Carerra Subway 8 - advice on upgrades

Harland71
Harland71 Posts: 59
edited January 2013 in The workshop
Hi,
Have decided to try and do some commuting this year and have picked up a used Carerra Subway 8.
Commute is a fairly flat 9miles on NCN routes.
So my questions are:

Can i get more out of the gears, top end, by changing the rear sprocket ? If so does anyone have any buying advice please?

Also, the chainring has signs of wear as does the chain - again, any tips on what products to buy to replace them?

Finally... is there anywhere i might find (online) a handbook/spec for the subway8?

All help appreciated :)
Stressed is just desserts spelt backwards… mmmm… Desserts.
Homer J Simpson

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    11 teeth on the rear sprocket is as high as the gears can go I am afraid. However a larger chainring set will up the gearing. What ratios do you have?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Most Nexus hubs (as on the 8's) come with a 16 or 18T, you can get smaller to raise the gearing, what T count do you have right now?

Chain and front, chain, any 8 speed chain, as for the chainring, is it removeable or riveted on?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Shimano rear sprockets are cheap items and work well. Fitting them to a Nexus is a bit tricky, there are youtube guides to manipulating the split (or snap) ring. Take care not to lose it by flying off at high velocity.
    Front chainrings should be simple unramped ones, as thick as possible for the chain, to match your bolt hole pattern.
    Any 8 speed chain will work but the singlespeed and hub gear ones have less lateral flex. Some come with anti-corrosion treatments. I use SRAM and KMC chains.
    You have to live with the limited gear range of Nexus; you can shift the range up and down but you cant make it wider. You can learn to spin more rapidly, easier if your crank is not too long and you have a pedal attachment system.
  • Hi Guys - ok, my setup appears to be:
    Chainring = 44t
    Sprocket = 19t
    pics of each attached, chainring is 'well worn' i would say but appears it can be removed replaced by 4 bolts?

in terms of gearinf spread i would be happy with something that feels like the big ring in my MTB - if that makes any sense :?
    Stressed is just desserts spelt backwards… mmmm… Desserts.
    Homer J Simpson
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Ring looks removeable, but some rivets are made to look like bolts - check!

You could go down a size at the rear or up at the front....

I have a 46T Saint front ring no longer required.......only about 300 miles road use, PM me if you're interested.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.