Free hub Wear

balmybaldwin
balmybaldwin Posts: 127
edited December 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello,

Would like to get some opinions on the wear discovered on a friends freehub today.

Bike is 3 months old, and has probably done less than 200 miles. This is an Easton EA70XC hub, with the original freehub. The cassette he is running is the original SRAM X9 (we think - everything else is X9). It required a great deal of patience, and some force to get the cassette off the hub due to this wear.

Surely this shouldn't happen especially so quickly??

Thanks

Ed
Bikes:
Cannondale Killer V 1995 (Promo model) - My first Race bike now converted to a commuter
Lapierre X-Flow 712 - XC fs rocket
Pivot Mach 6 - Enduro Machine
Pinarello FP2 - Roadie

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Aluminium freehub? Looks about right.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Unfortunately is something that happens to alloy freehub bodies. Worse if the cassette does not have an alloy carrier. Most of the rime is cosmetic, unless it really chews it up. That is not too bad. A file to take the burrs off helps.
  • supersonic wrote:
    Unfortunately is something that happens to alloy freehub bodies. Worse if the cassette does not have an alloy carrier. Most of the rime is cosmetic, unless it really chews it up. That is not too bad. A file to take the burrs off helps.

Seems to be an awful lot of wear to me given he has only done 200 miles or so, especially as my hub (an EA90XC) has done over double the distance with only the most minor signs of wear. It wouldn't be so much of a concern except that it makes it very hard to remove the cassette, and by current wear I would guess the thinnest fin on the hub will be worn through completely in another 100 miles or so.

Will try to find out what Easton think, my view is this is not fit for purpose
    Bikes:
    Cannondale Killer V 1995 (Promo model) - My first Race bike now converted to a commuter
    Pinarello FP2 - Roadie
  • I wouldn't class that as wear as such. If the cassette stays tight where's the problem?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What is the cassette?
  • supersonic wrote:
    What is the cassette?

Cassette is a SRAM PG-1050

when reassembling, noticed that unlike shimano the cassette only has barb things to catch the hub rather than full teeth photo below... maybe the problem is the cassette?
    Bikes:
    Pinarello FP2 - Roadie
  • Barbs are not really the problem, the amount of metal pushing is similar. You really need a carrier for the bigger sprockets like xt or slx.
  • Having just read this: viewtopic.php?p=15520556 (see andy_wrx's post) (I realise this is a road topic and looking at the pic above again, it does look like the groove on the hub is deeper than the teeth on the cassette which can't be helping?

It does have carriers for the 3 biggest sprockets, but not for the rest
    Bikes:
    Pinarello FP2 - Roadie