Hill climbing ratios

2»

Comments

• boogi11
    boogi11 Posts: 354
    So to be clear, all thin people are fit and all fat people are unfit.....
  • joe.90
    joe.90 Posts: 171
    joe.90 wrote:
    joe.90 wrote:
    boogi11 wrote:
    Listen..... I'm deffo over weight, and it will be a big push, I'm currently 15st . Jan the 2nd will be a big push to shed weight, that said, I am very fit, I have a good recovery rate etc......I think getting to 13st will be a push.

On the rear cassettes if I do decide to change do I have to adjust Anyang or should it just swap straight over

Height wise I'm 6ft

I'm not being horrible, but how can you be overweight and very fit? The two don't go together :?

I was the same before I got completely skinny. I could "hang with the big boys" even though I was still overweight. It just has to do with the training being in good form but still having some pounds to shed.

Surely it has more to do with the amount of food you put in your mouth?

You are quite a rude one. I spent 2 years losing 40kg, at the end of the first year I was 30kg down and in very good form, did very well out riding in the alps, but still had a belly. How has that got anything to do with putting food in my mouth saying I still had some to lose?

Well, if you never eat so much in the first place you wouldn't have a belly to lose!

I'm not trying to come across rude, but its not rocket science: if you eat healthy and train lots then you won't be overweight.

You may be relatively fit yes, but there is no way you you are 'very fit' as you put it, for climbing.

As rude as you may think I sound I'm just trying to put it to you, no bullsh1t
  • joe.90
    boogi11 wrote:
    So to be clear, all thin people are fit and all fat people are unfit.....

Not at all, we know it doest work like that, but. how often do you see a fat athlete?
  • boogi11
    Unbelievable...... I've picked a sport full of tosserd
  • joe.90
    boogi11 wrote:

Please explain to me what you find so offensive about that?
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Seriously, you don't know why he's offended? I have Aspergers and even I know why he's offended.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    boogi11 wrote:

Eh?

But yeh, if its your sport then you really shouldnt be fat.

However, if its only a hobby, be as fat as you want (like me!)
  • joe.90
    unixnerd wrote:
    Seriously, you don't know why he's offended? I have Aspergers and even I know why he's offended.

Unless there is a underlying medical condition that affects his weight...then I have no idea.

If there is a condition, then I genuinely am sorry.
  • Explains why I'm shit at hills then being 6ft2" and 16St :cry:

My own fault for being such a fat gluttonous twunt and choosing the wrong hobby :oops:

112 miles and 12,000ft is a good ride, and if you don't ride hills regularly, then you will find this challenging. I did the 'Ride with Brad' this year and that was 102 miles and 10500ft, on an 34-28 which was hard, but ok. If I'd had another 10 miles and 1500ft I would have really struggled at the time :|

I would recommend a 34-28 as a minimum and try and plan some hill rides during next year.
  • boogi11
    Cheers essjaydee , few sensible people on here

I'm not offended, but I keep telling people that cyclists are not elitists are are decent folk, and then I meet people like you. I'm 15 stone, I can bike 120 miles on the flat in 7 hours, I flew past loads of fit thin people.
    Look it's obvious that being thin is the ideal situation, but I have a job where I leave at 6am get home at 7pm. On the weekend I can get one good ride in, other than that I'm on rollers.
    We're you in Bourne this morning, I said good morning? I said morning To a rider their who thought he was better than everybody else......was it you
  • joe.90 wrote:
    joe.90 wrote:
    joe.90 wrote:
    boogi11 wrote:
    Listen..... I'm deffo over weight, and it will be a big push, I'm currently 15st . Jan the 2nd will be a big push to shed weight, that said, I am very fit, I have a good recovery rate etc......I think getting to 13st will be a push.

On the rear cassettes if I do decide to change do I have to adjust Anyang or should it just swap straight over

Height wise I'm 6ft

I'm not being horrible, but how can you be overweight and very fit? The two don't go together :?

I was the same before I got completely skinny. I could "hang with the big boys" even though I was still overweight. It just has to do with the training being in good form but still having some pounds to shed.

You are quite a rude one. I spent 2 years losing 40kg, at the end of the first year I was 30kg down and in very good form, did very well out riding in the alps, but still had a belly. How has that got anything to do with putting food in my mouth saying I still had some to lose?

Well, if you never eat so much in the first place you wouldn't have a belly to lose!

I'm not trying to come across rude, but its not rocket science: if you eat healthy and train lots then you won't be overweight.

You may be relatively fit yes, but there is no way you you are 'very fit' as you put it, for climbing.

In my case it is because I take medication for a few things which cause my metabolism to move at snails pace.

You should really not be so judgemental, things happen, and yes it isn't healthy, but at least people are doing something about it. I guess you are one of those people who have a crackheads metabolism and has never gained a bit of weight in your life. You should widen up a bit.

I had some extra weight, but fitness comes from training, not just being skinny. Spend enough time on a bike and even overweight people get fit. I guess that is a completely oblivious fact for you? I was very fit from riding about 30 hours a week for over a year, is that such a bad thing?
  • boogi11 wrote:

I'm not offended, but I keep telling people that cyclists are not elitists are are decent folk, and then I meet people like you. I'm 15 stone, I can bike 120 miles on the flat in 7 hours, I flew past loads of fit thin people.
    Look it's obvious that being thin is the ideal situation, but I have a job where I leave at 6am get home at 7pm. On the weekend I can get one good ride in, other than that I'm on rollers.
    We're you in Bourne this morning, I said good morning? I said morning To a rider their who thought he was better than everybody else......was it you

Bourne, Cambridgehsire?
  • boogi11
    Well yes, but its lincolnshire near spalding
  • joe.90
    edited December 2012
    boogi11 wrote:

Yeah that was me, I wouldn't wave to a fatty like you. ( a joke, humour etc )

Forget about cycling. are you seriously trying to tell me there is no way you can possibly be lighter? I was once overweight and losing it was the hardest thing I've ever done, purely because I love food and could eat everything. But I calorie counted every bloody day for months, and got down to a weight suitable for being the best I can be. I too have an office job...

You might of flew past thin people on the flat, but would you be overtaking people of the same fitness level as you, but lighter, up a hill?

You clearly are insulted, as you replied with all these ridiculous accusations of me being an elitist cyclist...when truth be told it has nothing to do with cycling.
  • joe.90
    joe.90 wrote:
    joe.90 wrote:
    joe.90 wrote:
    boogi11 wrote:

Height wise I'm 6ft

In my case it is because I take medication for a few things which cause my metabolism to move at snails pace.

You should really not be so judgemental, things happen, and yes it isn't healthy, but at least people are doing something about it. I guess you are one of those people who have a crackheads metabolism and has never gained a bit of weight in your life. You should widen up a bit.

I had some extra weight, but fitness comes from training, not just being skinny. Spend enough time on a bike and even overweight people get fit. I guess that is a completely oblivious fact for you? I was very fit from riding about 30 hours a week for over a year, is that such a bad thing?

See my previous posts.

Haven't got a crackheads metabolism & already commented on medication etc.
  • styxd
    boogi11 wrote:
    I'm 15 stone, I can bike 120 miles on the flat in 7 hours, I flew past loads of fit thin people.

They must have been unfit thin people. Thats a pretty slow average for a flat ride.
  • boogi11
    Sorry 4400 ft of climbing.
  • styxd
    boogi11 wrote:
    Sorry 4400 ft of climbing.

Well I guess you're never going to get pan flat in the UK...
  • gezebo
    gezebo Posts: 364
    Interesting read for a simple question!

Anyway... I swapped to a 28 on rear from a 25 and have a compact chainset. I think you'd be fine with this. I cycle to work with panniers (of varying weight depending on work) and it includes cat 2 and 3 climbs and confortably get up these hills- the cat 2 is 1st gear in my van if I don't get a run up. Oh I'm 95kg so no light weight either.

What's the worst type of thin person?
    The one that used to be fat cos they love telling everyone why they should be thin!

Good luck with your sportive :-)
  • boogi11
    Cheers gezebo, a 28 cassette is only 30 quid, as if I reach the magical weight the I might have my new bike.

Either that or I'll sell the bike and go back to eating lard
  • styxd wrote:
    boogi11 wrote:
    I'm 15 stone, I can bike 120 miles on the flat in 7 hours, I flew past loads of fit thin people.

They must have been unfit thin people. Thats a pretty slow average for a flat ride.
    They were probably out on a recovery or zone 2 training ride. :D
    CV fitness is greater that weight advantage.
    I'm a reasonably fit lightweight with an ftp over of 3.5w/kg and I've been mullered by plenty of relative 'fatties' up the local climbs.
  • Raffles
    Raffles Posts: 1,137
    Cant believe nobody has applauded the OP for the obvious enthusiasm he has for cycling, well I applaud you mate and you just keep working towards that willier , regarding the bull*hitters just let em spout hot air and dont rise to it. I hope 2013 is a corking year for you :D
    2012 Cannondale CAAD 8 105
  • boogi11
    raffles, spot on and cheers mate, you make sure you have a good new year.

i will get that wilier, and i will do that sportive, cheers for being a good bloke and offering some support
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,602
    styxd wrote:
    boogi11 wrote:

Over 17mph average speed for 120 miles "quite slow"? OK, there'll be people faster but that certainly isn't slow or even quite slow.
  • Raffles
    Raffles Posts: 1,137
    Pross wrote:
    styxd wrote:
    boogi11 wrote:

Over 17mph average speed for 120 miles "quite slow"? OK, there'll be people faster but that certainly isn't slow or even quite slow.

Pross did you not know that EVERYONE who posts here has a 26 mph average speed ?
    2012 Cannondale CAAD 8 105
  • Raffles wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    styxd wrote:
    boogi11 wrote:

Pross did you not know that EVERYONE who posts here has a 26 mph average speed ?

While alone, into a headwind, while in the alps climbing a mountain. Some people here really think they are gods gift to earth.