New sportive bike with Di2 - suggestions ?

welwynbee
welwynbee Posts: 3
edited January 2013 in Road buying advice
Advice needed ! Been riding a six year old Trek bought second hand for a while, dura ace group set etc. Lovely machine but looking to move on with a sportive ready bike with Ultegra Di2. Signed up to do the London to Paris in 2013, but still suffering with dodgy shoulder after I broke my collar bone last May - great excuse to move to electronic shifting.

Considering everything and anything including custom build, budget up to say £4k. Tempted by 2013 Focus range but the race geometry of the the Pro 2 may be a little agressive.

Any views would be appreciated !

Comments

• napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Just stick Di2 on your trek? Canyon are good value for Di2
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    Spesh make a Roubaix Di2. It's on the top limit of your budget, but one of the most comfortable frames out there. I have a knackered shoulder and get on well with my secteur of the same geometry.
  • Trikeman
    Trikeman Posts: 151
    A hearty recommendation - you can't find better. :D

viewtopic.php?f=40091&t=12897270

Regards,

Trikeman. :wink:
    With a huff and a puff the old man gets to the top - eventually ;o

After one enormous 'cull' this is all that's left.
    Sabbath September Ti.
    Specialized Stumpjumper Pro FSR.
  • Thanks for the advice, all.

I thought about using the Trek frame but its not ideal size-wise ( I bought the whole bike for £500, it was just too good not to buy!).

The Spesh certainly looks a good option but at £4k they still seem to cut corners - a tiagra cassette and chain seems a strange choice. Might give it a go at Evans.

Has anyone specced a titanium frame with Di ?

Happy New Year to all cyclists and lets hope 2013 is above all, a safe one.

Cheers

WB.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    welwynbee wrote:
    The Spesh certainly looks a good option but at £4k they still seem to cut corners - a tiagra cassette and chain seems a strange choice.

Whilst I'm no fan of Specialized, is it really worth worrying about the cassette and chain? 50 gram weight difference on the cassette for twice the price? Would you actually put the higher spec items on when you came to replace them? Cassettes and chains are just consumables and the only difference you'll ever notice buying the higher range stuff is the damage it does to your pockets.

Personally, I'd be glad they aren't hyping the price by including pointlessly costly consumables into the build.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,836
    Scott Foil Frame (£1300) http://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/frames-c6/road-frames-c112/scott-foil-15-di2-aero-road-frameset-2012-p197476

Groupset (£1200) http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/road-parts/transmission/groupsets-road-bike/shimano-ultegra-di2-groupset.html

That leaves you with £1k for wheels and finishing kit. So you can either save a bit of money or get some expensive wheels (dura ace etc).
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • GavH
    GavH Posts: 933
    Mate of mine just bought a JAMIS XENITH with Ultegra Di2 from Evans for under £2000 at the weekend.

Personally never heard of Jamis, but a quick google threw up a few results suggesting its an OK bike with offering good VFM albeit hee-haw snob factor. If you're into that kind of thing. :wink: