My Carrera Kraken

Aldo001
Aldo001 Posts: 251
edited January 2013 in Your mountain bikes
I needed a new bike... I read that Halfrauds had a sale on. I didn't want to spend ALL of my savings. I bought a Carrera Kraken 09. I love it :D
Photo0096.jpg
Photo0102.jpg
Photo0097.jpg
Sorry for the poor quality camera phone pics.

Forgot to say. It was £320 as I got 80 quid off with the online deal... Tremendous!

Comments

• Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Nice choice! Still got mine in the garage, sadly buried under all the cotics but sometimes it gets to come out for a play.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Aldo001
    Thanks! Before, I didn't think that hydraulic discs would be much different from cable ones... My, my, how I was wrong! I love 'em :D
    I need to get my V8s off my old bike but they are pretty much welded on!
    Now I just have to decide what to do with my old bike. It is a perfectly good bike but something needs done with the forks (the lowers move forwards under braking...) and I need some spokes for the back wheel as some were wiped out when my mech hanger snapped and my mech went into the wheel....
  • Hi, mate, i see you live in Lithgow, as a matter of interest where did you take those pics, i can see a jump or two in the photos, is it somewhere local.

Cheers

I'm in Uphall by the way
  • Aldo001
    Sharky999 wrote:
    Hi, mate, i see you live in Lithgow, as a matter of interest where did you take those pics, i can see a jump or two in the photos, is it somewhere local.

Cheers

I'm in Uphall by the way

Ah cool
    The jumps aren't great tbh, they are used more by neds on mx bikes :lol:
    Kinda fun though
    You know the Union Canal and the aquaduct on it? Well, if you are heading to falkirk after the aquaduct you go under one bridge farther along the canal, then under another. Right after u go under this bridge, look to the right and u'll see steps. Go up these and then up the hill, on the left you will see a gate and a big sign saying something about fly-tipping. This is the bing and said jumps. Got all that? :lol:
    I think there are some bigger, better jumps somewhere but I keep forgetting to ask the mate that I think knows where they are
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    nice! good for the cash!
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Aldo, is that west of linlithgow, i know theres some jumps at the bings near phillipstoun, just never had the chance yet.
    Have you been to beecraigs and is it any good?
    cheers
    Sharkster
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Beecraigs is surprisingly good, though it'd be worth finding someone to show you around- a wee visit to the MTB Scotland site would be a good idea I think. I've only been there once in the snow but we had a good day.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Aldo001
    The ones I'm talking about are east of L'gow, towards falkirk. Its called Muiravonside Bing I think. I am aware of the massive one at Phillipstoun but seeing as there are poo-loads of burnt out cars and people on MX bikes up there I haven't dared go :p
    It is nice up at Beecraigs, I have never had my bike up there for some reason (maybe it is the large hilll you have to get up first :lol:) I might actually try and go up there at the weekend if tonight/tomorrow's snow is gone :?
  • Northwind: thanks for that, I'll have a look tonight.

Aldo Muiravonside rings a bell, I think your geography is a wee bit oot, Im sure Falkirk is west of linlithgow, as phillipstoun is east of Linlithgow :lol:

when i got my bike the owner of the shop had mentioned the bing at Ph'stoun seemingly his friend had built all the jumps there,.

I'm purely looking for somewhere local as Almondell country park is pretty limited and i dont always have the time to head to Gtress.

Thanks again
  • Aldo001
    Ach well! Was never any good at it last year at school :lol:
    I am interested in the P'toun bing but as I said, I'm not sure about going up there for fear of gettin chibbed... Nah bu really, not sure what dodgy ned could be hanging around there. I wish there were some v. decent trails around here as well. Somone on here said there were some in Bo'ness woods or something. Can't remember though
  • Nice bike, glad there as good as I thought as I've just recommended to my brother he should get one! :)
  • For anyone wondering, this bike is very good for jumps, i have compared it to the new cboardman bikes on the same 1.5m double ramp at barraby woods (sorry if that is not spelt right). This bike is easily superior because the forks it comes with are just great for takeoff and landing as well as the light weight frame. The bike is stable in midair and it often durable for the odd accident. It lacks the uphill abilities as the new cboardman bikes but for a jump bike, its worth it!
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Nothing wrong with a kraken! Get your bike in the thread in my sig, and also have a look at mine! I started off with your exact same bike ...
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Mine is the older frame, not sure who's is most modfied Greers or mine (see link in my sig) we'd also love more bikes in the combined thread!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Greer_
    Mine is the older frame, not sure who's is most modfied Greers or mine (see link in my sig) we'd also love more bikes in the combined thread!

Yours! I still have the original seatpost :lol:
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Probably the original under BB cable guide as well (mine is now a lightweight single specific.....)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Greer_
    Ahhh that's right (which is 4 grams lighter!!) Damn there's the 4 bottle cage bolts too!