BB & shock Help

Jonny the Leyther
Jonny the Leyther Posts: 86
edited January 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Got a bargain Mongoose Teocali frame, the shock is very stiff but holds air pressure when I pumped it up, how do I get it moving again? The blok I bought it from said it hadn't been used in a while so could this be the problem?

On the BB it's 73mm long and needs about 115mm of clearance for the chainstay, what BB's would go with this? Anything at all that's 73mm upwards?

Any recommendations?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Do you want a BB or a whole crankset? If you just want a BB, then what style is the crankset?

It could be lack of use making it stiff, does it have lockout (and it it on)? Don't force it as that is the quick way to damage it, was it stiff with all the air out, what pressure did you put in and how did you decide it?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I'd have a BB or crankset, going 1x9 or 1x10 set up.

The shock doesnt have a lockout, it's only a Suntour Epicon. It was stiff with all the air out, I put it to 250psi then dropped it to 175psi without even seeing a change in it. The maximum is 300psi.
  • On the shock, what's the general thing that people do when they get a 2nd hand bike with a rear shock?

Do you take it to bits and grease all the bearings or do you do something with the shock itself?
  • The Rookie
    Is it the shock that's stiff or the bearings in the frame? unbolt the shock at one end and see how easy the rear moves, if it's still tight it's the bearings! If the shock needs servicing, then remove and service it!

OK so what crankset do you have now? No point getting a crankset if you'rs is OK, just get a BB if it's needed!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Cheers mate, ill give that a try in a bit.

I havnt got a bob or crank yet, just a frame thats got a 73mm bb English thread, needs a bit of clearance from the chain stay too. About 115mm I reckon.
  • Just took the shock off and the frames fine.

Servicing a rear shock will be something new to learn!
  • The Rookie
    OK if you have no crankset now, the obvious one to get is a Shimano HT2, used or new depending on your budget!