Unusually high heart rate

ExigeR
ExigeR Posts: 120
Was off the bike since the 24th and got back on yesterday but found i had an unusually high heart rate though out the ride (turbo trainer)

It was (give or take) 20bmp higher than normal for the same watts than what i normally do.

Not been eating or drinking well over xmas, as in next to nothing not over eating/drinking could this be something to do with it.

This is the trainer road ride from yesterday.

http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/140585

And how it normally looks

http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/120242

As you can see its high from the get go. Have checked the HR monitor next to my other one and they both say the same so that rules that out.

Has anyone had this problem before, any ideas how to fix me :D

Comments

• maryka
    maryka Posts: 748
    You're possibly ill, fatigued/stressed (not from training but from life in general) or you're just super rested and fresh.

I have always found my HR to be much higher when fully rested, especially when I carried a high training load and then tapered for a one-day race (e.g., Ironman). This is the #1 reason why I don't train by HR, because I find it too variable. If I had trained by HR when carrying my heavy training load, I would have way overdone my efforts. If I had raced by HR when fully rested, I would have way underdone my effort. So that's why I use power on the bike and pace on the run for training and racing, it's much better than HR to guide your efforts.

HR is useful though. If you keep a log, you should track stuff like HR vs training load vs type of training vs sleep hours, etc. etc. It can teach you a lot about your body.
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    Why haven't you been eating well?, what's stopping you from eating properly is quite likely to be the cause of an elevated HR
  • ExigeR
    ExigeR Posts: 120
    Thank maryka, sounds like it could be a mix of a few basic things. I have started using the virtual power on trainer road over the last couple of months and know what you mean about not training to HR it was just that i could see it was so high compared to what it normally is.

danowat, don't really want to go into it on here but i guess it's stress related....

Would it be best to do some light turbos over the next week instead of trying to push it.

Sorry for the silly questions but i have only been riding for 18 months and hoped to get up to speed over the next few months.
  • stress will elevate your heart rate, i would say be careful as not eating properly could effect you, but train to feel and see how it goes. As has been said heart rate can chop and change due to so many different factors you can't rely on it 100%
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    Just take it steady until things settle down a bit then :)