How to fit Front V Brakes?

jamz74
jamz74 Posts: 7
edited January 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I just bought a new MuddyFox Impel MTB a few days ago and im having trouble fitting on the front brakes. One brake pad is closer than the other, so one is always touching the rim. Ive tried loosening and tightening the tension screws but i dont see no difference. I have these promax brakes, below is a link to a picture:

http://bit.ly/X4leh2

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Remove arms from posts, clean thoroughly and grease, make sure when you refit them the return springs are in the same hole (if you still can't get it right later then try one hole tighter on the non returning side), make sure the cable runs freely as well....

Turn the screw IN on the side rubbing and OUT on the side that's returning OK.

A little rub is almost inevitable, you never get them quite perfect...
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • jamz74
    Thank you so much for your help ! It worked :)
  • jamz74
    Although i managed to fix the brakes, i am facing another problem. When i release the brakes it doesn't spring back to its position. My rear brake springs back with no problem, just my front one doesn't. How can i fix this? And approximately how much will my local bike shop charge me to fix this?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Grease the bosses. If that doesn't work bend the springs out a bit to get a little more tension.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If neither springs back, look at the cable and/or lever....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.