FELT AR4

lawrences
lawrences Posts: 1,011
edited July 2018 in Your road bikes
feltb.jpg
Sorry for the non OCP photo haha.

Got the bike back in August and really loving it. Frame is stiff and fast on the flats the Ultegra groupset does the job more than satisfactorily. Only thing I'm looking to upgrade is the wheels. The RS30's are fine for training and such but I feel they are the weakest link when it comes to a race.

If anyone has some good suggestions for wheels for crits and some time trials with clip on bars please post.

Thanks for looking.

P.s I know there is a "suitcase on the saddle" But i hate the feeling of having bulked out jersey pockets.

Comments

• alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    If you don't want full pockets you can add another bottle cage and get one of the bottle cage storage thingys (or just use a normal water bottle with a bag inside so you can pull everything out easily.

Would look much better than a saddle bag -> although would be more of a pain if you want to take a cage off for crits.
  • lawrences
    Not a bad idea for short rides where I won't be drinking too much. It's got a second bottle cage on now so could do that no problem and I would be taking the saddle bag off for crits anyway.
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    That's rather nice! Some deep section carbon wheels would look really good on that!

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • noodleman
    noodleman Posts: 852
    Nice bike. Really pleased with mine too. I can highly recommend Reynolds assaults. Good price and lightweight too.
    You can search my posts to see a pic of my AR4 with them on to see wether you like them.
    argon 18 e116 2013 Vision Metron 80
    Bianchi Oltre XR Sram Red E-tap, Fulcrum racing speed xlr
    De Rosa SK pininfarina disc
    S Works Tarmac e-tap 2017
    Rose pro sl disc
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    Used to have an AR4 it was so stiff, great to wind up on long flat roads, but needs some 50mm carbons to make the most of its aero slipperiness
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • Cornish-J
    Cornish-J Posts: 978
    looks great, god knows when you took that picture...i havent seen sun down here for months!
  • lawrences
    The picture is from late October sometime. Was far too nice a day not too make the most of it.
  • lawrences
    imag0244hm.jpg

Just got some deep sections from the classifieds. Took this photo on the first test ride. The bike is so fast right now. Snapped up 4 KOM's which I think were all mine already but still very pleased.

Shall be race tested in a few TT's when exams are finished with.

If I get any photo's with a nicer background I'll put them up. I Was trying to get a shot looking out from the lizard toward Falmouth but I got lost.
  • declan1
    Looks much better apart from the aerobars! :D

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• lawrences
    I'm training for Time Trials and it's my only bike so not much I can do about that :P The carbon weave on the aerobars matches the frame if that helps haha.
  • declan1
    lawrences wrote:
    I'm training for Time Trials and it's my only bike so not much I can do about that :P The carbon weave on the aerobars matches the frame if that helps haha.

You can take them off when you're not TTing ;)

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• andytee87
    andytee87 Posts: 406
    Is the top photo Pendennis? Falmouth in the sun is pretty hard to beat
  • lawrences
    andytee87 wrote:

It is. That's a bloody good spot. Not many clues in that photo.
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    Stunning bike.
    Living MY dream.
  • andytee87
    andytee87 Posts: 406
    lawrences wrote:
    andytee87 wrote:

It is. That's a bloody good spot. Not many clues in that photo.

Went to uni in fal, so plenty of time spent around gylly and Pendennis. Bike looks fantastic by the way- maybe I'd remove the wheel vinyls but that's just personal aesthetics
  • fludey
    fludey Posts: 384
    Nice bike I want one :)
    If you decide to trade wheels in let me know I could do with some better wheels on my other felt :?
    Felt AR4
    Planet X Pro Carbon 105
    MTB Kona Kikapu Deluxe with a few upgrades!!
  • fludey
    Just noticed has yours got a compact on it?
    Felt AR4
    Planet X Pro Carbon 105
  • lawrences
    Thanks Vtech
    andytee87 wrote:
    Went to uni in fal, so plenty of time spent around gylly and Pendennis. Bike looks fantastic by the way- maybe I'd remove the wheel vinyls but that's just personal aesthetics

I'm at Uni here now :). I was thinking about the wheel decals, maybe swapping them for white ones. But I will probably leave them for a bit and see how I feel. Club kit is yellow so it's never going to look good in a race.
    fludey wrote:
    Just noticed has yours got a compact on it?

It's the stock 52/36 And I run 11-25's at the back.
  • fludey
    Mine has 53/39 but would have preferred 52/36 or lower...changed the rears have choice of 11-25 or 11-27...maybe I just need stronger legs :roll:
    Felt AR4
    Planet X Pro Carbon 105
  • lawrences
    I must say I do like the 52/36. I don't spin out of gears till 40mph+ and it stops me from being too much of a pussy on the hills. I don't think a 53/39 would work for me on the cornish hills.
  • fludey
    No there a struggle on local Leicester and Rutland hills, keep threatening it with a new compact...but not sure I want 50/34 on this....need the new Dura Ace to filter down to Ultegra which gives more option on inner ring.
    Felt AR4
    Planet X Pro Carbon 105
  • Gb_Rae
    Gb_Rae Posts: 42
    Love the new wheels, would love something along those line for my Ar4. :D
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    lawrences wrote:
    imag0244hm.jpg

Just got some deep sections from the classifieds. Took this photo on the first test ride. The bike is so fast right now. Snapped up 4 KOM's which I think were all mine already but still very pleased.

Shall be race tested in a few TT's when exams are finished with.

If I get any photo's with a nicer background I'll put them up. I Was trying to get a shot looking out from the lizard toward Falmouth but I got lost.

diggin it :D:):D
  • VTech
    Ive been using similar on mine for a few weeks now and love them although the wind does hit them when its gusty.

photovfl.jpg

I decided against the stickers but I do like the PX on your wheels !
    Living MY dream.
  • lawrences
    ^un-stickered wheels look great with the stealthy frame decals but i don't think they would work with my colours.

I know I could get some white "Felt" wheel stickers off ebay. Which I might have a play with at some point.

But for now these wheels have come off as I've done 3 rides on them and have got used to the handling. Ready for some races early June hopefully.
  • declan1
    VTech wrote:
    Ive been using similar on mine for a few weeks now and love them although the wind does hit them when its gusty.

photovfl.jpg

I decided against the stickers but I do like the PX on your wheels !

That looks SO much better without that sail in the middle!

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• lawrences
    This happened:
    DSC_0164_zps2659401d.jpg

Therefore this has now happened:
    photo1_zps88e39e2a.jpg

Felt AR1 2012 frame which I can't ride until next month due to being out the country due to work. Had to persuade my mum to take this photo.

Not 100% certain if I'll keep it or sell it yet. Tempted to break it all down sell as parts and start from scratch.

If I keep it I'll be getting some Fulcrum racing 3's for it.
  • Gb_Rae
    Gb_Rae Posts: 42
    lawrences wrote:
    This happened:
    DSC_0164_zps2659401d.jpg

Sorry (I may need some glasses) but what happened??
  • lawrences
    Power happened.

No, I'm not sure what caused it. But that driveside chainstay had cracked or was starting to come apart, I could flex it noticeably and it was creaking on rides.

Maybe that surface cracking (that you can almost see) is due to flex or is the crack itself I don't know and don't really care anymore.

Hope you're still enjoying your AR, can't wait to get on this one.
  • VTech
    Mine is still in perfect condition but thats maybe down to the fact I don't ride it all the time?
    If it has damaged, I'm sure felt will replace.
    Living MY dream.