tryed mer shampoo the first time i got my bike dirty and on the next ride i couldent stop propley because of the wax on my disks breaks LoL. the best thing to buy for value is Fenwicks at around 9.99. i always get mine when evens cycles have their discount codes.
  • Stu Coops
    Stu Coops Posts: 426
    DONT USE WD40 FOR GOD

go to your local bike shop or asda/tesco they sell gt85, asda is the cheapest by far

also DONT USE car shampoo or washing up liquid no matter what anybody tells you, washing up liquid has salts and most car shampoos have a mix of salt and or wax. even the quality car shampoo like "mer" that says its ok for mountain bikes is no good because it has a high level of wax. i tryed mer shampoo the first time i got my bike dirty and on the next ride i couldent stop propley because of the wax on my disks breaks LoL. the best thing to buy for value is Fenwicks at around 9.99. i always get mine when evens cycles have their discount codes.

Used washing up liquid for 15yrs not denying it has salt content but never done my bikes any harm still look good as new once cleaned.
    Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I agree, you rinse after washing anyway.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • worb68
    worb68 Posts: 75
    Thankyou for your answers - been very useful.
  • andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    2013-01-04125501.jpg

Selection of brushes - £1
    6 Terry dish cloths - £1
    Stardrops - £1
    Scouring sponges - £1
    Take a guess where from :)
    And some spray grease and 3 in 1 oil I've had for ages, for the bits that need lube
  • Depends which bike.

The RL is deffo the winter bike so gets chucked in the shed to dry off before putting it away. Mud gets brushed off before the next ride!

The Canyon gets a full clean and lube after every ride.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    I wouldn't be spraying GT 85 on my fork seals really either its not that good a stuff for rubber.

Get some proper fork damping oil same as int he fork, or fox float fluid there seals lube. not that expensive and loks after your shock way better :P
  • Andy9964 wrote:
    2013-01-04125501.jpg

Selection of brushes - £1
    6 Terry dish cloths - £1
    Stardrops - £1
    Scouring sponges - £1
    Take a guess where from :)
    And some spray grease and 3 in 1 oil I've had for ages, for the bits that need lube

ouch, :shock:
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    I wouldn't be spraying anything IMO. Its far too likely to hit brake pads/discs. Especially if you're using a spray lube on the drivetrain.
  • I use water and a car alloy brush mostly.

Then Fleet Cleaner (cost £25 for 25 L and is diluted 1:10).
    on the chain I use it neat on an old tooth brush.

For lube I use engine oil.
    When God gave out brains I thought he said trains, and I said "it's OK I already have one".
  • Uli
    Uli Posts: 190
    Don't get fooled by cleaning product manufacturers and their marketing departments. You honestly don't need cleaning sets and chain gizmos for your bike for "only £49.99". In many cases would be cheaper to replace drivetrain every 3 months than buy this stuff. You can get away with as little as possible as stated above.
  • Uli wrote:
    Don't get fooled by cleaning product manufacturers and their marketing departments. You honestly don't need cleaning sets and chain gizmos for your bike for "only £49.99". In many cases would be cheaper to replace drivetrain every 3 months than buy this stuff. You can get away with as little as possible as stated above.

""in many cases would be cheaper to replace drivetrain every 3 months than buy this stuff""

LoL :lol: Then you must have money to burn or have cheap bike components :!:

to replace my drivetrain it would cost around...

SRAM PG1050 10 Speed MTB Cassette rrp 64.99
    FSA Comet BB30 rrp 130
    SRAM X9 FRONT MECH RRP 45.00
    SRAM X9 Type 2 10 Speed Rear Mech RRP 89.99

or just spend about £15-20 for some good quality bike was like fenwicks and a tin of gt85 and come chain oil like muc off wet lube. :P
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Ahh but who pays RRP for anything :wink:
  • cooldad
    Greer_ wrote:
    Ahh but who buys Sram :wink:
    FTFY
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • DanDax1990
    DanDax1990 Posts: 1,201
    First thing I do is take my chain off and give it a good clean using GT85 then I leave it in an old Quality street tin and put a blob of lube on each link.

I use a rag for the rear cassette, Folded in half and sprayed with a little bit of GT85 and rub in between each cog.

Take the crank arms off and take apart and leave the bolts in a little jar with some GT85 sprayed on them, same with the chain rings.

Take both wheels off and give the rims and spokes a while down with a rag with GT85 sprayed on.

Take the pads out of my calipers and put the bleed blocks in. Then clean the frame.

Re-lube bottom bracket etc and then reassemble everything. Chain goes on last after wiping excess lube off.
    Easy.
  • cooldad
    DanDax1990 wrote:
    First thing I do is take my chain off and give it a good clean using GT85 then I leave it in an old Quality street tin and put a blob of lube on each link.

I use a rag for the rear cassette, Folded in half and sprayed with a little bit of GT85 and rub in between each cog.

Take the crank arms off and take apart and leave the bolts in a little jar with some GT85 sprayed on them, same with the chain rings.

Take both wheels off and give the rims and spokes a while down with a rag with GT85 sprayed on.

Take the pads out of my calipers and put the bleed blocks in. Then clean the frame.

Re-lube bottom bracket etc and then reassemble everything. Chain goes on last after wiping excess lube off.
    Easy.
    Every ride? Are you OCD?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Myster101
    Myster101 Posts: 856
    Rinse with a hose, spray on some Megs APC diluted down, leave for a few mins, brush cogs etc with EZ wheel brush, rinse again. Dry with Sonus towel, protect frame with Chem Guys Jet Seal. Lube the bits that need lubed, job done.

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Nukeproof Mega AM 275 Comp
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    I'm pretty sure Northwind said there seems to be a direct correlation between obsessive cleaners and "Help breaks (sic) not working!" and "Gears skipping WHY!?!" threads.
  • cooldad wrote:
    DanDax1990 wrote:

Easy.
    Every ride? Are you OCD?

He just respect's his bike and enjoys maintaining it :) nothing wrong with that
  • DanDax1990
    DanDax1990 Posts: 1,201
    cooldad wrote:
    DanDax1990 wrote:

Easy.[/quote
    Every ride? Are you OCD?

I do it a minimum of once a month, I finish work at 1pm on Fridays so normally fettle with the bike if I dont have plans.

Oh and yes I do have OCD lol
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I wouldn't be spraying GT 85 on my fork seals really either its not that good a stuff for rubber.

Get some proper fork damping oil same as int he fork, or fox float fluid there seals lube. not that expensive and loks after your shock way better :P

A good teflon spray like TF2 is much cheaper and just as effective. Dirt and dust will stick to a wet oil and turn in to a nasty mess.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Greer_ wrote:
    I wouldn't be spraying anything IMO. Its far too likely to hit brake pads/discs. Especially if you're using a spray lube on the drivetrain.
    Shower cap around the disc caliper/rotor during every service involving any sprays for me.