Creakings, clickings, tickings, clankings and knockings.

Comments

• chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 358
    Joys of frames! a creak anywhere will transmit all through the frame making any creak sound like it is coming from pretty much anywhere!

Cars do the same :roll:
    FCN 7

FCN 4

if you use irrational measures to measure me, expect me to behave irrationally to measure up
  • islwyn
    islwyn Posts: 650
    binsted wrote:
    whipped out and greased the seat post!!!, creaking now gone

Hmm! Possibly I need to do this to remove my creak.

When sat on the saddle and hands on the handle bars, if I push forward there's a creak. I thought it was coming from my headset but after dismantling and reassembling creak still remains, maybe seat post?
  • mikenetic
    mikenetic Posts: 486
    Will Nunez wrote:
    Went for a ride yesterday and all I can do is describe the noise as a squeal.

First thought was brakes, but when squealing i feel no drag on wheels. Loosened each brake and squealing still occured randomly, but only down hill.

Thought it was triggered by brakes but think this is coincidence (ie i use brakes when going downhill and it only happens down hill)

Fellow rider felt the noise was coming from BB but squealing is there when crank static.

I cant locate noise ie wether its front or rear. But did notice that back pedalling did trigger it on one occassion. Am wondering if its rear wheel bearing related or freewheel related. It is totally random and once i stop and start again it has gone.

Any ideas? Wheels are Aksium and have 5000 miles with all original parts, same with Chainset all at 5000 miles

I realise this is an old post, but this sounds like the notorious Mavic Death Wail. My mate's Aksiums suffered from it.

There's a plastic/nylon washer in the freehub that gets dry and starts emitting a horrendous noise when you freewheel. His only did it over a certain rotational speed on the wheel v freehub, so it only happened when tanking it downhill while freewheeling. It's a simple lubrication job to sort it out, normally.
  • I have just got into work this morning and notice that I have a loose screw jumping around within the front part of my bike, I believe its in the front forks or around that area. Anyone have any idea what and where it could have come from? The brakes work fine and there is nothing loose there as I have checked. Dont really want the front forks or handlebars to come away.
  • EY up ppl - first time user! I ride a Forme Vitesse, Shimano 105 drivetrain, with carbon forks. Its been a great bike for the commute to work - however, over the last two days I have noticed some "sticking" when I go to turn the forks - almost as if it has "locked" (pretty scarey when you go to make a turn but cant!). We have had a lot of rain recently (as I am sure you are all aware!) but am unsure as to whether this is down to lubrication - its happened "all of a sudden" and isnt accompanied by any gritty, scraping sounds/feelings. Anybody help? Advise?
  • wooller
    wooller Posts: 2
    EY up ppl - first time user! I ride a Forme Vitesse, Shimano 105 drivetrain, with carbon forks. Its been a great bike for the commute to work - however, over the last two days I have noticed some "sticking" when I go to turn the forks - almost as if it has "locked" (pretty scarey when you go to make a turn but cant!). We have had a lot of rain recently (as I am sure you are all aware!) but am unsure as to whether this is down to lubrication - its happened "all of a sudden" and isnt accompanied by any gritty, scraping sounds/feelings. Anybody help? Advise?

Could be that the headset is too tight, lift the front wheel off the floor and move the handle bars side to side, if it is stiff then slightly loosen the top bolt on the headset and try again, keep repeating till it feels looser. If nothing is happening and its staying the same tighten the bolt back up as it could be that a bearing in the race has cracked or could just need to regrease your headset. If your not too sure on how to carry out the procedures yourself take it to your local bike shop.
  • wooller
    wooller Posts: 2
    I have just got into work this morning and notice that I have a loose screw jumping around within the front part of my bike, I believe its in the front forks or around that area. Anyone have any idea what and where it could have come from? The brakes work fine and there is nothing loose there as I have checked. Dont really want the front forks or handlebars to come away.

Check the Stem on the bike there should be two allen key bolts either side and a single allen key bolt on the top, if that's all in check then don't worry your handle bars are not coming off nor forks dropping out. You could check the mounting bolt on the front brake but im pretty sure you would have noticed that. Might be an idea to check the 4 bolts that hold the actual bars in place aside from that i cant think of any other bolts in that area unless u have an accessorie.
  • B.M.R.
    B.M.R. Posts: 72
    I had annoying squeaky tick that was happening everytime my back wheel went round, but only when I was sitting on the bike. It happened whether I was freewheeling or pedalling, so I guessed it wasn't gear related. There was nothing physically in the way which was causing a contact noise.
    Going on the link to the noise website on page 1 of this thread offered a explanation and a solution. I used lubricating spray at the point at which the rear wheel spokes join the rim (spoke nipples? The bits you can adjust to tighten or loosen the spokes), went round the whole wheel lubing each one, and no more noise from the back wheel. Apparently its a yearly maintenance thing to lube the spokes like this, I'd never done it in 3 years of owning my bike - but it had only started making the noise last month.
  • jus71n
    jus71n Posts: 138
    Had some problems with my new Felt AR3, creaking on crankl rotation, could of sworn it was the BB, finally sorted it after....

Checking & adjusting di2 gears (not alligned), greasing cleats, removing & pasting seat pillar/clamp, striping & pasting stem/handle bars, oiling brakes, oiling spokes, and finalling striping down the seat base assembly & pasting every surface on putting back together. To finish off torqued all bolts to manufacture spec.

To be honest I expected better from the bike shop that supplied it, all that should of been sorted on build!

Just one question tho, over bumps still getting a noise from the forks/headset/stem area, this normal for a carbon bike? If not is there a cure?
    S-Works Tarmac Disc Di2 2017 :shock:

Felt AR3 Di2 :) (6870 11spd upgrade) 2012 - Now gone.

Cannondale Synapse Carbon Disc Ultegra 2016
  • AllezGaz
    AllezGaz Posts: 93
    Islwyn wrote:
    binsted wrote:
    whipped out and greased the seat post!!!, creaking now gone

Hmm! Possibly I need to do this to remove my creak.

When sat on the saddle and hands on the handle bars, if I push forward there's a creak. I thought it was coming from my headset but after dismantling and reassembling creak still remains, maybe seat post?

I got exactly the same prob. Frustrating!
  • Soong
    Soong Posts: 21
    I'm getting a creaking sound when turning the handlebar. It's coming from where the frame meets the fork. Alu frame, carbon fork.

It's only a week old as well! Only just started doing it. Any ideas?
  • Hello, long time watcher of the forum here but only just joined today in the hope of getting some good advice.

I've done some google searching on my problem but nothing seems to correlate.

When I hit the front brake lightly, I get an annoying rhythmic knocking noise, and the sound seems to diminish as I pull the brake harder. It must be something to do with the front end, as there is no sound when using the rear brake.

Research has told me it could be the quick release not tight enough, which I have already ruled out.
    People have also said it could be the fork to stem bolt being undertightened, however I tested this by applying the front brake when stationary and pushing the bike forward; no wobble and no noise.

As far as I can see, the front wheel is true and free from bumps.

So I'm running out of ideas. The knocking isn't detrimental to my braking, it's just damn annoying!

Any help from someone more knowledgable than me would be extremely appreciated please.

Thanks
    C
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    cgraley77 wrote:
    Hello, long time watcher of the forum here but only just joined today in the hope of getting some good advice.

I've done some google searching on my problem but nothing seems to correlate.

When I hit the front brake lightly, I get an annoying rhythmic knocking noise, and the sound seems to diminish as I pull the brake harder. It must be something to do with the front end, as there is no sound when using the rear brake.

Research has told me it could be the quick release not tight enough, which I have already ruled out.
    People have also said it could be the fork to stem bolt being undertightened, however I tested this by applying the front brake when stationary and pushing the bike forward; no wobble and no noise.

As far as I can see, the front wheel is true and free from bumps.

So I'm running out of ideas. The knocking isn't detrimental to my braking, it's just damn annoying!

Any help from someone more knowledgable than me would be extremely appreciated please.

Thanks
    C

The brake blocks work better if "toed in", that is, the front of the brake block connects with the rim marginally before the the rest of the brake block. In other words the rim and brake block are not exactly parallel. This prevents brake squeal and vibration.

If not that check that the headset is tight. Stand beside the bike and holding the handlebars lock the front bake. Now push and pull the bike in a forward/backward motion. Can you feel or hear play between the handlebars and the stem. If there is, the headset needs tightening.
  • The brake blocks work better if "toed in", that is, the front of the brake block connects with the rim marginally before the the rest of the brake block. In other words the rim and brake block are not exactly parallel. This prevents brake squeal and vibration.

If not that check that the headset is tight. Stand beside the bike and holding the handlebars lock the front bake. Now push and pull the bike in a forward/backward motion. Can you feel or hear play between the handlebars and the stem. If there is, the headset needs tightening.

Cheers Navrig, I'll check that out tonight when I get home and report back any findings.
  • hi all,

After 13 months of trouble free riding, a metallic knocking noise has suddenly appeared from my rear mavic ksyrium and i've noticed that the axel has a lot of play in it. Cones are tight but is seems as if my axel has been swapped for one that is 1mm slimmer. My local LBS suggested that i gunk it in crease to see if that helps before i take it in to them.

The wheel itself spins freely on the axel and i cannot feel/hear any other noises.

Any hints would be welcome!

Thanks
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    MTB been creaking annoyingly for the last 6 months. Traced it to the set of road wheels fitted - when i swapped the off-road wheels/tyres it ran sweet and silent. I tightened a few spokes and oiled where the spokes cross over each other. Now its silent and smooth.
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    I have Boardman Team (non carbon), and a click when pedaling from (I think) the bottom bracket. Which BB and crank tool do I need to dis-assemble and clean up? Sram rival groupset.

This one?

park%20bbt9%20new.jpg?w=350&h=350&a=7
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • meursault wrote:
    I have Boardman Team (non carbon), and a click when pedaling from (I think) the bottom bracket. Which BB and crank tool do I need to dis-assemble and clean up? Sram rival groupset.
    I had a similar issue, thought it was the bottom bracket - but all that was needed was actually just to grease the pedal threads. Problem solved - for a lot less hassle than removing and re-installing the bottom bracket.
  • meursault
    jerichokb wrote:
    meursault wrote:
    I had a similar issue, thought it was the bottom bracket - but all that was needed was actually just to grease the pedal threads. Problem solved - for a lot less hassle than removing and re-installing the bottom bracket.

Nice one, I will give this a go, could well be the issue. If not it's something eliminated from my enquires :)

Voltaire
  • Further up the thread someone had the same problem, grease the seatpost as well
  • meursault
    meursault wrote:
    jerichokb wrote:
    meursault wrote:

Nice one, I will give this a go, could well be the issue. If not it's something eliminated from my enquires :)

Did a 50k ride last Thursday and commutes last two days click gone!

I removed my Shimano r540's thorough clean and applied some wet lube (had no grease). Appears to have solved it for now. Note taken on seatpost as well thanks for all help.

Voltaire
  • When I am on the big chainring my bike is making a loud creaking sound everytime I pedal, it seems to be when I am pushing down on the right pedal. The noise sounds as if it is coming from the bottom bracket area. I am a beginner and have no idea what this could be.

Does anyone have any ideas/any experience of anything similar to this?

Thanks
  • meursault
    jjtstamper wrote:
    When I am on the big chainring my bike is making a loud creaking sound everytime I pedal, it seems to be when I am pushing down on the right pedal. The noise sounds as if it is coming from the bottom bracket area. I am a beginner and have no idea what this could be.

Does anyone have any ideas/any experience of anything similar to this?

Thanks

I would definetly do the same as I did with the pedals above. Clean and lube.

It's a process of elimantion.

Voltaire
  • Bunneh
    Bunneh Posts: 1,329
    I suspect my bottom bracket is on its way out. I ride a lot from Bolton to Crewe and last few times the left side of my cranks were creaking terribly. I took the pedals off, the seatpost out, checked the tightness of the cranks, regreased the bolts that fasten the left arm to the chainset (Hollowtech). I regreased everything and it didn't go, it still creaks. So whilst the bike was upside down I moved the cranks left and right to the frame, no movement. Then I moved the left crank arm in the direction it would go if I was pedalling, very slight 'movement' almost a grating feeling before the cranks started to move the backwheel. I tried this on both side, same thing so I am sure it's the bottom bracket.

Before I order a new one does anyone have any suggestions? Thank yee.
  • rnath
    rnath Posts: 176
    willhub wrote:
    I got the clicking sorted on friday, guy at the shop took the handlebars off and cleaned around the headset, it stopped the clicking, THEN yesterday on a clubrun it started again, was so annoying, the other guys said they could hear it, sounded like my bike was going to fall apart, was really bad now doing it whilst I was sitting down too and my gears need re aligning too as they are making a racket, the bent from mech dont help too :(

Had a click from my front end after dismantling to clean and regrease which I couldn't figure out for weeks. Rebuilt everything several times before finally sorting out by tightening carbon steerer bung and adding spacer above stem. Not sure which did the job, but could be worth trying?
  • I bought a Cannondale Synapse 105 Alloy 5 in the summer, and after 80 miles or so on it my pedal was screwed up inside the Gossamer FSA drive side crank.

So went to Evans Cycles and ordered a new crankset, this time their Shimano 105, which they fitted, along with a BB30 Shimano adapter bought off the net for about £25, and a new set of pedals (standard flat ones).

Went for my first ride, about 6 miles in got some creaking noises from when I pedalled drive side.

So took into Evans, few days later got a call to pick up, rode about 2 miles and creaks started again.

Took back, picked up a second time, got home no creak! Went for a ride day later and about 5 miles in creaks came back.

Back to Evans who rang yesterday for pick up, and within 2 miles of leaving, got creaking.

Now the guy on the phone from Evans saying they havent got a clue what is causing the creak, and not a lot they can do about it?!!?

So I have a bike which is meant to be decent, which creaks and groans like my gran and I have absolutely no idea what to do about it.

Only creaks when I pedal, doesn't when I lift bike and spin crank. Seems to happen on drive side rather than other side.

Any advice?

EDIT: Did a youtube video of it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhQmrwu12VA
  • Does anybody get creaking occasionally from the shimano hollow tec 2 BB?? it tends to come and go depending on how it feels...
  • nolight
    nolight Posts: 261
    Hi, recently I start to get some clicking sound which gets worse when I use my front brake. Anyone has experience what would be the cause?

When bicycle is moving forward, the clicking sound is not as significant, and sometimes may not even hear it:
    click.....delay....click.....delay.....click

When squeezing the front brake especially from high speed, it becomes louder and is more significant when braking from higher speed:
    click,click,click,click,click

I tried braking with rear brake and don't get this sound. Also comparing wheel tru seems like front and rear wheel are comparable.

Could it be the front wheel hub? brake itself?
  • If you have disc brakes, could be knackered pads and the spring clip knocking on the disc. At least, that was what it was for me...
  • dereko
    dereko Posts: 55
    I had a creak kind of click any time the left crank got to roughly the 7 o'clock position
    Drove me crackers and I couldn't find any info on what it could actually be
    The usual "bottom bracket, bearing, chain" suggestions were there
    It turned out however to be a loose rear derailleur hanger and a bit of alloy surface corrosion on the spd pedal flange where it makes contact with the crank arm
    A quick clean and tighten and it's back to silent running !! :lol:
    Hope this helps someone !