Am I safe to start exercise again yet?

willhub
willhub Posts: 821
edited January 2013 in The bottom bracket
I'm all raring to go on the bike, and since I use it for commuting, I'm going to need it tomorrow and the next few days to commute around Manchester how viewing. I'd rather do that than pay money to take a bus.

I've had a chest infection, and appear to be recovering from it, although I am still coughing a bit and wheezing cause of the odd bits still appearing in my lungs but it's not colored anymore, would steady cycling keeping HR under 150bpm be safe say tomorrow? I'd only be doing like 10 miles tomoz probs not even that.

Comments

• MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    willhub wrote:
    I'm all raring to go on the bike, and since I use it for commuting, I'm going to need it tomorrow and the next few days to commute around Manchester how viewing. I'd rather do that than pay money to take a bus.

I've had a chest infection, and appear to be recovering from it, although I am still coughing a bit and wheezing cause of the odd bits still appearing in my lungs but it's not colored anymore, would steady cycling keeping HR under 150bpm be safe say tomorrow? I'd only be doing like 10 miles tomoz probs not even that.

I'd play safe and wait until it's cleared up. Last time I went out with a recovering chest infection, I had to turn back after 6 miles :? :(
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Give it a couple of days
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Doctor Roger Bannister had a severe cold before he broke the 4 minute mile mark.

He was going to forfeit the attempt, but when the cold moved from his chest to his head only, he knew he was fine and went for it.

Subsequently I would say whilst any cold symptons remain in the chest you should hold back a bit.

I would nt rent a house to a snotty git on a bike :lol:
  • Nah, wait a week and just think happy thoughts to get rid of bad Karma cold effects. Ching.
    I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast, but I'm intercontinental when I eat French toast...
  • Bwgan
    Bwgan Posts: 389
    When you exercise your immune system drops slightly, so id say no
  • You reckon you have had a chest infection............
    Are you just getting rid of the debris left behind??????

Listen to your body it will tell you what is best...... OMG I'm sounding like some new age hippy.
    My own homespun logic, probably complete b*ll*xs.
    I reckon getting the blood moving around helps clear the rubbish and brings the repairs on quicker.
    It works for me!!!!!!

Off on a roll around the countryside now
    Cheers
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    when you are ready to start riding, wear lots of layers, fluids before during after, take it easy :)
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • willhub
    willhub Posts: 821
    Yeah might ride tomorrow hopefully, not far, just 18 miles round Manchester, with layers suitable for -20.
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    willhub wrote:
    Yeah might ride tomorrow hopefully, not far, just 18 miles round Manchester, with layers suitable for -20.

Or just a stab vest and rape alarm :lol:
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424
    Bwgan wrote:
    When you exercise your immune system drops slightly, so id say no

you're right real, proper, energetic exercise does reduce your immune systems ability, but it's Will. :D

When you exercise gently, 20 to 30 minutes a day, your circulation improves and the distribution of white blood cells improving your immune system.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    edited January 2013
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Give it a couple of days

And then kill yourself.
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    Alternatively, cheer up a little.

Anyway, Diesel Dog's back. Get the Christmas Lynx out, put on your cleanest pair of boxer shorts and get amongst it. Shouldn't be too hard. You're a good cook aren't you?
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    jim453 wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Give it a couple of days

And then kill yourself.

Now that's harsh - apologise. Anyway, if he does that, not only will he lose his deposit on any garret he may find but his mates will be miffed off because they will have to find someone else to do the washing up/cleaning/cooking/biatch work.