With new wheels fitted on page 6 25-11-2014

After a suitably muddy ride last night
temporary-2.jpg
temporary-3.jpg

Spec list (abbreviated)
2006 Kraken frame, home painted Ford Metallic purple
Superstar stem, Bikehut carbon bars turning a Manitou Skareb elite set of forks
Mavic Crossrides
SRAM X7 (front) and Rocket (rear) shifters operating LX front mech and XT rear, XT cassette.
Truvativ Powerspline crankset running double and bash
Panaracer XC pro (both wired) front (2.1) and rear (1.8 ) although I would normally have had the Fire Mud on the rear for that weather.
Dealextreme front light!
Total cost of parts on bike is £424.28 with much of it being sourced used from the classifieds and ebay it weighs in at 11.35Kg without pedals (11.2Kg with the folding fire Mud on the rear), bike was built up by me from a bare frame (the only other original parts are the mech hanger and under BB cable guide!).
Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.

Comments

• DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    & yellow cables :wink:

Bargaintastic that and a nice build.
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Nice, isn't it great getting a frame and building something yourself, can't beat it.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The yellow gear cables were a slight extravagence, but only about £2 dearer for the bike than black (Jagwire)....

As an engineer I like the challange of building the best bike for the money I can, and this way I know the bits that are as good as I need, and those that could do with improving, it's been at near enough this spec for about 7 months now (time to change!) and been 100% reliable except when a powerlink came undone for no fathomable reason!

I'm now looking for a lighter frame (The Kraken frame is 1735g, so looking to loose at least 300g) - as long as the price is right (anyone got a 26" Scandal frame for sale?)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • http://static.panoramio.com/photos/large/59091201.jpg £250 build from ebay and what not. Got the Frame for £30 delivered!!

SRAM X-9 Rear Gearing, Shamano Front gears, GT Transeo 3.0 Frame, Clarks S2 brakes (just Bought Bengal Helix 3's), Manitou Axel Forks (Changed to SR Suntour) etc...
  • The Rookie
    temporary-59.jpg
    temporary-60.jpg

Bike now is running a 22/36 on Deore HT2 crankset, front mech has been replaced by a double specific Deore which is also lighter than the older LX, Brakes are now M775 XT levers controlling an M800 Saint PM front caliper (same as an M765 XT) and an M965 XTR IS mount rear for a net weight saving of 123g.

The Carbon bars have been replaced with some wider Syntace numbers and the saddle by a Ti railed Bontrager Inform Race X lite. Some Renthal Kevlar grips now do the job of covering the bars!
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    123g weight saving? it'll be xtr mechs and carbon rims next...

did you get the forks SPV sorted?
  • The Rookie
    Nope this is a budget build - honest! (Current total spend is £623 although that's with some alternate tyres and some bits taken off not yet sold in that total) Without pedals it now comes in at sub 11Kg which is nice.

After a brief ride round locally I've opted for 65psi in the SPV (volume adjuster removed and replaced with a stock cap for a 16g weight saving :lol: In fact the volume adjuster would make more sense on the spring side!) and it seems a lot better, now I realise it's floodgate and I understand how it works (not how Manitou say it works!) and am getting there! The base compression damper is quite soft so I may get some thicker fork oil as well.

The XTR mechs (front) I have weights for are no lighter than the Deore (129g)....and I'm still tossing up with running 1x9 to shed about 240g with my top secret (sic) plan to make an inner guide ring so I can run without a chain guide, made from CF and mounted to the granny tabs, I reckon it will weigh no more than about 30g, maybe match to a suitable thickness CF bash! (Bling tastic, why does no-one sell them!)

The Crossrides are a bit heavy (1900g wheelset) but I don't have the budget to change them just yet, besides I'm still running wired tyres and could make about a 150g saving by having similar in tubeless!
  • am i allowed to mention that ugly front tyre? ;)
  • The Rookie
    Yes, it's a Marmite tyre, I know that! Same on the back but without the red stripe!

In defence of the choice, my normal local riding is over a massive range of different surfaces, a lot of people I ride with use the XC Pro's as we've found them to not be bad on any of them.....maybe not the best on any either of course!
  • Im just messin. I dont like the white or red stripes on the schwalbe either ;) My mate commuted on them 30 miles per day for years over mixed terrain and loved them and i took the piss each time i saw him too :)
  • The Rookie
    Hey no probs.....I like the red stripe.....everyone knows what tyre you have! My Fire muds for the rear when it gets very muddy have the stripe.
  • mrmonkfinger
    After a brief ride round locally I've opted for 65psi in the SPV (volume adjuster removed and replaced with a stock cap for a 16g weight saving :lol: In fact the volume adjuster would make more sense on the spring side!) and it seems a lot better, now I realise it's floodgate and I understand how it works (not how Manitou say it works!) and am getting there! The base compression damper is quite soft so I may get some thicker fork oil as well.

great stuff
    The Crossrides are a bit heavy (1900g wheelset)

1.9kg is heavy!? My hope wheelset is about 1.9kg!
  • The Rookie
    The standard wheels on the lads Spesh were 2kg, his Fulcrum RM5s are 1800g's!
  • mrmonkfinger
    The base compression damper is quite soft so I may get some thicker fork oil as well.

Forgot to mention I had similar experience with my manitou shock, it has adjustable compression so I was able to simply tweak the adjusters to get it to match the (marzocchi) fork's compression better.
    besides I'm still running wired tyres and could make about a 150g saving by having similar in tubeless!

Providing your rims are ok with it (and most are with rim strips or ghetto) you'll never look back.
  • The Rookie
    It'll be either strips or Ghetto, but not until I'm running folders!
  • Looking good. Great to see a Kraken being fettled - they really are worthy of improvements.
    Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    So where are these new Christmas upgrades?! :D
  • The Rookie
    The XT crankset is on complete with CF inner chain guide and E13 chainring, front mech and shifter and cable have gone and weight is now 10,971g. Full update after the ST-M765 right hand lever goes on with the XTR rear mech..... Trying to finish the lads Scott RC20 as well!
  • Greer_
    Down to the last 1g! Thats a lovely weight, especially with those wheels. Wired tyres still? Is that the chain guide you were talking about making yourself? Take it it worked okay then!

Would ya mind posting a full spec + weights at some point when ya get a chance? Would quite like to see some real life weights! (and do a bit of comparing!)
  • Nice to see another budget build :)

Great for the cash!!
  • The Rookie
    Thanks gents...
    Yes once the update is finished I'll do some new photo's and a full spec list with weights.

Haven't put the chain back on, so not tested the CF chainguide yet.......the E13 ring isn't quite central between the 2 guide rings so I may have to add some spacers unfourtunatly...
  • The Rookie
    edited January 2013
    So update now complete....
    Carbon fibre inner chain guide home made, total weight is 49g, 40g for the ring and 9g for the bolts.....
    20121230_105936.jpg
    20121230_105926.jpg
    20121230_105918.jpg
    All on my new (to me) XT crankset......
    A quick test ride showed no chain retention issues, I'm thinking of replacing the outer bash with another CF one, as 2 of 2mm thick should be plenty strong enough!
    Also swapped the rear shifter and lever for an STI version - 17g saving
    20121230_110025.jpg
    and XTR rear mech (older style) replaced the previous XT
    20121230_110025.jpg

So it's nearly a new bike....
    20130101_114807.jpg

Total weight is now 10,869g feels really lively!

• Frame: 7005 Aluminium Carrera Kraken
    • Forks: Manitou Skareb elite - tuned (1450g)

• Front Brake: Shimano XT ST-M765/Saint M800 (398g)
    • Rear Brake: Shimano XT M775/XTR M965 (281g)
    • Rotors: Tektro/Alligator (101g/72g)
    • Rotor Bolts: ??? (24g)

• Grips: Renthal Kevlar (77g)
    • Handle Bars: Syntace Duraflyte 640mm (233g)
    • Stem: Superstar 80mm 31.8mm (122g)
    • Headset: FSA No17 (Zero Stack) (117g)
    • Headset Spacers: Bikehut CF

• Gear Shifters: Integrated into right hand brake lever (1x9)
    • Chain: ??? (240g)
    • Cassette: XT 11-34 (296g)
    • Chainset: Shimano Deore XT double bash and E13 single 32t (773g)
    • Bottom Bracket: Shimano Deore Hollowtech ii (95g)
    • Chainstay Protector: MBUK (30g)
    • Pedals: Ritchey (350g)
    • Front Mech: None - Chainguide: Inner carbon fibre disc (49g inc bolts)
    • Rear Mech: XTR (200g)
    • Gear Cables: Jagwire

• Wheelset: Mavic Crossride Front: 916g - Rear: 1073g
    • Tyres: Panaracer XC Pro 2.1/1.8 (720/620g)
    • Tubes: Schwalbe (120g x2)
    • QR Skewers: Shimano Deore XT (126g)

• Saddle: Bontrager inform RXL (197g)
    • Seat post: Promax carbon fibre (233g)
    • Seat Clamp: Unknown brand QR (40g)
    • Bottle Cage: None - blanked with Nylon bolts
  • Like the carbon bash thing! Where did you get the carbon from!
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Sorry, can't get past that feppin front Tyre. Fine as a pair..........
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • The Rookie
    Carbon came from ebay (where else) and cost a substantial £11.50 delivered!

I have a Fire mud for the rear (knocks 140g off as it's a folder) need to put it on before a serious ride, that is red striped....
  • The Rookie
    Duplicate post!
  • Carbon came from ebay (where else) and cost a substantial £11.50 delivered!

Got a link tothe seller? Would like to make my own bash!
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Considering your wheels and tyres weigh an absolute ton that seems suspiciously light!

Carbon bash looks great - surely be lighter to just use a seat tube mounted guide, Paul's ones are light.
  • Greer_
    How do you find the flat bars by the way? I'm not sure if I actually need the rise as I have them rotated that much, and the backsweep hurts my writs after a while!
  • The Rookie
    A seat tube guide can be a fraction lighter (Helium is 24g), but can (not always) have issues when back pedaling, as my local rides include a fair number of gates/styles with a lift over, that has caused other people issues, so this having the same robustness 'in reverse' is helpful. Besides I may replace the outer bash with CF as well, 2x2mm thick should be strong enough!

I know it is 'suspiciously light' but I can assure you it's genuine, last time I had the bike properly clean (I really can't be bothered that often!) I cross checked it with the weight at the time and it came out within 50g, I have allowed for everything on my chart (yes each item weighed individually which I know can cause rounding issues etc) including the 2 cable ties, but not guards or lights.

My previous have all been risers, only done a few rides on flat, but so far I like them...