Swinley Forest & permits

worb68
worb68 Posts: 75
edited January 2013 in Routes
Hello,

Anyone know if you need to still get a permit for Swinley Forest now they have started charging for car parking?

Thanks.

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    No you dont.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I wouldn't bother going. It's rubbish, worst trail centre I have been to by far.
  • Newfish
    Newfish Posts: 121
    I wouldn't bother going. It's rubbish, worst trail centre I have been to by far.

Without clarifying why that's a bit of a useless statement. There seems to be huge variety of skills and abilities on here so for some it might be fantastic. However if it is poorly maintained etc then that is something different.

Could you clarify you statement to include a reason why? That way someone like me who has never been can make an informed opionion?

Thanks. :)
    Cheers,
    Simon.
    That's not how it works, he usually just likes to use sweeping unjustified opinions.

That said, I've never been so have no idea.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    As it's not a trail centre (yet), bit of a pointless post really. You may have noticed that none of the trails were marked or signposted.
    It's just a bit of forest/hilly stuff, that has been ridden on for years, some trails have been 'developed' and surfaced.

It is now being converted into an official type trail centre, but most of the trails are closed whilst work goes on, so unless you know it quite well, you won't find lots to ride.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    But if you know it you can (could?) string together a 20 mile ride, with lots of fun stuff (if you like singletrack) and a few steeper trails to keep things interesting.
    It even had a rock garden (well two rocks anyway).
    As it's virtually my back garden, I quite like the place.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    Don't buy a permit on-line and then buy a car park ticket when you get there - as you pay twice (as I did) :oops:

If I remember correctly, the car park ticket also gives you the permit bit?
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • Just to clarify the situation, the Swinley Forest Permit Scheme does not end until 31.3.13. Until then you need a permit to ride in the Forest and it also gives you the necessary 3rd party liability insurance cover. A Day Permit costs £2 and, if you buy one online at http://www.gorrick.com , print it off and take it with you, you can then get your £2 car parking charge (which gives you NO permisssion or insurance) refunded at the Look Out reception.
  • cooldad
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but apart from the liability insurance, which a lot of people have, the money collected was supposed to be used for trail maintenence etc. As this has now changed and Gorrick are not doing the new trails, what is the permit money being used for?

And although this might make me unpopular, I know lots of people who've been riding Swinley for years without a permit, rightly or wrongly. The rangers never check, the only people who've ever brought it up are BOB members.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • milko9000
    milko9000 Posts: 533
    I did once chat to a ranger while someone got Landrovered out of babymaker to hospital, he was all "hope he's OK. Unless he didn't have a permit, in which case HOPE HE DIES, bwahahaha", more or less. Nearest I've come to being checked for one ever. I have an annual permit but I always stow it in my pack so nobody can actually see the thing anyway.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    @ Gorrick Team, you're right of course, dunno what I was thinking.... I even told someone that exact advice the other day. ho hum.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Swinley looks quite good from what I've seen, lots of short, fast, flowy singletrack runs. And Cooldad is right, it's not a trail centre, so don't expect it to be one.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • worb68
    worb68 Posts: 75
    Thanks for replies. Quite like it down there but you do need someone with you to show around otherwise youll strruggle to find anything. Should be good after March I believe when it opens as a trail centre.
  • I wouldn't bother going. It's rubbish, worst trail centre I have been to by far.

Sounds like you have ridden round the fire roads and gone home without ever finding a trail. . . . .

FWIW, I have buddies who regularly ride Cannock Chase, Forest of Dean etc and they will happily make the 5 hour round trip to come down and ride Swinley over staying local.
    My biggest fear is that should I crash, burn and die, my Wife would sell my stuff based upon what I told her I paid for it.