best tyres for commuting

k3vinjam3s
k3vinjam3s Posts: 266
edited January 2013 in Commuting general
Just bought a second hand hybrid with 700x38c tyres. They seem to be pants and I've got a puncture already after less than a few days commuting. I use gatorskins hardshells on my road bike and have never had a problem, which are recommended here, not bothered about brand but want to get both for no more than £40.

Comments

• I've been using Bontrager Race Lite hardcase (700x28) on the commuter for the past few years with very few punctures. I know the gatorskins have good reviews, but you can get the Bontrager tyres for £13.99 each online (700x32) which makes them an absolute steal.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    The std hybrid commuting tyre is probably Schwalbe Marathon (not the Plus one).
    38mm would be suitable for rough tracks and trails, 32 is a good all rounder for occasional tracks and trails.
    28mm is a designation which varies hugely in actual size. Racing tyres up-sized to 28mm are much thinner than commuter tyres downsized 28mm. I happen to like 28mm for general road riding but some hybrid rims are too wide to happily fit the thinner versions.
  • oxoman wrote:
    Personally i would spend a little bit more and get some Gatorskins 700x28. currently running these on my road bike for winter as roads around me pretty crap. You could also try Conti Gp4000 in 28's as well.

+1 for the Gatorskins - although you can't go wrong with Conti's generally
  • vittoria pro semi slick for me
    1500 miles this year mostly country roads....... 1 puncture
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    MichaelW wrote:
    28mm is a designation which varies hugely in actual size. .

Same for 32s- I just replaced a pair of Specialized Borough Armadillos with Marathons and the difference is huge- the Boroughs are waaaay wider than the Marathons.
  • richk
    richk Posts: 564
    my own preference is for marathons. you should be able to find these for less than £40 a pair (eg try high on bikes for starters).
    There is no secret ingredient...
  • RichK wrote:
    my own preference is for marathons. you should be able to find these for less than £40 a pair (eg try high on bikes for starters).
    Bargain Marathons at SJS at the moment- £11.99 each! (35mm out of stock, just 40mm and 45mm left)
    http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/schwalbe-mar ... e-700-(622)-pre-2011-prod12771/
  • Clarion
    Clarion Posts: 223
    Hamsterskins are rubbish. I kept a record for a year of all the punctures I saw on the commute (and I always stop to check the victim has a spare tube/pump etc). That's 40km up and down Cycle Superhighway 7, so there was a large sample. Continental tyres waaaaay out in front for failure (including Hamsterskins).

I ride Marathon Plus, and never have to worry about punctures. They're a bit heavier than other tyres, but I've got to give the other guys on the commute a sporting chance :wink:

Last summer, I rode Durano Plus, which were good, but the softer rubber meant that flints and glass worked their way in, so I should have checked them more often than I usually do. I went back to the M+
    Riding on 531
  • flybywire
    flybywire Posts: 575
    have a pair of these which roll very fast and no punctures last 4weeks since new

fitted to the 29er (700c) in 40c flavour which is 1.5 section.. best tyres for commute yet imo

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/TYSCMRCRF/s ... lding_tyre

lightweight,durable and reflective sidewalls
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    I always went with Marathon Plusses for commuting or any time where I really do not want to get a flat. Reliability is the key here. Who wants to come in late, or late and with grubby hands. These will get you in, year in, year out with no fuss or bother.
  • Foyzy
    Foyzy Posts: 38
    Best commuting tyres I've come across are the Specialized All Condition Armadillos. I've ridden 1,500 miles through Central London on my pair without any issues and they have barely worn at all. I started out with the Schwalbe Marathon Pluses having read the good reviewsm however they were SO heavy and took any enjoyment out of riding the bike. The Armadillos are significantly lighter, yet still offer reliability. I ride a Cannondale Bad Boy hybrid with 700X28 tyres.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Some thoughts on this topic from my experience.

Bontrager Hardcases - these are a very slow tyre. Both me and a colleague MEASURED a 1mph reduction in average speed using them. I also got several flats in a short space of time.

Conti Gatorskins - better than the Hardcases for speed and puncture protection

GP4000 - fast tyre but very poor on the commuting puncture protection stakes

Vittoria Rubino Pro - my current preference. As quick as the GP4000 and excellent puncture protection (3800 puncture-free miles this year). Cheap compared to most too (£17 each for the folding tyre)
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH