Endura Windchill / Convert softshell Jacket anyone got one ?

Schellpel
Schellpel Posts: 119
edited January 2013 in MTB buying advice
I am looking at getting myself a windproof and shower resistant jacket as I am fed up with alternately boiling and freezing in my waterproof.

I am looking at either the Endura Winchill

GetImage.aspx?file_id=2841&im=5
http://www.endura.co.uk/Product.aspx?dept_id=123&prod_id=581

Or the Endura Convert Softshell

GetImage.aspx?file_id=2172&im=5
http://www.endura.co.uk/Product.aspx?dept_id=123&prod_id=477

Does anyone here use either of these and can attest to their shower resistance ? there is quite a price difference between them is the convert worth the extra money ?

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    I have a windchill, and its great. never boils me but its pretty warm. Be aware though that only the front is really showerproof, most of the back and undersides of the sleeves are a much softer, less waterproof material. Works ok for light rain, infact works ok for most conditions you actually want to be out in. Its no substitute for a proper waterproof on the wet days though. Its also a fairly roadie cut, so quite snug. Im 5'10, 12 stone, and not a lard-ass by any stretch of the imagination (although could probably be _slightly_ thinner ;) , and the Large on me is not that big. The medium was way too small.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Yes I found that with the fit on endura tops, I have an MT500 Jersey and that is XL where in anything else I am L. Tried on a L windchill yesterday and that was a little tight round the waste an XL convert was much more comfortable.
  • I've got a Windchill jacket and its great for keeping you warm on cold dry days below 10°C but wouldn't want to get caught in the rain with it though, as the back panels would just let water soak through. Good job but I'm a fair weather rider :D

XL fits round my beer gut ok too :shock:
  • I am leaning towards the Convert, as it would give me just that little bit more protection on iffy days. I am not planning using these tops in deluge just those freezing cold dry days with some base layers or days when showers and drizzle threatens.
  • hi

i was in the same predicament as you for the past week, see my post
    viewtopic.php?f=20005&t=12896604&p=18057512#p18057512

but i can tell you the quality of the jacket is amazing and worth the bit extra.

the sizeing is a bit off so i would advise trying it on before you buy

i am a 42" chest so thats a size L or XL but ive had to get a size XXL in the endura

the large size was so small i wouldent even get my arms in the jacket sleeve :shock:
    the XL was ok to put on but too short in the arm and tight on the shoulders
    the XXL was perfact in every way, so you need to buy a least a size up from what you normally wear, but i would say try it on before you buy. :mrgreen:
  • hi

just a update and to help you out maybe

i have used my jacket for the first time today, i was out for just over 2 hours in non stop light rain and heavy mud
    the jacket kept me warm and dry with no issues, the mud on the back (and their was a lot) just wiped off with a cloth and a bit of warm water when i got home

im glad i brought this now and not the altura transformer, but i have learnt a lesson that if its realy mudd im just going to wear my rain jacket over the endura just to stop it getting hammered with mud/crud.
  • :D I bought myself one yesterday :D

I tried one ones from Gore, mavic and spesh in the shop but the Endura seemed much better value. Your right about the sizing. I am 6,2 and 12 stone and I could squeeze into the L but the XL was a much better fit. I know it's a bike jacket but one with out the pockets on the back would be nice :lol:
  • Schellpel wrote:
    :D I bought myself one yesterday :D

I tried one ones from Gore, mavic and spesh in the shop but the Endura seemed much better value. Your right about the sizing. I am 6,2 and 12 stone and I could squeeze into the L but the XL was a much better fit. I know it's a bike jacket but one with out the pockets on the back would be nice :lol:

what jacket did you get ?? the Winchill or the convert ?? :?: and im very surprised you got into a xl been 6,2 you must be around the 39-40" chest :)
  • Schellpel
    I went for the Convert. I am around a 40in chest but there is enough room to get a couple of fin base layers underneath if it ever gets that cold :lol: and I can move around unrestricted.

I am off out this afternoon to give it a good test
  • Schellpel
    Went for a ride yesterday and we have sucess :-)

It was quite windy, cold and we had two showers it it kept me warm and dry. The only thing I need now is a nice merino wool base layer to underneath it. The base layer I have atm is more a wicking layer and is not quite long enough in the back for biking. It will have to wait for a minute as it looks like I am going to be paying the physio to look at my knee :-(