Converting to Double and Bash

williamcope1990
williamcope1990 Posts: 22
edited January 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,
I bought a new Commencal Meta 55 about 6 months ago, brilliant bike and thoroughly enjoy it, however after a few months at the local trials I have finally decided that i dont need/want the big ring and I'm sick of the chain falling off and also having the straighten bent teeth. Chances are i will be taking the bike to have the work done when it goes for a service so wondered what parts would you need to replace in order to make the conversion. (obviously a bash guard but other than that)

Thanks

Comments

• 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Black spire stinger or other suitable chain device, potentially a new middle ring as well.

You can replace your front D or just adjust the limit screw to prevent you over shifting.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Just a bash guard. I run double without a chain device like a Stinger and don't have any issues.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Stinger chain tensioner.
  • Cheers
  • oxocube1
    oxocube1 Posts: 651
    You will probably want a bigger middle ring as I expect your current one is a 32 with a 22 inner? If so you may want to gor for a 34/36/38 instead of the 32 to give you some higher gears. I did exactly the same thing with my triple chainset. Just got a bash guard, removed the outer 42 ring and replaced the middle 32 with a 36 ring. You will also need some longer chainring bolts to go through your bash. I got some 16mm ones with mine. And yea just like the other guys are saying a Stinger works really well and stops any chain slap. My chain is yet to come off on my double setup and i've been riding it for 5 months now. Here's a pic of my setup:

IMG_1150.jpg
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Most metal bash's use standard chainring bolts, it's only the plastic style ones that need longer ones.

You don't NEED a stinger any more than you need one now, and it's a guide not a tensioner anyway.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    and it's a guide not a tensioner anyway.
    It is a tensioner.
    Dual-Ring Chain tensioners

The most affordable Dual-Ring chain tensioner in the world!
  • The Rookie
    No, it adds no tension, the rear mech does that, it IS a guide (just think about it form goodness sake!) BS can spout BS, doesn't change the fact!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    The important thing is that they work very well.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • The Rookie
    No argument, they do what they are meant to do......
  • Thanks for posting, i ended up adding a bash guard but kept the middle ring size, it wasnt worn out and thought I may aswell try it for a while before changing it, the guys at Sherwood Pines cycles made the swap while it was in for a service! Big rings are a good idea but when you add them to a mix of stones, mud, tree branches and bare legs they end up an annoyance!!
    :roll: