Giant Defy 2013 changes aluminium grade

Quizacle
Quizacle Posts: 7
edited January 2013 in Road buying advice
Am considering the Defy 2 as a good first bike which has previous excellent reviews but note that in the new range all bikes other than the Defy 1 now have frames made of ALUXX aluminium as opposed to ALUXX SL. I assume this is a cost saving measure although may be to make the frames less stiff. I wonder if would affect the ride significantly. Any ideas?

Comments

• Interesting. Just looked at the Giant UK website which still appears to be showing the 2012 models and the ALUXX SL frame appears to be across the Defy 1-2-3 range. Looking at Giant USA which has the 2013 models it is as you say, ALUXX SL for Defy 1 and ALUXX for Defy 2 & 3. Not sure of the exact difference but may be worth trying to find a 2012 model as apart from the frames the rest of the specifications are pretty much the same.
    Link to Giant USA.
    http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bike-index/?collections_id=9&preview=true
    I'm not getting old... I'm just using lower gears......
    Sirius - Steel Reynolds 631
    Cove Handjob - Steel Columbus Nivacrom
    Trek Madone - Carbon
  • broona
    broona Posts: 414
    Differences here - http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/tec ... /aluxx/56/

Giant AluxX Aluminum

Regular "AluxX" is simply 6061 aluminum, but Giant applies a custom tube construction and heat treating process to the manufacture of their AluxX aluminum frames. The result is a butted, shaped and heat treated 6061 frame. Giant cites the weight reduction benefits of this process, but doesn't tout significant improvements to stiffness or strength. At the very least, the word "AluxX" implies a well made, butted and shaped 6061 aluminum frame.

Giant AluxX SL Aluminum

Unlike plain AluxX aluminum, AluxX SL starts with a 6061 alloy but mixes in a trace amount of copper to form a stiffer alloy. This premium alloy is then butted, shaped and heat treated much like AluxX tubes. Giant claims that the resulting alloy is 18% stiffer than pain AluxX aluminum and can be used to create "the lightest and stiffest aluminum frames current available".
  • Podbod
    Podbod Posts: 3
    Hi Quizacle,

I'm in the same position as you. Based on info from LBS I actually ordered the Defy 2 2013. We anticipated that the specs would remain the same. I was a bit surprised to see they shifted to using the ALUXX frames on the Defy 2-5. I was sold on reading the 2012 reviews describing how the ALUXX SL frame gives a nice balance between comfort and stiffness. Being new to road biking I wanted something I could sit on for a hundred miles without too much pain, yet would still handle well. TBH, I was putting more emphasis on comfort. Having subsequently spoken to the LBS they echo the previous posters and indicate the frame is less stiff. The LBS sold this as leading to more comfort. Perhaps someone with more experience could offer an opinion here? Are alu frames with more flex typically more comfortable? I have no experience at all, but assuming that frame flex typically comes at the expense of road handling and transmission of power to the wheels, that would mean the 2013 Defy 2 with ALUXX would show somewhat poorer road handling than the 2012 with the ALUXX SL. More enlightened opinions welcome.

Cheers
  • Hi,
    I received my Defy 2 2013 bike last week and it does have the ALUXX SL frame. Even though it states on the website that it has the ALUXX frame (not the SL version) and lists this as an upgrade for the Defy 1 over the 2. All I can think is this is a error on the website or change of plan....? Love the bike!
  • As a defy 3 2012 owner I would feel short changed buying the 2013 model for the same price. Unless of course there is a change (lower) price this year. I would hope so as the spec is the same as last years.

Personally I don't think I'd notice any difference if I didn't know about it.

Btw these are very good bikes. Bit like a ford focus. Everybody owns one or has done. Good value for money and does what it's supposed to and will appeal to all people with a variety of needs.
  • Don't suppose any of you know where I can find the stack and reach values for the Defy? Can find them anywhere
  • _kdk_ what country are you in. I'm in uk and rep from Giant didn't think the Defy 2 frame was SL. I hope he was wrong. I get mine 1st Oct. Thanks.
  • I'm UK too and got my bike from Rutland (giant) I think it came direct from the factory. I was disappointed as well reading the website, but was presently surprised when the bike arrived clearly stating ALUXX SL on the top of the frame.... Unless the graphics are wrong of course, I'm no frame expert!
  • _kdk_ The rep from Giant UK tried to explain the difference to me. He said that basically, the Defy 2, 3 and 5 have the ALUXX frame and the Defy 1 has ALUXX SL. The difference obviously being the grade of aluminium used but also the Defy 1 does not have holes to fit a bag holder (the holes appear on the part of the frame that goes from the seat post to the rear cassette - sorry, do not know technical terms). You can see the holes on the Defy 2 picture on the Giant USA website.

Does yours have the holes?

Quite frankly I'm not convinced the bloke knew what he was talking about. I queried what he was saying, pointing out that Defy 2 from 2012 was ALUXX SL but he said that the specs for the 2012 model were wrong.

Every Giant store I have rang have said it is definately ALUXX SL for the Defy 2 2013.
  • Thanks for the pic. I couldn't see the holes so that means that the Defy 2 frame is the same as the Defy 1 frame. The details on the US website must be wrong. Can't wait to get mine now!
  • All I can think is this is a error on the website or change of plan....?

Ah, I suspected this but I didn't want to get my hopes up. Thanks for the info. My bike just arrived in store so I will pick it up today. I live in France so my experience may differ. I certainly hope not. I'll post up the outcome later.
  • All a bit odd. Websites say ALUXX for Defy 2-5 2013 but on the frames, as far as I know, it appears to say ALUXX SL through the range. Both can't be right.
  • As commented above, I suspect the website is wrong and the frames are all ALUXX SL as they were previously. Only obvious difference is that the Defy 1 frame does not seem to have the fittings for a rack at the top so you have to get an additional seat post fitting.
  • Hey all. My LBS told me that they couldn't get my Defy 2 until 22 Oct so I rang around and found one in a Giant Store. Don't ask why I didn't try them before. Anyway, I found my size frame and collected it today. It is awesome. I love it! I was told at the store that Defy 2 has an aircraft aluminium frame. Defy 3, 4 and 5 are a lower grade. Defy 1 is a higher grade. Hope that helps! Just need to get the rest of my kit now!
  • my local giant dealer has 2 defy 3's in at the moment, black size large & red size small,

they both have same markings on frame saying sl but the dealer said was still lower grade than defy 1 which doesnt have rack mounts where as the lower models do

been quoted late december for defy 1 which im after in small, so bit of a wait i think if not in dealers

bit better though than february which is waiting time for scott speedster 20
  • I bought a Defy 2 in France and I can confirm it says ALUXX SL on the frame despite saying different on the website for this model. The bike is great. Much more comfortable than I imagined.
  • UK website now confirms ALUXX-SL throughout the Defy range so differences in spec come down to other components.
  • A pic of my Defy 4 2013. I have changed the wheels (I think it is the worst of the bike) now, bontrager race tlr wheels. Greetings

9F98BD7C-310D-4F7C-922F-15334BB333BF-641-000004948D78BF4A.jpg
  • is worth to buy Deffy 3 2013 over 2010 model

Im riding deffy 3 2010 (carbon fork) and I don't have any upgrades except chain,brake-pads and pedals.
    and considering to upgrade as my bike feeling little slow or needs some upgrades.

there are few 2013 models, secondhand but as new condition for much cheaper prises but still have to spend at least £150 on top my current.

What you guys think is it worth to get 2013 D3 or earn more cash and get D1 or some other better bike?