Cassette and chain replacement

Lagrange
Lagrange Posts: 652
edited January 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm going to ask the LBS to change my chain and cassette - HG 30 and HG 50 9speed were on the original - Orange P7 Pro. Chain rings are ok. I guess the bits will be about 25 quid. Any idea about labour? Will I need to change the jockey whels? Thanks.

Comments

• Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    Budget on nearer 40 or 50 quid for parts (last cassette I bought was 36 quid, but it was a 10 speed). CRC have HG50s for 16 quid, but the LBS is likely to be nearer RRP of 30. Shimano chains aren't the best - buy a KMC (no more expensive). The jokey wheels should be fine - they aren't subject to same kind of abuse as the chain and cassette

With the right tools it can all be done readily at home by the keen amatuer. I can do cassette and chain replacement in about 20 mins. How much the LBS will change for this, I honestly couldn't say.
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Get the bits and the tools online and DIY - it's very easy, useful tools to have, and you'll save a fortune. Try Rose Bikes or ActionSports as well as the usual UK shops - they're often much cheaper.
  • How are your chain rings? I thought mine were OK, put a new chain & block on and the middle & inner rings sucked up the chain like mad. Hey presto - another £60-odd quid on new rings. Race Face Evolve middle ring cost a whopping £40!

Only wanted a new chain - cost me over £100 in the end!

BTM
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    1) £40 for a middle ring is really not 'whopping', cheaper than most!
    2) you can use any 104mm BCD ring if cost's an issue.
  • I know this isnt helpful but changing your own cassette and chain should be part of your "basic" bike maintenance skill set.
  • Lagrange
    Lagrange Posts: 652
    Thanks for the helpful advice - I've taken away that I'll be charged RRP for the bits, use a KMC chain and I should do it myself!! Which I will.

Thanks again - seasons and good NY to all.
  • Njee20 - I'll bear that in mind for next time, but would it definitely fit? LBS looked into a cheaper Shimano option for me, but it wouldn't quite fit the Raceface spider.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    So file it lke most of us have done as some point or other.

£40 may not be much to njee, but it is to me (whole bike only stands me £650 - see link in sig for spec).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.