what bb for new howitzer cranks on carrea vulcan

richie wake
richie wake Posts: 49
edited January 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi I realy like the look and ratio on these cranks but what bb will I need and length to fit carrera vulcan, bb Needs to be hard wearing but also not to pricey
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mobi ... elID=31151

Comments

• bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    What is pricey? They start from around £25.
  • Well for a budget bike £30 and under? Think the only original part left on the bike is the frame .
  • LJ.
    LJ. Posts: 149
    I don't think you have much choice they use Howitzer
  • LJ. wrote:
    I don't think you have much choice they use Howitzer

will any howitzer bb fit, whats the different sizing when you go to order ? what is the standard size? cheers rich
  • LJ.
    LJ. Posts: 149
    You will want the 68/73mm version for that frame and I notice they also come in 51mm or 56mm chainline measurements but that I am not sure about
  • LJ. wrote:
    You will want the 68/73mm version for that frame and I notice they also come in 51mm or 56mm chainline measurements but that I am not sure about

thats the bit im really unsure on
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The vulcan is 68mm, the standard chainline is 47.5mm, so I'd use the 51mm!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The vulcan is 68mm, the standard chainline is 47.5mm, so I'd use the 51mm!

Thanks for that , just have to find a way of buying cranks bb casset and chain without the wife going nuts.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029

Thanks for that , just have to find a way of buying cranks bb casset and chain without the wife going nuts.
    Why do you want those specific cranks?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675

Why do you want those specific cranks?
    Then look at something different.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Must say they aren't the obvious choice of cranks for a Vulcan.....Some used Octalink or Truvativ Powerspline would be a good step up from the OE square taper and a setup can be had for £15-25 good used, or Deore HT2 for a bit more.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks all for the repiles, have gone with the deore cranks