Agostinho

solosuperia
solosuperia Posts: 333
edited September 2013 in The cake stop

Just found this photo.... Couldn't resist posting it.
This bloke was as tough as old boots!

Comments

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,315
    Is this BR Top Trumps ?

I'll match you with this:

duclos_g3%20cut.jpg

Gilbert Duclos-Lasalle, tougher than Agostinho, so there :P
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Some great hardman photos here:-
    http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/paris%20roubaix

Love Jens Voigt covered in mud.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    I win:

sean_kelly_roubaix_1983.jpg
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,315
    Not so fast batman:

Johan-Museeuw-1024x662.jpg
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    I see your mud and raise you snow & ice. :wink:
    gavia+1988.png
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • ^^^Winner!!

That's madness! Cannot even begin to imagine what that must feel like.
  • richsieb
    richsieb Posts: 137
    Think of the ordeal his hands must have been going through
  • I'd be crying & asking for my mummy by this point! I can handle a lot of sh*t, but horrible biting cold I cannot cope with unless i am kitted up. Brrr
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Like the snow and ice. Paris-Nice?

Was going to try and top it with the broken nose but went for fisticuffs with les farmers instead:

Hinault-Paris-NiceSmall-740299.jpg
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Is this BR Top Trumps ?

I'll match you with this:

duclos_g3%20cut.jpg

Gilbert Duclos-Lasalle, tougher than Agostinho, so there :P

Not with suspension forks!
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • daviesee
    Me-109 wrote:
    Like the snow and ice. Paris-Nice?

Was going to try and top it with the broken nose but went for fisticuffs with les farmers instead:

Hinault-Paris-NiceSmall-740299.jpg
    Andy Hampsten in the 1988 Giro.
    You may prefer this one. A shot of Bernard Hinault permanently losing the feeling in 2 fingers after riding through the snow in the 1980 Liege-Bastogne-Liege.
    lbl80a.jpg
  • daviesee wrote:
    gavia+1988.png

Not really the right rider though. That's Johan van der Velde who was first over the summit of the Gavia, but stopped in one of the refuges on the descent (what a lightweight! :wink: ) and finished 48 minutes down on the stage winner, Erik Breukink.

172049.jpg
  • How about Fiorenzo Magni?
    In the 1956 Giro d’Italia, stage 12, Fiorenzo Magni famously broke his left clavicle and still managed to finish 2nd place overall. At the hospital he refused a to put on a plaster cast and refused to abandon the Giro in the year of his announced retirement. Magni continued the race with his shoulder wrapped in an elastic bandage. To compensate for his inability to apply force with his left arm, he raced while holding a piece of rubber inner tube attached to his handlebar between his teeth for extra leverage. Since his injury prevented him from effectively braking and steering with his left hand, Magni crashed again after hitting a ditch by the road during a descent on stage 16. He fell on his already broken clavicle, breaking his humerus, after which he passed out from the pain. They put him in an ambulance, but when Magni regained his senses and realized that he was being taken to the hospital he screamed and told the driver to stop. Magni took his bike was able to finish the stage in the peloton, who had waited for him

FiorenzoMagni.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1350823089745
  • daviesee
    ^^^^ New winner? ^^^^
    I was aware but had forgot about that one.
    Not really the right rider though.
    :oops:
    If people are going to post photos on the web could they please tag them correctly to enable accurate Google searches. :wink:
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Agostinho sounds like quite a character - 3 years guerilla warfare before he started cycling - sounds like his death was preventable with proper medical treatment too.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    With winter fast approaching I thought I'd revive this thread :lol:

ymbo.jpg

I agree with daviesee about Andy Hampsten on stage 14 of the 1988 Giro d'Italia.

The image shows Hampsten near the top of Italy's famous Passo Gavia climb covered in snow, barely visible. :shock:

His efforts that day saw him take second place on the stage behind Dutchman Erik Breukink, he then went on to take the overall win :)
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,450
    daviesee wrote:
    gavia+1988.png

Not really the right rider though. That's Johan van der Velde who was first over the summit of the Gavia, but stopped in one of the refuges on the descent (what a lightweight! :wink: ) and finished 48 minutes down on the stage winner, Erik Breukink.

172049.jpg

Yeah, but van der Velde wasn't wearing arm warmers or mitts which are really girly!

Compare and contrast with this year where races in similar conditions were shortened or cancelled and the riders were dressed for an Artic expedition (and moaned a lot more too).