BBC1 29/12 6:45pm - Superstars is back

tailwindhome
tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
edited January 2013 in Pro race
From recollection cyclists don't have a great track record in these events....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/20328545

Alistair Brownlee: Gold, triathlon
Jonathan Brownlee: Bronze, triathlon
Mo Farah: Gold, 5,000m and 10,000m
Robbie Grabarz: Bronze, high jump
Michael Jamieson: Silver, 200m breast stroke swimming
Anthony Joshua: Gold, super-heavyweight boxing
Andrew Triggs Hodge: Gold, rowing (coxless four)
Peter Wilson: Gold, shooting (double trap)
Nicola Adams: Gold, flyweight boxing
Lizzie Armitstead: Silver, cycling (road race)
Laura Bechtolsheimer: Gold and bronze, dressage
Gemma Gibbons: Silver, judo
Helen Glover: Gold, rowing (coxless pair)
Katherine Grainger: Gold, rowing (double sculls)
Jade Jones: Gold, taekwondo
Christine Ohuruogu: Silver, 400m
“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!

Comments

• Thinking of what the events used to be, reckon the Brownlee brothers might have this sewn up
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Can't wait! :D
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    My money's on Johnny Brownlee and Helen Glover.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • skylla
    skylla Posts: 758
    no jessica ennis? shame
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,076
    Likely to be the best thing on tv this Christmas. Which isn't saying much of course. My uncle made us watch Mrs Browns Boys the other day. Pure sh1te.
  • zammmmo
    zammmmo Posts: 315
    only thing is they dont seem to take it as seriously now compared with Jacks and Keegan et al from the 70s/80s. bah!
  • RichN95.
    zammmmo wrote:
    only thing is they dont seem to take it as seriously now compared with Jacks and Keegan et al from the 70s/80s. bah!

It was a big deal back in those days those. Brian Jacks made a very good living off it - more than he did from Judo.

I recently saw a website dedicated to the results from back in those days and in the Euro version the likes of Raymond Poulidor and Joop Zoetemelk took part - and were rubbish.

I see Lizzie's dips tonight (total of 2) did nothing to dispel the idea that pro cyclists have the upper body strength of a four year old.
  • RichN95 wrote:
    It was a big deal back in those days those. Brian Jacks made a very good living off it - more than he did from Judo.

Indeed. I had to look up what sport he actually did!
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,924
    Disappointing. I was looking forward to but I thought it was all rather lightweight.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • Drumlin
    Drumlin Posts: 120
    Very enjoyable, glad to see Lizzie A upholding the cyclists tradition - I remember back in the day wincing as Joop Zoetemelk struggled with the dips too.
    Would welcome company for Sat rides west/south of Edinburgh, up to 3 hrs, 16mph ish. Please PM me if interested/able to help.
  • Dabber wrote:
    Disappointing. I was looking forward to but I thought it was all rather lightweight.
    pretty much as I was expecting, decent way to pass 1.5hrs though
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    Remember this from years ago. Always remember the F1/Racing drivers always doing really well. At the time I could never understand it but learning more on how much of a pounding they get in those cars makes total sense.

America had this show as well except it always seemed to be the Corner Backs in American football who always showed to be consistently the best.
  • zammmmo
    zammmmo Posts: 315
    rebs wrote:
    Remember this from years ago. Always remember the F1/Racing drivers always doing really well. At the time I could never understand it but learning more on how much of a pounding they get in those cars makes total sense.
    Yes and not always by doing it by the book. Remember a (South African?) driver called Jody Schechter (spelling?) who put suntan oil on the squat thrust plinth to reduce friction in the days where they could simply slide their feet back and forth. Now I notice they're having none of that business - they have redesigned the plinths to stop any sliding.
  • lucan2
    lucan2 Posts: 293
    Who won then?
  • RichN95.
    Lucan2 wrote:
    Who won then?
    Anthony Joshua and Helen Glover
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    I love Jade Jones a little bit.
  • Joshua showed some excellent form on the bike - though too much showboating almost lost him his win on the line
  • Joshua showed some excellent form on the bike - though too much showboating almost lost him his win on the line

lol! he was like Boonen in the schelderprijs a few years ago with posh rower AKA Cav coming under his armpit!
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    he's got 40kg or so he could lose too.

lol! he was like Boonen in the schelderprijs a few years ago with posh rower AKA Cav coming under his armpit!

Exactly like!
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    The clip they showed of Brian Jacks smashing through 100 dips showed how serious this was taken back in the day.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I wish they would bring it back properly
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Yeah, used to be fun back in the late 70's, and was taken seriously. Still remember Kevin Keegan then playing for Liverpool coming off the bike, difficult to enivisage Alex Fergueson et al allowing one of his top stars to take part, say Wayne Rooney.

I recall it being brought back for a few episodes back in 2002, think Boardman did quite well, might have won if he been allowed to do the mtn biking event. The events they were forced to sit out always made a difference.
  • lol! he was like Boonen in the schelderprijs a few years ago with posh rower AKA Cav coming under his armpit!

Minor point, but Andy Triggs-Hodge isn't posh by the usual assessment of things. He went to Upper Wharfedale School (a state school) and Staffordshire University, where he took up rowing. Such was his talent on the water that he found his way to Oxford Uni as a post-grad. There was much greater poshness - particularly on the ladies' side - elsewhere!

I thought the show was great fun; the main difference between the Brian Jacks days and today is that the competitors are much better at looking like they're not taking it seriously. The competition was pretty fierce, even in the demo swimming race between Dame Rebecca, Michael Jamieson and Iwan Thomas.

I was very surprised at how slow the Brownlees were over 100m; maybe they got bad starts or were saving their hamstrings, but they (particularly Al) weren't much slower on average in the 800m than the 100m.

Did chuckle at Lizzie's "dips". She did at least beat Joop Zoetemelk who, if memory serves, failed to trouble the scorers in the 70s. She looked quite nifty as a distance runner, though. (As an aside, I remember being astonished when Chris Boardman did a Sport Relief or Comic Relief version of Superstars back in 2002 that he did over 50 dips. No wonder he couldn't climb hills with that sort of upper body bulk to haul up with him!)
  • Daz555 wrote:
    The clip they showed of Brian Jacks smashing through 100 dips showed how serious this was taken back in the day.

Jacks was essentially a "Professional Superstar" if memory serves. He'd certainly long since retired from Judo. He was one of my heroes in the 70s/80s. I was always gutted when he came up short in the international version. Never did warm to Brian Hooper, who won the World Superstars once. Andy Ripley (RIP) was another giant of that Superstars era.

If you like a bit of nostalgia, there is the 1980 Superstars final on You Tube somewhere. It's in parts, and the part containing the 100m is missing, which is a shame, but the epic weightlifting competition between Jacks and Daley Thompson is there. As Daley had won the Olympic Decathlon between the heats and the final, he wasn't fully prepared for the whole competition, but he clearly had his eye on the weightlifting event!