Buying a replacement front wheel

Gamblor
Gamblor Posts: 84
edited January 2013 in MTB beginners
So I've just gone down to start a ride and some knobhead has stolen the front wheel of my 2008 Carerra Vulcan. I had it chained up in our car park with a heavy duty chain/lock round the frame and a shackle lock through the back wheel. Why anyone would just steal the front wheel is beyond me, but there you go. They didn't even take the lights!

Not impressed as I've now got to buy a front wheel and have no idea where to start as I'm more or less a total noob.

I gather I'll need the wheel/tyre with the disk brake that was on it. How do I make sure I get a wheel that will match the back wheel (same tyre/size/brake etc)

EDIT: The back wheel is a Hotmetal EX-s 6103, but I'll also need to buy the replacement quick release thread/pole.

201301061805061.jpg

Comments

• Gamblor wrote:
    Why anyone would just steal the front wheel is beyond me, but there you go.

Maybe he's building a unicycle, just a thought.
  • trooperk
    trooperk Posts: 189
    Sorry to hear your bad news, in future might be good idea to put the chain through the frame and back wheel and the D-lock on front wheel/frame.
    Specialized-The clitoris of bikes.
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Any 26" front disc wheel will fit. You'll need to get a wheel, then a tyre, inner tube, 160mm disc, rotor bolts and QR skewer. Check with your LBS first then have a look at merlin online.

I have my bike stored at uni, d lock through frame and back wheel with a motorbike chain looped through both wheels.
  • Gamblor
    trooperk wrote:
    Sorry to hear your bad news, in future might be good idea to put the chain through the frame and back wheel and the D-lock on front wheel/frame.

In future its just going to stay in my flat. It was only in the car park as it got a bit of a mess around having to man-handle it down stairs every time I wanted to ride.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    You might be better just buying a second hand wheel; you may find one complete with tyre and rotor.
  • Gamblor
    A mates just popped over with a spare front wheel, it'll do me for the time being. Happy days
  • Gamblor wrote:
    Why anyone would just steal the front wheel is beyond me, but there you go.

Maybe he's building a unicycle, just a thought.

I'm just messing with you man, I had my bike stolen in 2011 right outside my workplace and was fecking furious because my colleagues thought it was hilarious.

You must of been super pi**ed off to come back and find the tyre missing, probably felt like an idiot taking the bike back with no front wheel.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I reckon I've still got the front wheel off my Kraken in the garage, not worth much to me so you'd be welcome to it for the price of postage (or collect it from Edinburgh).
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Gamblor
    Northwind wrote:
    I reckon I've still got the front wheel off my Kraken in the garage, not worth much to me so you'd be welcome to it for the price of postage (or collect it from Edinburgh).

Thats very gererous of you mate. I've got a new wheel sorted now but its off an old Apollo. Is there much of a quality difference, or is a rim a rim?
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Can't really say without seeing yours tbh- this one's probably very similiar to the one that was nicked, same age of carrera and just one model apart. It's alright, but tbh part of the reason I'm offering it is that nobody's likely to buy it ;)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Has to be better than anything off an Apollo though.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Gamblor
    cooldad wrote:
    Has to be better than anything off an Apollo though.

That was my thought. PM sent Northwind
  • Security skewers while a bit of a faff can be a godsend against the opportunist thief.
    I'd still run the chain through the front wheel as well as the frame if leaving it for any time though. It looks as though your chain should easily be long enough.
    Statistically, Six Out Of Seven Dwarves Aren't Happy